Tag Archives: shooter

White House aide says 'absurd' to link mosque shooter, Trump

White House aide says 'absurd' to link mosque shooter, TrumpWASHINGTON (AP) — A top White House official said Sunday that President Donald Trump "is not a white supremacist" and attempts to tie him to the alleged New Zealand mosque shooter are "absurd."



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

White House dismisses praise of Trump by New Zealand shooter

White House dismisses praise of Trump by New Zealand shooter"The president is not a white supremacist. I'm not sure how many times we have to say that," White House acting chief of staff Mick Mulvaney said.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

New Zealand mosque shooter 'acted alone'; sent manifesto to Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern

New Zealand mosque shooter 'acted alone'; sent manifesto to Prime Minister Jacinda ArdernPolice in New Zealand said on Sunday that the right-wing terrorist behind a massacre at two mosques in Christchurch was acting alone, as it emerged the killer's manifesto had been sent to the country's prime minister minutes before the tragedy unfolded. Australian Brenton Tarrant, 28, sent a racist, rambling manifesto to prime minister Jacinda Ardern in which he denied being linked to any organisations and said he was acting on his own. The document, which praised President Donald Trump and Norwegian mass killer Anders Breivik, was emailed to Ms Ardern's office just 9 minutes before the attack began. However, a senior White House official said it was unfair to cast the shooter as a supporter of President Trump based on one reference to him in the manifesto.  Acting chief of staff Mick Mulvaney told "Fox News Sunday" that the shooter was a "disturbed individual" and an "evil person." Mr Mulvaney said attempts to tie the shooter to any American politician "probably ignores some of the deeper difficulties that this sort of activity exposes." It came as a man whose wife was killed in the attack as she rushed back into a mosque to rescue him said he harbours no hatred toward the gunman, insisting forgiveness is the best path forward. "I would say to him 'I love him as a person'," said Farid Ahmad, whose wife Husna Ahmad, 44, was killed at the Al Noor mosque – the first of two targeted by the gunman. "I could not accept what he did. What he did was a wrong thing," he added. A man reacts following the attacks on Friday. Asked if he forgave the 28-year-old white supremacist suspect, he said: "Of course. The best thing is forgiveness, generosity, loving and caring, positivity." Tarrant has also broadcast the massacre live on social media, using a head-mounted camera, which sparked an outcry across the world as platforms such as Facebook were slow to take down the grisly footage. Facebook, YouTube and Twitter had scrambled to take down duplicates of the video at the request of the New Zealand police. The footage showed worshippers being sprayed with bullets, with some trying to crawl away, as Tarrant moved through Al Noor Mosque. A spokesman for Facebook said it had blocked or removed 1.5m copies of the video after the original was streamed online. Traditional media outlets were also criticised for broadcasting lengthy segments of the 16-minute video clip. Sky New Zealand removed Rupert Murdoch-owned Sky News Australia from broadcasts after the channel repeatedly screened extracts of the footage. “We made the decision on Friday with Sky News Australia to replace their live news with sport,” Sky New Zealand tweeted on Friday evening. The call was made “to ensure coverage doesn’t compromise ongoing investigations in NZ”. On Sunday, Ms Ardern said the bodies of those who died were beginning to be returned to their families as of that evening. She said it was expected all would be returned by Wednesday. Two days after the massacre, Dunedin woman Jackie Lawton, 34, said she was "still just overwhelmed and so sad” thinking about the lives lost. She went to a vigil with hundreds of others, held outside Dunedin’s Al Huda Mosque on Sunday afternoon. The last time Ms Lawton attended a vigil was in December, to honour slain British backpacker Grace Millane. “When Grace Millane was murdered the whole country mourned, deeply, for weeks. We felt like we knew her, even though she’d been here for such a short time,” she said. “This is 50 people though – each one as loved and needed as Grace. This is Grace times 50 and I don’t know if we can even process that.” Flowers, candles, and messages of solidarity had been placed in front of the mosque and a group sang hymns before performing a haka. Vigils have been held the length of the country over the weekend. Christchurch local James Tawhiti, 41, had driven down to Dunedin on Saturday “because it was too tense and sad and awful." “We’ve all already been through the earthquakes, that screwed a lot of people up,” he said. “But this is somehow worse because it’s a man-made tragedy. Natural disasters aren’t evil like this and it just feels like we’ve lost something, maybe our innocence.” Three students from Cashmere High School were at the Al Noor Mosque for Friday prayers when the attacker burst in. Two of the students are presumed dead and the third is in the hospital with gunshot wounds. The father of Sayyad Milne, 14, told the New Zealand Herald that his son was last seen lying on the bloody floor of the mosque bleeding from his lower body. "I've lost my little boy. He's just turned 14," he told the newspaper. "I remember him as my baby who I nearly lost when he was born. Such a struggle he's had throughout all his life. He's been unfairly treated but he's risen above that and he's very brave. A brave little soldier. It's so hard … to see him just gunned down by someone who didn't care about anyone or anything," Milne said. "I know where he is. I know he's at peace." Current students weren't the only ones caught in Friday's mass shootings, the deadliest terrorist attacks in the country's modern history. A former Cashmere High School student is also believed to have been killed, as was the father of another student. Outside the school on Sunday, students came in a trickle to lean bouquets of flowers up against a construction barricade, evidence of the ongoing rebuilding from Christchurch's 2011 earthquake. Principal Mark Wilson said counselors and trauma specialists will be on hand when classes resume at the diverse school of more than 2,000. "I'm very confident in our staff; I'm very confident in our school community. It's made up of awesome people," Wilson said. "It's still going to be hard. There's going to be a lot of grief. There's going to be a lot of sadness. I think we've also got to be very patient with each other." Wilson declined to talk about the boys believed to have been killed, but confirmed three students were at the mosque on Friday and said one remained hospitalized with gunshot wounds to the leg. The principal noted that schools can often be a safe place for children coping with trauma. He is also encouraging students to take up their own acts of love to counteract the tragedy.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Christchurch Mosque Shooter Who Killed 50 Likely Acted Alone

Christchurch Mosque Shooter Who Killed 50 Likely Acted AloneThe death toll from Friday’s massacre in the South Island city of Christchurch has risen to 50 after another victim was located at one of the crime scenes, police said on Sunday. One person has been charged with murder while three other people apprehended with firearms are not believed to be involved, they said. “At this point, only one person has been charged in relation to these attacks,” Commissioner Mike Bush told reporters.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Armed Man Chased, Fired On New Zealand Mosque Shooter

Armed Man Chased, Fired On New Zealand Mosque ShooterOne armed congregant pursued the gunmen who opened fire during Friday prayer at his mosque in the New Zealand city of Christchurch, firing two shots at them as they sped away, the New Zealand Herald reported.The unnamed man went home to retrieve his gun when the shooting broke out before returning to the Linwood mosque to engage the shooter. He reportedly told the police he was acting in "self defense."At least 49 people were killed and 48 injured during shootings at two mosques in the New Zealand city of Christchurch. The Linwood mosque shooting claimed seven lives while a second shooting, at the Al Noor mosque, resulted in 41 dead.Police also found improvised explosive devices attached to two vehicles outside of one of the mosques.Four people have been arrested in connection with the attacks but just one man, 28-year-old Brandon Tarrant, has been charged with murder. Tarrant live-streamed part of his attack on the Al Noor mosque, creating a sickening 17-minute video that has been widely distributed on social media. Prior to the attack, Tarrant also published a 87-page manifesto on Twitter that is rife with white nationalist propaganda.It remains unclear whether the other three people, one of whom police have said is likely uninvolved in the attack, will be charged.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Police: Shooter targeted 3 victims in gated LA community

Police: Shooter targeted 3 victims in gated LA communityLOS ANGELES (AP) — One of three men who were shot to death at a home in a gated Los Angeles community likely allowed the shooter inside, authorities said Tuesday.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Florida bank shooter killed five women in apparent random attack

Florida bank shooter killed five women in apparent random attackThe attack took place around lunchtime on Wednesday at a SunTrust Bank branch in Sebring, a town of about 10,000 people 95 miles (153 km) south of Orlando, authorities said. The suspect, Zephen Xaver, called the 911 emergency number just after 12:30 p.m. EST (1730 GMT) and told dispatch he had shot five people inside the bank, according to authorities. Hoglund said all the victims were women, and named two of them as Cynthia Watson, a bank customer, and Marisol Lopez, a bank employee.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Shooter Charged with Manslaughter After Fatally Shooting Woman He Allegedly Thought Was Deer

Shooter Charged with Manslaughter After Fatally Shooting Woman He Allegedly Thought Was DeerA 61-year-old man has been charged with manslaughter after shooting and killing a woman he mistook for a deer last year.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

The Latest: Man killed in Strasbourg was market shooter

The Latest: Man killed in Strasbourg was market shooterSTRASBOURG, France (AP) — The Latest on the attack on a Christmas market in Strasbourg, France (all times local):



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Sandy Hook school shooter had 'scorn for humanity,' according to newly released documents

Sandy Hook school shooter had 'scorn for humanity,' according to newly released documentsNewly released documents provide details about the scornful world view held by Adam Lanza, the Sandy Hook school shooter.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines