Tag Archives: Turns

US Supreme Court turns down case of florist who refused to service same-sex couple

US Supreme Court turns down case of florist who refused to service same-sex coupleThe US Supreme Court on Monday ordered a lower court to reconsider the case against a Washington state florist who was fined for refusing to sell flowers for a same-sex wedding on religious grounds. The decision follows the top US court’s June 4 ruling in favor of a Colorado baker who had been found guilty of discrimination for refusing to bake a wedding cake for a gay couple on the basis of his Christian beliefs. The top US court sent the case — involving florist Barronelle Stutzman, who said her Christian convictions barred her from selling a wedding floral arrangement to a same-sex couple — back to the Washington state supreme court for further consideration.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

'Wolf-Like' Animal That Baffled Officials Turns Out To Be A Regular Wolf

'Wolf-Like' Animal That Baffled Officials Turns Out To Be A Regular WolfThe mystery of a seemingly bizarre "wolf-like" creature that was shot and



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Senate FBI hearing takes twists and turns, including a 'wangdoodle' reference

Senate FBI hearing takes twists and turns, including a 'wangdoodle' referenceIt was not, perhaps, the most somber moment in the history of the U.S. Senate. In the midst of reciting a list of complaints about FBI agents allegedly swayed by their own anti-Trump animus, Sen. John Kennedy R-La., had to engage in a subtle act of censorship.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Trump turns his back on Michael Cohen at crucial point in case

Trump turns his back on Michael Cohen at crucial point in caseEmily Jane Fox, senior reporter for Vanity Fair, talks with Rachel Maddow about the betrayal Donald Trump's lawyer Michael Cohen feels at losing the support of Trump, to whom he has devoted so much of his life's work.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

'Murdered' journalist Arkady Babchenko turns up alive after death staged to 'expose Russian plot'

'Murdered' journalist Arkady Babchenko turns up alive after death staged to 'expose Russian plot'By Wednesday afternoon, most of of Arkady Babchenko's friends and colleagues had gone through the familiar cycle of grief and confusion that follows the killing of a Russian dissident journalist.  Obituaries had been written, travel arrangements were in train for the funeral, and Western politicians including Boris Johnson had announced they were "appalled"  Meanwhile, Ukraine had blamed Russia, Russia had blamed Ukraine, and both launched rival investigations to prove their stories.  And journalists in both countries, taught by bitter experience not to trust official probes into the deaths of their colleagues, pledged to run their own investigations. But then came a twist that no one could predict: Vasily Gritsak, the head of Ukraine's Security Service (SBU), called a press conference and announced the whole thing had been a hoax.  Arkady Babchenko, centre, told a Press conference in Kiev the reported murder was part of sting operation to catch a hit squad Credit: VALENTYN OGIRENKO /Reuters For a moment, there was an uncomprehending silence. Then a door opened, and in shuffled a familiar shaven headed man.  Arkady Babchenko was wearing light trousers and a black hoodie. And he was looking somewhat sheepish.  "I have buried many friends and colleagues many times and I know the sickening feeling," he said, by way of explanation. "I am sorry you had to experience it. But there was no other way." "Special apologies to my wife. Olechka, I am sorry, but there were no options here," he said. "The operation took two months to prepare. I was told a month ago. As a result of the operation, one person has been captured, he is being held," he added.  Mr Gritsak said Mr Babchenko's fake death, which fooled his closest friends and family, as well we international media and world leaders, had allowed Ukrainian agents to thwart a genuine plot to take the journalist's life.  Arkady Babchenko was a fierce critic of Vladimir Putin Credit: Vitalii Nosach/Reuters Staging the murder, he implied, was necessary to gain evidence of communication between the hit man and his handlers, who he said worked for the Russian security services.  Yury Lutsenko, Ukraine's prosecutor general, said the alleged plot had involved a Ukrainian citizen recruited by Russian handlers to carry out the murder.  The SBU later released video of what they said was money being handed to the hired killer.  While I am very happy Arkady is alive I am also angry and confused because my fellow reporters and I spent yesterday posting and reading memories we shared of him and feeling very down and out. This was apparently some kind of sting operation. I hope it was worth it.— Simon Ostrovsky (@SimonOstrovsky) May 30, 2018 The death and resurrection of Russia's most famous war correspondent is one of the strangest episodes in the bitter confrontation between Russia and Ukraine.  Kiev hailed a victory and Moscow condemned a stunt. But the move drew criticism from journalists and media freedom groups who said it undermined faith in reporting and played into the hands of governments who dismiss unwelcome coverage as fake news.  News of Mr Babchenko's "death" sent shock waves through the Russian journalistic community and opposition circles when it was announced on Tuesday evening.  Ukrainian police officers guard the entrance to Babchenko's home in Kiev after his body was apparently found Credit: VALENTYN OGIRENKO /Reuters Ukrainian police said the veteran war correspondent had been killed by a gunman lurking in the stairwell outside his Kiev flat late on Tuesday evening.  Police said his wife, Olga, found his body on the threshold of the flat with several gunshot wounds in his back and that he died in an ambulance on the way to hospital.  All of this seemed entirely plausible to those who knew him. The 2016 Kiev murder of Pavel Sheremet, another journalist, has still not been solved Credit: VALENTYN OGIRENKO Mr Babchenko was an implacable public critic of the Kremlin whose public statements had become increasingly abrasive, and the death appeared to fit with a pattern of murders in Kiev.  The unsolved deaths include that of Pavel Sheremet, a prominent Belarusian born liberal journalist who was blown up in his car in 2016.  The gunman in the stairwell and the shots in the back also recalled the deaths of two other prominent Kremlin critics – Anna Politkovskaya and Boris Nemtsov, who were murdered in Moscow in 2006 and 2015.  One Russian war photographer and friend of Mr Babchenko told the Telegraph he was "not surprised," on reflection, that his friend had been killed.  Babchenko had fled Russia over fears to his safety Credit: Akrady Babchenko/Facebook Several acquaintances of Mr Babchenko, many of whom had posted tributes online or even written obituaries for the Russian and foreign media, expressed relief mixed with deep unease over the deception.  And media freedom groups condemned the hoax, saying it could put other journalists in danger and play into the hands of those behind real murders.  "It is pathetic and regrettable that the Ukrainian police have played with the truth, whatever their motive," said Christophe Deloire, the head of Reporter Without Borders. "All it takes is one case like this to cast doubt on all the other political assassinations." Babchenko, a conscript in the Chechen wars, was a fierce critic of Putin Credit: Akrady Babchenko/Facebook Nor did it shine a light on the other unsolved murders – which some Ukrainian activists say the authorities have been distinctly reluctant to investigate with anything like the same level of commitment.  When a Ukrainian journalist asked about the investigation into "a real murder – that of Pavel Sheremet," Mr Gritsak replied: "we have a different topic today." The Russian government, which in the morning had condemned Mr Babchenko's murder and denied accusations of involvement, in the evening welcomed his recovery and swiftly condemned the hoax as "propaganda."  Poroshenko meets Babchenko to celebrate what he called a "brilliant operation." Not everyone agrees. t.co/U0BgtsYQNIpic.twitter.com/Fj9j8ll2Z3— Christopher Miller (@ChristopherJM) May 30, 2018 "The fact that Babchenko is alive is the best news" said Maria Zakharova, spokeswoman for the foreign ministry. "The fact that the whole story was created for propaganda effect is obvious." The Ukrainian government was defiant over the operation last night.  Petro Poroshenko, the Ukrainian president, wrote on Facebook on Wednesday evening.  "I congratulate the SBU. You have conducted a brilliant operation to protect the life of Russian journalist Arkady Babchenko," Petro Poroshenko, the Ukrainian president, wrote on Facebook on Wednesday evening.  Anton Geraschenko, an aide to the Ukrainian interior ministry, justified the pain caused to Mr Babchenko's family and friends by the hoax saying Sherlock Holmes had used the same tactic. "Wasn't that also painful for his relatives a Dr Watson," he wrote on Facebook.     



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Emmanuel Macron Turns to Vladimir Putin in an Effort to Salvage the Iran Nuclear Deal

Emmanuel Macron Turns to Vladimir Putin in an Effort to Salvage the Iran Nuclear DealBoth men want to salvage the Iranian nuclear deal



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Chuck Schumer Turns Melania Trump's 'Be Best' Campaign Against Donald Trump

Chuck Schumer Turns Melania Trump's 'Be Best' Campaign Against Donald TrumpPresident Donald Trump again resorted to childish name-calling to criticize



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Emmanuel Macron turns to Iran to propose widening nuclear deal as Trump wavers

Emmanuel Macron turns to Iran to propose widening nuclear deal as Trump waversEmmanuel Macron and President Hassan Rouhani of Iran on Sunday night agreed to work together to preserver the Iran nuclear deal, in a marked signal to the US.  Less than a week after the French president implored the White House to stick with the agreement during a state visit to the Washington, Mr Macron suggested that the deal could be widened. In what appears to be the latest attempt to prevent Donald Trump scrapping the agreement, the Elysee Palace said Mr Macron proposed in an hour-long phone call with Tehran that discussions should close loop holes in the deal, which have angered the US president. The Elysee said that Mr Macron raised "three additional, indispensable subjects" not covered by the current deal with Mr Rouhani, citing Tehran's ballistic missile programmes, its nuclear activities beyond 2025 and Iran's destabilising influence in the Middle East. It comes after the UK, France and Germany jointly reaffirmed their commitment on Sunday to sticking with the deal, but said that there were "important elements that the deal does not cover, but which we need to address". Mr Pompeo warned over the Iran deal during a visit to Saudi Arabia on a tour of the Middle East Credit: Amr Nabil/AP Mr Macron's intervention came after Mike Pompeo, the US secretary of state, called Iran "the greatest sponsor of terrorism in the world," on Sunday in a further signal that America intends to pull out of the nuclear deal. Speaking at a press conference in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, during his first visit to the Middle East since being sworn in last week, Mr Pompeo struck a hawkish tone as Donald Trump’s deadline for a decision on the deal looms on May 12th. However, he offered hope of some compromise to the UK, France and Germany. “We will continue to work with our European allies to fix that deal. But if a deal cannot be reached, the president has said that he will leave that deal," Mr  Pompeo said. But he added: "Unlike the prior administration, we will not neglect the vast scope of Iran’s terrorism. It is indeed the greatest sponsor of terrorism in the world. In fact, Iran has only behaved worse since the deal was approved. Iran detabilises this entire region." Downing Street on Sunday announced Theresa May has had separate discussions with French President Emmanuel Macron and the German Chancellor Angela Merkel over the weekend in which they solidified their stance in support of the deal. FAQ | Iran nuclear talks In a nod to Mr Trump and in the wake of visits to the US last week from Mr Macron and Mrs Merkel, the three leaders acknowledged there were key issues that needed to be addressed inlcuding the question of Iran's ballistic missile programme and what happens when the deal expires. A Downing Street spokesman said: "They discussed the importance of the Iran nuclear deal as the best way of neutralising the threat of a nuclear-armed Iran, agreeing that our priority as an international community remained preventing Iran from developing a nuclear weapon. "They agreed that there were important elements that the deal does not cover, but which we need to address.” "Acknowledging the importance of retaining the deal, they committed to continue working closely together and with the US on how to tackle the range of challenges that Iran poses.” Number 10 said the three European leaders had also spoken about the “vital importance” of their steel and aluminum industries and their concern about the impact of US tariffs. Iran nuclear talks They pledged to work together to obtain a permanent exemption from the tariffs. There is less than two weeks to go before the May 12 deadline for Mr Trump to decide on the Iran deal. Iran has threatened to restart nuclear activity should Mr Trump scupper the agreement, with President Hassan Rouhani calling Mr Trump a "tradesman" who lacks the qualifications to deal with a complex international pact. On Sunday Mr Rouhani told Mr Macron in a telephone conversation that the Iran nuclear deal was "not negotiable". Speaking on Fox News on Sunday John Bolton, the US administration's new national security adviser, said Mr Trump had yet to make a decision Mr Bolton said: "He has made no decision on the nuclear deal whether to stay in or get out.There is no decision on that yet." A wider question remains regarding North Korea's response to reimposing sanctions on Iran just as negotiations are underway for an historic meeting between Kim Jong-un and the US leader. But Mr Pompeo said yesterday: “I don't think Kim Jong-un is staring at the Iran deal and saying, ‘Oh goodness, if they get out of that deal, I won't talk to the Americans anymore,’"   “There are higher priorities, things that he is more concerned about than whether or not the Americans stay in the [agreement].”



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Emmanuel Macron turns to Iran to propose widening nuclear deal as Trump wavers

Emmanuel Macron turns to Iran to propose widening nuclear deal as Trump waversEmmanuel Macron and President Hassan Rouhani of Iran on Sunday night agreed to work together to preserver the Iran nuclear deal, in a marked signal to the US.  Less than a week after the French president implored the White House to stick with the agreement during a state visit to the Washington, Mr Macron suggested that the deal could be widened. In what appears to be the latest attempt to prevent Donald Trump scrapping the agreement, the Elysee Palace said Mr Macron proposed in an hour-long phone call with Tehran that discussions should close loop holes in the deal, which have angered the US president. The Elysee said that Mr Macron raised "three additional, indispensable subjects" not covered by the current deal with Mr Rouhani, citing Tehran's ballistic missile programmes, its nuclear activities beyond 2025 and Iran's destabilising influence in the Middle East. It comes after the UK, France and Germany jointly reaffirmed their commitment on Sunday to sticking with the deal, but said that there were "important elements that the deal does not cover, but which we need to address". Mr Pompeo warned over the Iran deal during a visit to Saudi Arabia on a tour of the Middle East Credit: Amr Nabil/AP Mr Macron's intervention came after Mike Pompeo, the US secretary of state, called Iran "the greatest sponsor of terrorism in the world," on Sunday in a further signal that America intends to pull out of the nuclear deal. Speaking at a press conference in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, during his first visit to the Middle East since being sworn in last week, Mr Pompeo struck a hawkish tone as Donald Trump’s deadline for a decision on the deal looms on May 12th. However, he offered hope of some compromise to the UK, France and Germany. “We will continue to work with our European allies to fix that deal. But if a deal cannot be reached, the president has said that he will leave that deal," Mr  Pompeo said. But he added: "Unlike the prior administration, we will not neglect the vast scope of Iran’s terrorism. It is indeed the greatest sponsor of terrorism in the world. In fact, Iran has only behaved worse since the deal was approved. Iran detabilises this entire region." Downing Street on Sunday announced Theresa May has had separate discussions with French President Emmanuel Macron and the German Chancellor Angela Merkel over the weekend in which they solidified their stance in support of the deal. FAQ | Iran nuclear talks In a nod to Mr Trump and in the wake of visits to the US last week from Mr Macron and Mrs Merkel, the three leaders acknowledged there were key issues that needed to be addressed inlcuding the question of Iran's ballistic missile programme and what happens when the deal expires. A Downing Street spokesman said: "They discussed the importance of the Iran nuclear deal as the best way of neutralising the threat of a nuclear-armed Iran, agreeing that our priority as an international community remained preventing Iran from developing a nuclear weapon. "They agreed that there were important elements that the deal does not cover, but which we need to address.” "Acknowledging the importance of retaining the deal, they committed to continue working closely together and with the US on how to tackle the range of challenges that Iran poses.” Number 10 said the three European leaders had also spoken about the “vital importance” of their steel and aluminum industries and their concern about the impact of US tariffs. Iran nuclear talks They pledged to work together to obtain a permanent exemption from the tariffs. There is less than two weeks to go before the May 12 deadline for Mr Trump to decide on the Iran deal. Iran has threatened to restart nuclear activity should Mr Trump scupper the agreement, with President Hassan Rouhani calling Mr Trump a "tradesman" who lacks the qualifications to deal with a complex international pact. On Sunday Mr Rouhani told Mr Macron in a telephone conversation that the Iran nuclear deal was "not negotiable". Speaking on Fox News on Sunday John Bolton, the US administration's new national security adviser, said Mr Trump had yet to make a decision Mr Bolton said: "He has made no decision on the nuclear deal whether to stay in or get out.There is no decision on that yet." A wider question remains regarding North Korea's response to reimposing sanctions on Iran just as negotiations are underway for an historic meeting between Kim Jong-un and the US leader. But Mr Pompeo said yesterday: “I don't think Kim Jong-un is staring at the Iran deal and saying, ‘Oh goodness, if they get out of that deal, I won't talk to the Americans anymore,’"   “There are higher priorities, things that he is more concerned about than whether or not the Americans stay in the [agreement].”



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Jim Carrey Turns Paintbrush On Rudy Giuliani With Ghoulish New Portrait

Jim Carrey Turns Paintbrush On Rudy Giuliani With Ghoulish New PortraitJim Carrey's artistic output is becoming more political by the day.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines