Tag Archives: Manifesto

A California man was arrested after police found multiple weapons, bullets with anti-cop messaging, and a racist manifesto in his vehicle


Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Douglas Ross to unveil Scots Tories’ manifesto with call to halt ‘reckless and dangerous’ independence referendum


Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Accused El Paso Walmart Shooter Apparently Posted Racist Manifesto Before Attack

Accused El Paso Walmart Shooter Apparently Posted Racist Manifesto Before AttackJOEL ANGEL JUAREZ/Getty ImagesPatrick Crusius has been identified as the suspected gunman who attacked a Walmart store in El Paso, Texas, a senior law-enforcement source told The Daily Beast. Crusius’ identity was first reported by CNN.Crusius apparently foreshadowed the attack online almost an hour beforehand, according to postings reviewed by The Daily Beast. Crusius, 21, is a resident of Allen, Texas, outside Dallas. Police said one person is in custody for the attack. Authorities “ruled out” multiple shooters and said there are no outstanding suspects. Twenty people were killed and scores more injured in the attack, officials said.Mass Shooting at El Paso Walmart; Gunman ‘Started Shooting Everyone, Aisle by Aisle,’ Witness SaysAn eyewitness told The Daily Beast a white man in his twenties, who was dressed in black, opened fire with a rifle in front of the store’s entrance around 11 a.m. The gunman shot one person at point-blank range, the eyewitness said. Surveillance footage captured the gunman entering the store, where another eyewitness said he fired “aisle by aisle.”  El Paso Police Chief Greg Allen, who stopped short of naming the suspect, said that authorities were reviewing a “manifesto.” “Right now we have a manifesto from this individual, that indicates to some degree, it has a nexus to potential hate crime,” Allen said at a Saturday night press conference. He went on to add, however, that authorities were still working to “validate” that it was written by the suspected shooter. Approximately 45 minutes before the first report of gunfire, a user on the forum 8chan announced that they were planning an attack, indicated that they were in Texas, and that they would use an AK-47—similar to the weapon photographed on the gunman—to carry out the attack. The announcement was accompanied by an anti-immigrant manifesto that invoked white supremacist terms to justify violence against Hispanic people. Authorities say three Mexican nationals were among the dead in the attack on the predominantly Hispanic city that borders Ciudad Juarez, Mexico.The same user also uploaded a letter addressed to Crusius from Collin College, dated April 9. The college said after the shooting that Crusius had attended school there until spring 2019. The letter was first reported by Bellingcat, an investigative website.White supremacist shooters sometimes post manifestos or links to other literature, in the hopes that a terror attack will draw attention to the writings. These manifestos are sometimes intended to inspire other acts of violence. The author of the apparent El Paso manifesto claimed to have been inspired by a manifesto written by the white supremacist who allegedly murdered 51 worshippers at a mosque in New Zealand this year. The alleged attacker of a synagogue in Poway, California, earlier this year also cited that manifesto.Hours after the El Paso attack on Saturday, law enforcement blocked off a home in a well-kept neighborhood of brick and stucco homes with manicured lawns in Allen. At the end of a cul-de-sac where FBI and state police had gathered, ATF agents went door-to-door in an attempt to speak with neighbors.One neighbor, who declined to give her name, said she believed Crusius was living with his grandparents. “They’re very good people, they’re very straight people,” she said, adding that she attended church with the pair. —With reporting fron Dan Singer in Allen, TexasRead more at The Daily Beast.Get our top stories in your inbox every day. Sign up now!Daily Beast Membership: Beast Inside goes deeper on the stories that matter to you. Learn more.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Banning of manifesto raises free speech debate in N. Zealand

Banning of manifesto raises free speech debate in N. ZealandDUNEDIN, New Zealand (AP) — New Zealanders are debating the limits of free speech after their chief censor banned the 74-page manifesto written and released by the man accused of slaughtering 50 people at two mosques in the city of Christchurch.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Kellyanne Conway: Mosque shooter's manifesto only mentions Trump once

Kellyanne Conway: Mosque shooter's manifesto only mentions Trump onceThe White House counselor urged Fox News viewers to read the entire 74-page manifesto of the mass shooter who killed at least 50 people in New Zealand, claiming it will show that he was not inspired by President Trump.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

New Zealand mosque shooter 'acted alone'; sent manifesto to Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern

New Zealand mosque shooter 'acted alone'; sent manifesto to Prime Minister Jacinda ArdernPolice in New Zealand said on Sunday that the right-wing terrorist behind a massacre at two mosques in Christchurch was acting alone, as it emerged the killer's manifesto had been sent to the country's prime minister minutes before the tragedy unfolded. Australian Brenton Tarrant, 28, sent a racist, rambling manifesto to prime minister Jacinda Ardern in which he denied being linked to any organisations and said he was acting on his own. The document, which praised President Donald Trump and Norwegian mass killer Anders Breivik, was emailed to Ms Ardern's office just 9 minutes before the attack began. However, a senior White House official said it was unfair to cast the shooter as a supporter of President Trump based on one reference to him in the manifesto.  Acting chief of staff Mick Mulvaney told "Fox News Sunday" that the shooter was a "disturbed individual" and an "evil person." Mr Mulvaney said attempts to tie the shooter to any American politician "probably ignores some of the deeper difficulties that this sort of activity exposes." It came as a man whose wife was killed in the attack as she rushed back into a mosque to rescue him said he harbours no hatred toward the gunman, insisting forgiveness is the best path forward. "I would say to him 'I love him as a person'," said Farid Ahmad, whose wife Husna Ahmad, 44, was killed at the Al Noor mosque – the first of two targeted by the gunman. "I could not accept what he did. What he did was a wrong thing," he added. A man reacts following the attacks on Friday. Asked if he forgave the 28-year-old white supremacist suspect, he said: "Of course. The best thing is forgiveness, generosity, loving and caring, positivity." Tarrant has also broadcast the massacre live on social media, using a head-mounted camera, which sparked an outcry across the world as platforms such as Facebook were slow to take down the grisly footage. Facebook, YouTube and Twitter had scrambled to take down duplicates of the video at the request of the New Zealand police. The footage showed worshippers being sprayed with bullets, with some trying to crawl away, as Tarrant moved through Al Noor Mosque. A spokesman for Facebook said it had blocked or removed 1.5m copies of the video after the original was streamed online. Traditional media outlets were also criticised for broadcasting lengthy segments of the 16-minute video clip. Sky New Zealand removed Rupert Murdoch-owned Sky News Australia from broadcasts after the channel repeatedly screened extracts of the footage. “We made the decision on Friday with Sky News Australia to replace their live news with sport,” Sky New Zealand tweeted on Friday evening. The call was made “to ensure coverage doesn’t compromise ongoing investigations in NZ”. On Sunday, Ms Ardern said the bodies of those who died were beginning to be returned to their families as of that evening. She said it was expected all would be returned by Wednesday. Two days after the massacre, Dunedin woman Jackie Lawton, 34, said she was "still just overwhelmed and so sad” thinking about the lives lost. She went to a vigil with hundreds of others, held outside Dunedin’s Al Huda Mosque on Sunday afternoon. The last time Ms Lawton attended a vigil was in December, to honour slain British backpacker Grace Millane. “When Grace Millane was murdered the whole country mourned, deeply, for weeks. We felt like we knew her, even though she’d been here for such a short time,” she said. “This is 50 people though – each one as loved and needed as Grace. This is Grace times 50 and I don’t know if we can even process that.” Flowers, candles, and messages of solidarity had been placed in front of the mosque and a group sang hymns before performing a haka. Vigils have been held the length of the country over the weekend. Christchurch local James Tawhiti, 41, had driven down to Dunedin on Saturday “because it was too tense and sad and awful." “We’ve all already been through the earthquakes, that screwed a lot of people up,” he said. “But this is somehow worse because it’s a man-made tragedy. Natural disasters aren’t evil like this and it just feels like we’ve lost something, maybe our innocence.” Three students from Cashmere High School were at the Al Noor Mosque for Friday prayers when the attacker burst in. Two of the students are presumed dead and the third is in the hospital with gunshot wounds. The father of Sayyad Milne, 14, told the New Zealand Herald that his son was last seen lying on the bloody floor of the mosque bleeding from his lower body. "I've lost my little boy. He's just turned 14," he told the newspaper. "I remember him as my baby who I nearly lost when he was born. Such a struggle he's had throughout all his life. He's been unfairly treated but he's risen above that and he's very brave. A brave little soldier. It's so hard … to see him just gunned down by someone who didn't care about anyone or anything," Milne said. "I know where he is. I know he's at peace." Current students weren't the only ones caught in Friday's mass shootings, the deadliest terrorist attacks in the country's modern history. A former Cashmere High School student is also believed to have been killed, as was the father of another student. Outside the school on Sunday, students came in a trickle to lean bouquets of flowers up against a construction barricade, evidence of the ongoing rebuilding from Christchurch's 2011 earthquake. Principal Mark Wilson said counselors and trauma specialists will be on hand when classes resume at the diverse school of more than 2,000. "I'm very confident in our staff; I'm very confident in our school community. It's made up of awesome people," Wilson said. "It's still going to be hard. There's going to be a lot of grief. There's going to be a lot of sadness. I think we've also got to be very patient with each other." Wilson declined to talk about the boys believed to have been killed, but confirmed three students were at the mosque on Friday and said one remained hospitalized with gunshot wounds to the leg. The principal noted that schools can often be a safe place for children coping with trauma. He is also encouraging students to take up their own acts of love to counteract the tragedy.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Jacinda Ardern received Brenton Tarrant's manifesto nine minutes before New Zealand attack

Jacinda Ardern received Brenton Tarrant's manifesto nine minutes before New Zealand attackNew Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said her office received a "manifesto" from the gunman suspected of killing 50 people in two Christchurch mosques minutes before Friday's attack. "I was one of more than 30 recipients of the manifesto that was mailed out nine minutes before the attack took place," Ms Ardern told reporters on Sunday. "It did not include a location, it did not include specific details," she said, adding that it was sent to security services within two minutes of receipt. Australian Brenton Tarrant, 28, a suspected white supremacist, was charged with murder on Saturday. Tarrant was remanded without a plea and is due back in court on April 5 where police said he was likely to face more charges. Ms Ardern said she had read "elements" of the lengthy, meandering and conspiracy-filled far-right "manifesto". New Zealand mosque massacre – In pictures "The fact that there was an ideological manifesto with extreme views attached to this attack, of course, that is deeply disturbing," she said. The massacre was live-streamed around the world by the gunman and the shootings have raised new questions about violence being disseminated online. Ms Ardern told the briefing that she had been contacted by Facebook operations chief Sheryl Sandberg who had acknowledged what had happened. "This is an issue that I will look to be discussing directly with Facebook," Ms Ardern said. Facebook said on Twitter it had removed 1.5 million videos of the attack in the first 24 hours and it was also removing all edited versions, even those without graphic content. Tom Watson, Labour’s deputy leader, demanded social media sites freeze their websites in the event of a terrorist atrocity to prevent people sharing graphic images of terrorist violence. He said a “radical rethink” was needed after Tarrant broadcast live the shootings on Facebook before it was shared among millions of people. “If social media sites can't stop the videos being uploaded to their platforms then they should suspend all uploads,” he said. “If you have to review a massacre to assess whether it breaches your terms and conditions you've got the wrong business model.” For almost three days forensics teams have been working through multiple crime scenes – at the Al Noor and Linwood mosques as well as a house in Dunedin, the southeastern city where the Tarrant lived. Bodies of those he gunned down had remained inside the mosque awaiting autopsies and identification by increasingly distraught family members desperate to begin Muslim burial rites. Ms Ardern tried to reassure them on Sunday. "I can confirm that the bodies of those who have died are beginning to be returned to their families from this evening," she said, adding that all were expected to be released by Wednesday. It is customary in Islam to bury the dead within 24 hours. Terror in New Zealand | Read more Ms Ardern said police would be posted at all mosques while they are open. Police Commissioner Mike Bush earlier said the body of the 50th victim was found at the Al Noor mosque, where more than 40 people died after a gunman entered and shot at people with a semi-automatic rifle with high-capacity magazines, before travelling to a second mosque. As the bodies of some victims were released to their families, a list circulated by relatives showed they ranged in age from three to 77 and included at least four women. Amid the sadness, there have also been tales of heroes such as Alabi Lateef and a fellow worshipper, who followed the 28-year-old Australian gunman to his car and used a discarded rifle to smash the vehicle's back window. Alabi said he told worshippers to duck down and then described how he and a "brother" decided to confront the attacker during a lull in the gunfire. "By the time he got there (outside the mosque) the bullets were finished and the gun was used," Lateef recounted. The pair's actions may have helped saved further casualties, as Tarrant was apprehended by two armed police officers soon after. Daoud Nabi, a 71-year-old Afghan man, reportedly ran into the line of fire to save fellow worshippers at the Al Noor mosque and died shielding someone else from a bullet. "He jumped in the firing line to save somebody else's life and he has passed away," his son Omar told AFP. Haji Daoud Nabi (pictured), 71, a father-of-five and retired engineer, moved to New Zealand from Afghanistan in 1977  The mosque attacks have shaken this usually peaceful country, which prides itself on welcoming refugees fleeing violence or persecution. Ms Ardern has vowed to change the country's gun laws and to uncover how a self-avowed extremist legally purchased two semi-automatic weapons, reportedly AR-15s, two shotguns and a lever-action gun without drawing the attention of the authorities. It has also has emerged that a former soldier raised concerns about extremism at Tarrant's gun club in Dunedin. Ardern said the cabinet would be briefed on Monday on the aftermath of the disaster and begin discussions "around issues like, for instance, gun policy."



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

NZ manifesto resembles Norway mass murderer's text

NZ manifesto resembles Norway mass murderer's textCOPENHAGEN, Denmark (AP) — The manifesto that the presumed New Zealand shooter published is shorter and "more sloppy" than the one written by a Norwegian right-wing extremist who killed 77 people in 2011, but expresses similar sentiments, a Swedish terror expert said Friday.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

New Zealand mosque gunman livestreamed shooting, published manifesto

New Zealand mosque gunman livestreamed shooting, published manifestoAn Australian gunman whose assaults on two New Zealand mosques Friday left at least 49 people dead, published a racist manifesto on Twitter before livestreaming his rampage. The New Zealand government said it could be illegal to share the video, which showed the gunman repeatedly shooting at worshippers from close range. The Facebook Live video, taken with a camera that appeared to be mounted on the gunman’s body, shows a clean-shaven, Caucasian man with short hair driving to the Masjid al Noor mosque in central Christchurch.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Vatican ex-doctrine chief pens manifesto amid pope criticism

Vatican ex-doctrine chief pens manifesto amid pope criticismVATICAN CITY (AP) — The Vatican's former doctrine chief has penned a "manifesto of faith" to remind Catholics of basic tenets of belief amid what he says is "growing confusion" in the church today.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines