Tag Archives: within

Trump to drop out of 2020 race within months, former aide Scaramucci claims

Trump to drop out of 2020 race within months, former aide Scaramucci claimsDonald Trump will quit the 2020 race and not seek re-election, according to a former top aide.Anthony Scaramucci, the short-lived White House communications director, said the president will likelu quit the race in March to avoid the humiliation of defeat.“He’s gonna drop out of the race because it’s gonna become very clear. Okay, it’ll be March of 2020. He’ll likely drop out by March of 2020. It’s gonna become very clear that it’s impossible for him to win,” he said in an interview with Vanity Fair.“He’s got the self-worth in terms of his self-esteem of a small pigeon. It’s a very small pigeon. And so you think this guy’s gonna look at those poll numbers and say — he’s not gonna be able to handle that humiliation.”He also encouraged a primary challenger to take on Mr Trump, using a Game of Thrones analogy to make his case. “You know, this is like ‘Game of Thrones.’ We need an Arya Stark, okay? We gotta take this guy out because this is like the Night King.“The minute the Night King is vaporised, all the zombies are gonna fall by the wayside, right? We had the Wicked Witch of the West, but he is the Wicked Witch of the West Wing. We gotta get some water thrown on him. He’ll start melting.”In recent weeks, Scaramucci has escalated the feud with his old boss, saying Mr Trump would eventually “turn” on the “entire country”, and likening him to the Chernobyl nuclear disaster.He also claimed this week that Twitter temporarily locked him out of his account after he called Mr Trump “the fattest president” after the president fat-shamed a protester.Mr Trump has previously hit back at Scaramucci, saying he was “incapable” of handling his White House role – which lasted just a few days – and would “do anything to come back in”.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

‘We Are Being Eaten From Within.’ Why America Is Losing the Battle Against White Nationalist Terrorism

‘We Are Being Eaten From Within.’ Why America Is Losing the Battle Against White Nationalist TerrorismFor decades, U.S. officials ignored the growing threat of domestic extremism. That may finally be changing



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Sharks bite three people on the same beach in separate attacks within 24 hours

Sharks bite three people on the same beach in separate attacks within 24 hoursThree people have been bitten by sharks on the same beach in just 24 hours, with two attacks occurring within 30 minutes of each other.Multiple separate attacks were recorded over the weekend at New Smyrna Beach in Florida, an area which has been called the “shark attack capital of the world”.A 20-year-old surfer, Emily Comfort, was bitten on her left hand and wrist on Saturday, according to Volusia County Beach Safety, and taken to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.Approximately half an hour later, a 21-year-old surfer named Riley Petrovich was treated for a shark bite on his right foot.He refused transport to a hospital, according to officials.On Sunday, beach officials reported that 51-year-old Peter Bourbeau was bitten by what he described as a 4ft shark while standing in knee-deep water.Mr Bourbeau said he kicked the shark and it swam away.It is not known whether any of the attacks were committed by the same predator.Gavin Naylor, director of the Florida Programme for Shark Research at the Florida Museum of Natural History, told CNN that sharks are often drawn to New Smyrna Beach by bait fish which gather nearby.“If you like to surf and you surf in this particular spot, the chances are high that you have been within 10ft of a shark,” he said.“The surfers all know this. They routinely report seeing sharks in the area. While it may be news to the non-surfing community, it is widely-known to scientists and surfers.”Shark sightings are relatively common in Volusia County, where there has been 303 unprovoked attacks recorded since 1882, according to research by the Florida Museum of Natural History.That number is the highest for a county in the US.There have been 1,441 confirmed unprovoked shark attacks in the US since 1837 with the majority occurring in Florida (828 attacks), according to the museum.In 2018, the museum reported 16 unprovoked shark attacks in the state, accounting for half of all such attacks in the US last year.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Why Did Two Chinese SU-30 Fighters Fly Within 150 Feet of a Nuclear 'Sniffer' Plane in 2017?

Why Did Two Chinese SU-30 Fighters Fly Within 150 Feet of a Nuclear 'Sniffer' Plane in 2017?A U.S. official told CNN the two Chinese jets came within 150 feet of the U.S. plane, with one flying upside-down directly above it.As reported by CNN a U.S. Air Force (USAF) WC-135 was intercepted by two Chinese Sukhoi Su-30 fighters on May 17, 2017 while flying in international airspace over the East China Sea.According to the statement from Air Force Lt. Col. Hodge, the American flight crew described the encounter as “unprofessional.”“While we are still investigating the incident, initial reports from the U.S. aircrew characterized the intercept as unprofessional. The issue is being addressed with China through appropriate diplomatic and military channels,” He explained.(This first appeared in 2017.)A U.S. official told CNN the two Chinese jets came within 150 feet of the U.S. plane, with one flying upside-down directly above it.The WC-135 Constant Phoenix, whose mission is looking for distinctive elements a nuclear test of any type would emit into the air, has been regularly deployed on routine missions in Northeast Asia where it has been used to gather evidence of possible nuclear tests by North Korea.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Lawyer: El Chapo was whisked away within hours of sentencing

Lawyer: El Chapo was whisked away within hours of sentencingHours after receiving a life sentence, convicted Mexican drug kingpin Joaquín "El Chapo" Guzmán was forced to make a sudden departure to the highest-security prison in the U.S. to serve the term, his lawyer said Thursday.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Lawyer: El Chapo was whisked away within hours of sentencing

Lawyer: El Chapo was whisked away within hours of sentencingOnly hours after receiving a life sentence, convicted Mexican drug lord Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman was forced to make a sudden departure to the highest-security prison in the U.S. to serve the term, his lawyer said Thursday. A government helicopter whisked the narco, notorious for his daring jailbreaks, out of New York City on Wednesday after the sentencing in federal court in Brooklyn, said defense attorney Jeffrey Lichtman. For most defendants, there's a lag between sentencing and a decision by the Bureau of Prisons on where to house them.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Mueller report will be released within a week: U.S. attorney general

Mueller report will be released within a week: U.S. attorney generalDuring a congressional hearing, Barr was repeatedly challenged by Democrats who raised suspicions that he may have misrepresented Mueller’s report to paint the Republican president in a better light. Barr, an appointee of Trump who last month announced what he said were the main findings of the report, said he would be as open as possible about redactions of sensitive information when he hands over the full document. “Within a week I will be in position to release that report to the public and then I will engage with the chairmen of both judiciary committees about that report, about any further requests that they have,” Barr said at his first appearance before Congress since receiving the report on March 22.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

FAA: Boeing 737 Max upgrades expected within weeks – but 'time is needed' for a 'rigorous' review

FAA: Boeing 737 Max upgrades expected within weeks – but 'time is needed' for a 'rigorous' reviewThe FAA expects to receive the final package for Boeing's software improvements on the 737 Max aircraft in 'coming weeks,' the agency said Monday.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

New Zealand shooting: Jacinda Ardern to announce gun law reforms within 10 days

New Zealand shooting: Jacinda Ardern to announce gun law reforms within 10 daysJacinda Ardern, New Zealand's prime minister, said on Monday gun law reforms would be announced in 10 days, after meeting her cabinet for the first time since the massacre in Christchurch. The shock of the attacks, in which 50  people were killed and dozens wounded at two mosques, has led to calls for an immediate tightening of laws to restrict access to some firearms, particularly semi-automatic weapons. Ms Ardern said on Monday that her cabinet had made in principle decisions around the reform of gun laws following the mass shooting in Christchurch "I intend to give further details of these decisions to the media and the public before cabinet meets again next Monday," she said at a press conference. "This ultimately means that within 10 days of this horrific act of terrorism we will have announced reforms which will, I believe, make our community safer." Terror in New Zealand | Read more She said an inquiry would look at the lead up to attack and what might have been done differently. The owner of a New Zealand gun store said on Monday the man charged with murder in Christchurch's mass shooting had bought firearms and ammunition online from the store, but it did not sell him the high-powered weapon used in the mosque shootings. Australian Brenton Tarrant, 28, a suspected white supremacist, was charged with murder on Saturday. Tarrant was remanded without a plea and is due back in court on April 5 where police said he was likely to face more charges. Gun City owner David Tipple said the alleged gunman bought four weapons and ammunition between December 2017 and March 2018. "The MSSA, military-style automatic, reportedly used by the alleged gunman was not purchased from Gun City. Gun City did not sell him an MSSA, only A-category firearms," Mr Tipple told a news conference in Christchurch. Gun City owner David Tipple gestures during a press conference in Christchurch Credit: AP Under New Zealand gun laws, A-category weapons can be semi-automatic but limited to seven shots. Video of a gunman in one mosque showed a semi-automatic with a large magazine round. Mr Tipple said the online purchases followed a police-verified online mail-order process and A-category firearms were bought in three or four purchases. "We detected nothing extraordinary about the licence holder. He was a brand new purchaser, with a brand new licence," he said. Tightening New Zealand's gun laws was at the top of Ms Ardern's agenda for the Cabinet meeting on Monday. "What the public rightly are asking right now is why is it and how is it that you are currently able to buy military style semi-automatic weapons in New Zealand, and that's the right question to ask," Ms Ardern told TVNZ earlier on Monday. "There are ways we can bring in effective regulation of firearms that actually target those we need to target and that is our focus." Mr Tipple said he supported Ardern's call for gun law reforms as the Christchurch shootings had raised legitimate concerns. New Zealand, a country of only 5 million people, has an estimated 1.5 million firearms. The minimum age for a gun license is 16, and 18 to own a semi-automatic weapon. A Radio New Zealand report, based on police data secured through an Official Information Act request, said more than 99 percent of people who applied for a firearms licence in 2017 were successful. A New Zealand standard A-category firearm licence is issued after a police and background check. No licence is required to buy a large round magazine, which can be illegally modified for use in such a weapon. Only firearm owners are licensed, not weapons, so there is no monitoring of how many weapons a person may possess. The plans for gun control measures came as Tarrant's court-appointed lawyer said the suspect intended to represent himself.  Duty lawyer Richard Peters, who represented Tarrant during the preliminary court hearing, told AFP the 28-year-old "indicated he does not want a lawyer". "He wants to be self-represented in this case," said Mr Peters, who played down suggestions that Tarrant may not be fit for trial. "The way he presented was rational and someone who was not suffering any mental disability. That's how he appeared. He seemed to understand what was going on," Mr Peters said. New Zealand mosque massacre – In pictures Ms Ardern was the first signatory of a national condolence book for the country's worst mass killing that she opened in the capital Wellington on Monday. "On behalf of all New Zealanders, we grieve together. We are one. They are us," she wrote in the book. Frustration was building among the families of victims as under Islam it is custom to conduct burials within 24 hours, but bodies will not be released until post mortems are carried out. Deputy Police Commissioner Wally Haumaha said the first body was approved for release on Sunday night, but the family was yet to take the body because another relative was also killed and they wanted to collect them together. He said there would be no burials on Monday. "We’ve been working fairly hard through the night to ensure the process of returning the deceased to their loved ones is taking place expediently," he said. The burial process, which usually involves washing with three kinds of water, salving wounds and scrubbing skin, would be complicated, volunteers in Christchurch said. Muslims embrace after overseeing the excavating of graves at a Muslim cemetery in Christchurch, New Zealand Credit: AP Mo, a volunteer who had flown in from Brisbane to wash the bodies, said the people who died in the mosques were classified as martyrs. That meant there were different views as to whether they would be washed or not because he said Islamic jurisprudence said martyrs are not to be washed as their blood was witness to their martyrdom. "But some people have said because it was not a battlefield it is okay to wash the body. But it is at the discretion of the family," said Mo. He asked to be identified by just one name. The two mosques involved in the shootings have been closed since the massacre, but are expected to reopen by Friday prayers after cleansing blessings were carried out, said Haumaha. "This morning we conducted two important blessings at the Deans Avenue mosques and the Linwood mosque," he said. "This blessing this morning gave them (the Muslim community) huge confidence…We hope to have those premises in place by the end of the week to allow our Muslim community to go back and undertake prayer." Sign up for your essential, twice-daily briefing from The Telegraph with our free Front Page newsletter.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Victims testify at child sex abuse conference, Pope promises to fight ‘enemy within’

Victims testify at child sex abuse conference, Pope promises to fight ‘enemy within’Francis convened Catholic leaders from around the world for the four-day meeting to address the scandal that has ravaged the Church’s credibility in the United States – where it has paid billions of dollars in settlements – Ireland, Chile, Australia, and elsewhere over the last three decades. “Faced with the scourge of sexual abuse committed by men of the Church against minors, I wanted to reach out to you,” Francis told the assembled bishops and heads of religious orders. Francis, opening the conference of nearly 200 participants in a Vatican auditorium, added that victims deserve “concrete and efficient measures” and not mere condemnations.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines