Tag Archives: submarine

Trial to begin in case of journalist killed in submarine

Trial to begin in case of journalist killed in submarineCOPENHAGEN, Denmark (AP) — As divers found mutilated body parts in plastic bags on the ocean floor one by one, a gruesome puzzle as dark as any Scandinavian noir emerged in Denmark: A young Swedish reporter who had embarked on a submarine journey to interview its maker was tortured, murdered and disposed at sea.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Hitler Built a World War II Submarine That Was Revolutionary. It Ended Up a Total Failure.

Hitler Built a World War II Submarine That Was Revolutionary. It Ended Up a Total Failure.Hitler Built a World War II Submarine That Was Revolutionary. Some were used for target practice. The only surviving vessel of its class today is the Wilhelm Bauer, which the modern Germany navy converted into a research vessel.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

This Russian Submarine Is Called the "Black Hole" For One Terrifying Reason

This Russian Submarine Is Called the "Black Hole" For One Terrifying ReasonTwenty-four Kilo-class submarines were operated by the Soviet Union, of which eleven are still operated by Russia. Iran has three Kilos, and Algeria has two. China had two submarines, purchased after the end of the Cold War.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Divers Find Sunken WWI Submarine, 100 Years After It Disappeared

Divers Find Sunken WWI Submarine, 100 Years After It DisappearedOne of Australia's oldest naval mysteries has been solved.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

First World War submarine lost with 35 British and Allied crew on board is finally found – ending 103-year mystery

First World War submarine lost with 35 British and Allied crew on board is finally found - ending 103-year mysteryThe wreck of the first allied vessel lost in the First World War has been discovered 103 years after it vanished off the coast of Papua New Guinea following a search that has finally ended Australia’s oldest naval mystery. HMAS AE1, Australia’s first submarine, which had 35 British, Australian and New Zealand crew members aboard, disappeared near the Duke of York Islands during a patrol for German warships on September 14, 1914.  The submarine, which had only been in service for seven months, was captained by Lieutenant Commander Thomas Besant, a 30-year-old British officer who had been seconded from the Royal Navy. Despite at least twelve search operations over the decades, no trace of the vessel was found. But the wreck was finally found more than 1,000 feet underwater after an underwater survey captured an image of the vessel during a search involving the government and private backers.  Following the survey, searchers aboard the Furgro Equato dropped an underwater camera to the seabed to confirm that the vessel was AE1. The team of maritime surveyors, marine archaeologists and naval historians scoured the search area with a multi-beam echo sounder and side-scan technology in an underwater drone Credit:  REUTERS "Australia's oldest naval mystery has been solved," said Marise Payne, Australia’s defence minister. “The boat and her crew, who've been on eternal patrol since 1914 … have now been found. I truly trust that this discovery will bring peace of mind to the descendants of the families of the crew who lost their lives.” The cause of the sinking has not been confirmed but it is believed to be related to a technical failure during a practice dive. Peter Briggs, a retired rear admiral who led the search, said the loss was probably  due to a sudden “diving accident”, noting that the fin guardrails were stowed and the upper conning tower hatch appeared to be shut. He told The Australian newspaper that the submarine appeared to suffer a “high energy event” – possibly due to an explosion involving one of its torpedoes or a high pressure air cylinder – which may have occurred after it began to sink but caused it to quickly flood and accelerate towards the seabed. The search led by Find AE1 Limited, and was funded by the Royal Australian Navy and the Silentworld Foundation, with assistance from the Submarine Institute of Australia Credit:  REUTERS “When the end came for the men of AE1 it would have been very fast, they may well have not known what hit them,” said rear admiral Briggs, president of the Submarine Institute of Australia. “The submarine appears to have struck the bottom with sufficient force to dislodge the fin from its footing, forcing it to hinge forward on its leading edge, impacting the casing.” The location of the wreck has been kept secret to prevent salvage attempts. Timeline | Submarine accidents Following the discovery, the crew aboard the search vessel held a memorial for the dead officers and sailors. Australian and Papua New Guinean officials will consider ways to preserve the site and establish a lasting memorial. Rear Admiral Briggs said the discovery “opens the next chapter: learning exactly what happened to it”. “It will be quite a detective puzzle,” he added.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Argentina sacks navy chief over submarine tragedy

Argentina sacks navy chief over submarine tragedyArgentina dismissed its naval chief on Saturday, the most high-profile officer to be fired a month after a submarine went missing with 44 crew members on board. "The defense minister asked him to retire. It's a political decision," a navy officer told AFP on condition of anonymity about the decision to remove Admiral Marcelo Srur during an ongoing investigation into the sub's disappearance. Srur is the fifth senior officer to have been relieved of his functions so far over the ARA San Juan's disappearance. Military sources say President Mauricio Macri is willing to retire most of the naval leadership. The government is also creating an internal investigative commission that will be headed by retired captain Jorge Bergallo, father of the ARA San Juan's second commander, Jorge Ignacio Bergallo, government sources told state news agency Telam. Friends and family of missing submarine crew members place a flag on the fence of the naval base in Mar de Plata, Argentina An international search operation has so far failed to locate the vessel. The 43 men and one woman who were aboard are believed to have died in the tragedy. But families of the missing have pressed the government to continue the search, which has not yet been officially closed. Some relatives claim the navy has been hiding information, and have called for a parliamentary investigation. On Friday, they protested in Mar del Plata, where the submarine was based, and Buenos Aires. Relatives have focused their anger on the condition of the three-decade-old sub, which had undergone a seven-year refit to extend its service, and the navy's guardedness since the start of the search operation. The navy has a poor reputation in Argentina. During the 1976-1983 military dictatorship, some navy units served as detention and torture centers, and an estimated 30,000 people disappeared.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Japan’s Midget Submarine Attack on Pearl Harbor Was a Suicide Mission

Japan’s Midget Submarine Attack on Pearl Harbor Was a Suicide MissionUnfortunately for officials in Tokyo, the Japanese Navy had struck a powerful blow, but not a crippling one. Just as importantly, not a single U.S. aircraft carrier was in Pearl Harbor at the time. Despite the debacle, the Japanese Navy continued sending Kō-hyōteki into combat.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

America's P-8 Poseidon Submarine Killer: The Plane North Korea, Russia and China Hate

America's P-8 Poseidon Submarine Killer: The Plane North Korea, Russia and China HateAs trans-Pacific relations assume new prominence in the twenty-first century, the P-8 will remain one of a number of means by which the United States and other operators assert their presence over international waters. In the event of conflict, they would also serve a vital role hunting down marauding submarines and tracking the movements of surface adversaries. There is a decent chance you have already flown on one of the U.S. Navy’s key new aircraft—or rather, the 737 airliner it is based on.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Last memo from missing Argentine submarine reveals start of a battery fire

Last memo from missing Argentine submarine reveals start of a battery fireThe last communication from the missing Argentine submarine ARA San Juan revealed a leak of sea water had caused a short circuit and “the beginnings of a fire” in the batteries, according to a copy of the message published by Argentine television. “Entry of sea water through the ventilation system into battery tank No. 3 caused a short circuit and the beginnings of a fire in the battery room. Bow batteries out of service. At the moment in immersion propelling with split circuit. No updates on personnel, will keep informed,” the document obtained by the channel A24 said. The message was purportedly sent by the commander of the ARA San Juan by radio and received as a transcription. A24 did not say how it had obtained the document, on which the Argentine Navy has not commented. The communication appears to contradict some of the information released by the Navy. It was sent at 8.52am on the morning of the sub’s disappearance on Wednesday, November 15, while the authorities have said the vessel’s last message was received at 7.30am.  Search and rescue mission for Argentinian submarine It also goes into greater detail regarding the faults allegedly suffered by the ARA San Juan. The Navy waited five days to confirm rumours the submarine had suffered a battery fault, and then insisted it was unrelated to the disappearance.  On Monday, before the leaked document was broadcast, Captain Enrique Balbi, the Navy spokesperson, told a press briefing that the sub had reported “the entry of water through the snorkel, a short circuit and the beginnings of a fire, which for us is smoke without flames. It was corrected, they isolated the battery and navigated with another circuit, it was being propelled with the circuit of the stern”. Timeline | Submarine accidents Almost two weeks after it disappeared, the only trace of the sub and its 44 crew members has been the reports of an apparent explosion close to its last known location at approximately 11am that morning.  The message is also likely to raise further questions over the Navy’s decision to wait two days to begin a physical search for the ARA San Juan. While the force has insisted this was in accordance with protocol for a submarine that had lost communication, the existence of such faults has generated doubts over that decision.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Hope fades after 9 days of searching for Argentine submarine

Hope fades after 9 days of searching for Argentine submarineBy Hugh Bronstein and Luc Cohen BUENOS AIRES (Reuters) – Families of the 44 crew members of a missing Argentine submarine gave up hope and went home on Friday after days of waiting at the sub’s Mar del Plata naval base, saddened and angered by evidence that the vessel may have exploded. The submarine went missing nine days ago with only a one-week supply of oxygen onboard. President Mauricio Macri said the search would continue and that he expected the submarine to be located in the days ahead.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines