Tag Archives: victims

Hawaii skydiving crash victims included young couple, sailor

Hawaii skydiving crash victims included young couple, sailorAll 11 people on board a skydiving plane died when it crashed and burned at a small airfield north of Honolulu last week. The Honolulu Medical Examiner’s office has identified seven victims, including a young couple from Colorado celebrating their first wedding anniversary, several skydiving instructors and a Navy sailor. The Navy said Lt. Joshua Drablos, 27, was “an invaluable member” of the U.S. Fleet Cyber Command, based in Kunia, Hawaii.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

9/11 first responder pleads for victims fund from his hospice bed

9/11 first responder pleads for victims fund from his hospice bedLuis Alvarez, who testified with Jon Stewart, asked Congress to ‘do the right thing’ in what he expects to be his last interviewAn emergency first responder who was diagnosed with cancer following his work at Ground Zero in New York has spoken from his hospice bed just days after he testified alongside comedian and activist Jon Stewart about funding for those sickened by their work after the 9/11 terrorist attacks.Retired New York police department (NYPD) detective Luis Alvarez used what he expects to be his final interview to give a last impassioned plea to Congress to renew the 9/11 victims fund and deal with an “epidemic” of Ground Zero-related illnesses.Alvarez said on Thursday that after nearly 70 rounds of chemotherapy, doctors had told him there was nothing more they could do. He was diagnosed with colorectal cancer in 2016 that has spread to his liver.“It’s an epidemic. There’s going to be more and more first responders getting sick. And our government has to take care of them. It’s just a matter of decency, a matter of doing the right thing. We did the right thing when we went down there. Now it’s the government’s turn to do the right thing by us,” Alvarez, 53, told Fox News.> UPDATE: 9/11 first responder Luis Alvarez does an interview with @FoxNews as his liver is failing after breathing in toxic dust after the Twin Towers fell t.co/cIUomvx6OJ> > — Nikki Schwab (@NikkiSchwab) June 20, 2019Alvarez said going through cancer has been stressful for his whole family. “We need to ease the stress on the first responders,” he added. “And let them know that they’re not alone. That the government is here to back them up, to give them the support they need, the financial support that they’re going to need when they get sick. It’s just a matter of time. You know, most of us that were down there – it’s just a matter of time before we get sick.”It came just nine days after he received a standing ovation in Washington DC, where Stewart and other first responders addressed the House judiciary committee, to speak out against plans to cut 9/11 compensation by up to 70%.“You made me come down here the day before my 69th round of chemo, and I’m going to make sure that you never forget to take care of the 9/11 responders,” he said at the hearing. But the following day his health took a downturn and doctors concluded that his liver had shut down.Speaking with his son David by his side from a hospice in Long Island, near New York City, Alavarez said to Fox News host Shepard Smith on Thursday: “We need this bill passed, Shep. It’s got to be passed quickly and efficiently so we never have to come down to Washington again and lobby.”He said he was comfortable and “at peace” surrounded by his family and that he had “no regrets whatsoever”.He insisted that he was just doing what any fire, police or emergency worker would have done when he spent three months at the site of the 9/11 attacks, searching for remains and clearing up in a smoldering, toxic pile after terrorists flew hijacked passenger jets into the World Trade Center. He added: “I’m nobody special. I did what all the other guys did. And now we’re paying the price for it.”He said he is leaving his sons David, 29, Tyler, 19, and Ben, 14, “without a father”.While he said he was “lucky” to have had the heath care that he has, there are people in his position who do not.He said it was time for the government to act: “We just want the money to be there for our families so that God forbid they do get sick, they’re covered.”He said they were told the air was safe – which it was not – but even if they had known it was unsafe they would have gone in regardless, “because that’s what we do”.He said the problem is a US-wide issue among first responders who travelled to New York after the 9/11 attacks to help and warned others to be vigilant.“I just want them to know, hey if you were down at Ground Zero … get yourself checked out. Because you could be sick from ground zero,” he added.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

A 5th Grader and a 'Big-Hearted' American. These Are Some of the Victims of Sri Lanka's Easter Bombings

A 5th Grader and a 'Big-Hearted' American. These Are Some of the Victims of Sri Lanka's Easter BombingsAt least four Americans were among the nearly 300 killed, officials said



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Hero firefighter and his GP wife named among British victims of Sri Lanka terror attacks

Hero firefighter and his GP wife named among British victims of Sri Lanka terror attacksA former firefighter and his GP wife have been named as among the eight Britons killed in the Easter Sunday terror attacks in Sri Lanka. Bill Harrop and Dr Sally Bradley from Manchester had been on holiday in the country when they were killed in the blast that struck the Cinnamon Grand Hotel. Mr Harrop's son Gavin, who had joined them on the trip, survived the blasts as he was staying in a different hotel. Assistant County Fire Officer Dave Keelan, of Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service, paid tribute to his former colleague who was decorated for his role in the aftermath of the 1996 IRA attack on Manchester. He said: "This is devastating news and the thoughts of Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service are with Bill and Sally's families. "Bill served here for 30 years, retiring at the end of 2012. He was a much a loved and respected colleague and friend. He will be greatly missed." Bill Harrop in 2012 when he was Stockport Borough Commander of GMFRS Credit: MEN media The couple had been living in the Australian city of Perth since 2013 where Dr Bradley was practising medicine, but were due to return to the UK soon. They had bought a retirement home in the Cotswolds, Dr Bradley's nephew Jonathan Bradley said. He described her as a "true daughter of Manchester" who had worked as a GP in Salford, a director of public health in Manchester and as a consultant. She was sister to Labour peer Lord Keith Bradley, former MP for Manchester Withington who paid tribute to her Monday, describing her as "truly a bright light in many people's lives. "The light may have been cruelly distinguished for no reason or justification, but she will always live in our hearts and the memories she provided will be forever cherished. I, and my family, will miss her more than words can articulate." Read more | Sri Lanka attacks Other relatives described Dr Bradley as "kind, loyal and hardworking", saying "she lived for adventure". The family said in a statement: "She was the personification of joy that life could bring if you approached it with a smile on your face and warmth in your heart. She dedicated her professional life to public service and was a true daughter of Greater Manchester." "Their aim was always to experience life to the fullest. Kindred spirits they travelled the world together, safe in each other's arms and with smiles across their faces. "They were the heartbeat of their families and the inspiration in their lives. They will be forever sorely missed, but never forgotten." Dr Bradley was the director of clinical services at Rockingham Peel Group in Perth. Executive director Kathleen Smith told 6PR radio: "She absolutely loved living in Australia. She felt very at home here. "They (Dr Bradley and Mr Harrop) were soulmates, they just lived for each other. "He had two boys, which Sally took on as her step-sons. She talked about them as if they were her own." No group has claimed the attacks, but Sri Lankan officials have named little-known Islamic extremist organisation National Thowfeek Jamaath. The seven suicide bombers were all Sri Lankan citizens but the group is believed to have links with foreign terrorist networks. At least 290 people were killed in the explosions and more than 500 were wounded. Twenty-four people have since been arrested in a series of raids.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Relatives of German bus crash victims arrive in Madeira

Relatives of German bus crash victims arrive in MadeiraFUNCHAL, Portugal (AP) — Relatives of some of the 29 German tourists who died in a bus crash in Madeira arrived on the Portuguese island on Friday as investigators pushed on with the task of finding out why the bus veered off the road and plunged down a slope.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Thousands attend NZ vigil, rally to fight racism, remember Christchurch victims

Thousands attend NZ vigil, rally to fight racism, remember Christchurch victimsAbout 15,000 turned out for an evening vigil in Christchurch in a park near the Al Noor mosque, where a suspected white supremacist killed more than 40 of the victims. Many non-Muslim women wore headscarves at the vigil, some made by members of Christchurch’s Muslim community, to show their support for those of Islamic faith as they had at similar events last week. Ardern said on Sunday that a national remembrance service would be held on March 29 to honor the victims, most of whom were migrants or refugees.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

New Zealand broadcasts Muslim call to prayer on day of mourning for mosque shooting victims

New Zealand broadcasts Muslim call to prayer on day of mourning for mosque shooting victimsAt 1.32pm, exactly a week after a gunman began shooting people at two mosques in Christchurch, the nation of New Zealand observed a two-minute silence to remember the 50 victims.  Brenton Tarrant, a 28-year-old suspected white supremacist from Australia, had launched the attack to try to repel “invaders” from New Zealand, he wrote in a manifesto.  Yet, the nation came together on Friday to observe the Muslim call to prayer, which was sounded around the country — including on national radio and television — before ceremonies were attended by tens of thousands of people who paid tribute to the dead and heard calls for unity.  Addressing a crowd of thousands standing quietly at Hagley Park, near the Al Noor mosque where 42 people were killed, Jacinda Ardern, New Zealand’s prime minister, said: “New Zealand mourns with you. We are one.” Jacinda Ardern announced a swift national crackdown on guns Credit: REUTERS/Jorge Silva Imam Gamal Fouda, from the mosque, told the crowd: “We are broken-hearted, but we are not broken. We are alive, we are together, we are determined to not let anyone divide us.”  He added:  “To the people of New Zealand, thank you for your peace. Thank you for your haka. Thank you for your flowers. Thank you for your love and compassion.” Many women wore headscarves to demonstrate solidarity with the grieving community. Across New Zealand, small ceremonies and prayers were conducted at mosques, schools, cafes and offices.  New Zealand mosque massacre – In pictures The nation’s The Press newspaper carried a front page simply saying “Salam, peace” in English and Arabic, and The Dominion Post listed the names of the victims, alongside the words: “1.32pm — Today we remember”. Following the ceremony, mourners gathered at a cemetery to attend a burial service for 26 of the victims, including three-year-old Mucaad Ibrahim, the youngest of the dead. Despite Islamic custom requiring speedy burials, the funerals had been delayed due to the painstaking effort by authorities to identify the victims.  The first to be buried on Friday was Naeem Rashid, a 50-year-old who died trying to tackle the gunman near the entrance of the Al Noor mosque. His 21-year-old son Talha Rashid was also killed. His wife, Ambreen Naeem Rashid, 44, told The Courier Mail of the murderer: “I feel really sorry for him. I feel sorry for all the people who hate in their hearts. They can never have satisfaction.” New Zealand’s terror alert level remains high, despite authorities being confident that the attack was conducted by a lone gunman. Fifty people were killed, and dozens were injured in Christchurch Credit: Kai Schwoerer/Getty Images Ms Ardern has announced a ban on military-style semiautomatic weapons and on the parts and ammunition used in the attack, ahead of a wider overhaul of gun laws over the coming weeks. She and Australian prime minister Scott Morrison have called for an international effort to force technology firms to prevent the spread of online hate speech. The gunman livestreamed his attack on Facebook, which, along with other sites such as YouTube and Twitter, has struggled to prevent the footage being republished online. About one per cent of New Zealand’s 4.8 million residents are Muslim. Imam Fouda said the attack “did not come overnight” and urged the global community to combat Islamophobia. “[The attack] was the result of the anti-Muslim rhetoric of some political leaders, media agencies and others,” he said. “The rise of white supremacy and right-wing extremism is a great global threat to mankind and this must end now.”



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

New Zealand holds first funerals for victims of Christchurch massacre

New Zealand holds first funerals for victims of Christchurch massacreA father and son who fled the civil war in Syria for "the safest country in the world" were buried before hundreds of mourners on Wednesday. The funerals of Khalid Mustafa, 44, and Hamza Mustafa, 15, came five days after a white supremacist methodically gunned down 50 worshippers at two mosques in Christchurch – a massacre that he broadcast live on Facebook. Hamza’s high school principal described the student as compassionate and hardworking, and said he was an excellent horse rider who aspired to be a veterinarian. Those present included Hamza’s younger brother, 13-year-old Zaed, who was wounded in an arm and a leg during the attack. The boy tried to stand during the ceremony but had to sit back in his wheelchair, one mourner said. "We tried to not shake his hand, and not touch his hand or his foot, but he refused, he wanted to shake everybody’s hand, he wanted to show everyone that he appreciated them. And that’s amazing," said Jamil El-Biza, who travelled from Australia to attend the funeral. Female mourners attend the funeral of two victims of the Christchurch terrorist attack at Memorial Park Cemetery Credit: Getty The Mustafas had moved to New Zealand last year, after spending six years as refugees in Jordan. Mustafa’s wife, Salwa, told Radio New Zealand that when the family asked about New Zealand they were told "it’s the safest country in the world, the most wonderful country you can go … you will start a very wonderful life there." She added, "But it wasn’t." Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said the family should have been safe. "I cannot tell you how gutting it is to know that a family came here for safety and for refuge," she said. Families of those killed had been anxiously awaiting word on when they could bury their loved ones. Police Commissioner Mike Bush said police have now formally identified and released the remains of 21 of those killed. Islamic tradition calls for bodies to be cleansed and buried as soon as possible. The burials began soon after Ms Ardern renewed her call for people to speak of the victims rather than the man who killed them. New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern receives a hug from a student during her visit to Cashmere High School which lost two students during a mass shooting  Also on Wednesday, a man accused of sharing video footage of Friday’s massacre was jailed by a judge until his next court appearance in mid-April. And Mr Bush said he believes police officers stopped the gunman on his way to a third attack. Ms Ardern’s plea against giving the accused gunman notoriety followed his move to represent himself in court, raising concerns he would attempt to use the trial as a platform for airing his racist views. During a visit on Wednesday to the high school Hamza and another victim attended, Ms Ardern revisited that thought and asked students not to say the attacker’s name or dwell on him. "Look after one another, but also let New Zealand be a place where there is no tolerance for racism," she told students at Cashmere High School. "That’s something we can all do." Another Cashmere student, 14-year-old Sayyad Milne, also died in the attack. About 30 people wounded in the attacks remained in hospital as of Tuesday evening. About 10 of them were in critical condition, including a four-year-old girl. Brenton Tarrant, a 28-year-old Australian man, has been charged with murder and is next scheduled to appear in court on April 5. Police have said they are certain Tarrant was the only gunman but are still investigating whether he had support from others. Ardern previously has said reforms of New Zealand’s gun laws would be announced next week and she said an inquiry would be convened to look into the intelligence and security services’ failures to detect the risk from the attacker or his plans. New Zealand’s international spy agency, the Government Communications Security Bureau, confirmed it had not received any relevant information or intelligence before the shootings. Sheik Taj El-Din Hilaly, of Sydney, travelled to Christchurch to attend or lead some of the funerals. Through a translator, he said he felt compelled to support the grieving. A nationwide lockdown on mosques was imposed until Monday, which Hilaly said had upset Muslims whom he had visited in Auckland. Police continue to guard mosques across the country. Philip Arps, 44, appeared in a Christchurch court on Wednesday on two charges of distributing the killer’s livestream video of the attack on the Al Noor mosque, the first mosque that was attacked, a violation of the country’s objectionable publications law. Each charge carries a maximum sentence of 14 years in prison. Arps, heavily tattooed and dressed in a T-shirt and sweatpants, hasn’t entered a plea. He remained expressionless during the hearing, his hands clasped behind his back. Judge Stephen O’Driscoll denied him bail. Charging documents accuse Arps of distributing the video on Saturday, one day after the massacre. Bush said they believe they know where the gunman was going for a third attack when officers rammed his car off the road but won’t say more because it’s an active investigation. In a 74-page manifesto he released before the attack, Tarrant said he was going to attack two mosques in Christchurch and then one in the town of Ashburton if he made it that far.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry Honored New Zealand Victims By Visiting The New Zealand House In London

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry Honored New Zealand Victims By Visiting The New Zealand House In LondonThe terror attack on a mosque in Christchurch may have occurred thousands of miles away, but Meghan Markle and Prince Harry made sure to honor the 50 victims of the tragedy on Tuesday by visiting New Zealand House in London and paying their respects.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Stories of the victims of the New Zealand mosque attack

Stories of the victims of the New Zealand mosque attackFifty people were killed in a terror attack at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, on Friday. Some information about the victims:



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines