Tag Archives: sends

Cohen lawyer sends letter to Congress clarifying pardon talk

Cohen lawyer sends letter to Congress clarifying pardon talkNEW YORK (AP) — Amid talk that former Trump lawyer Michael Cohen again lied to Congress, Cohen's lawyer sent a letter Tuesday to the head of the House Oversight Committee clarifying Cohen's testimony that he never sought a pardon from the president.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Brexit deal legal advice sends pound tumbling

Brexit deal legal advice sends pound tumblingThe pound tumbled Tuesday after the UK government’s top legal advisor cast doubt on Prime Minister Theresa May’s last-gasp changes to her Brexit deal, hours before a vital vote. Sterling, which had been rising after May secured revisions to the Brexit withdrawal agreement, hit reverse after legal advice from Attorney General Geoffrey Cox. Cox said last-minute new agreements “reduce the risk” of Britain being “indefinitely and involuntarily” held in the so-called Irish border backstop.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Kansas rancher sends letter to Ocasio-Cortez fact-checking the Green New Deal

Kansas rancher sends letter to Ocasio-Cortez fact-checking the Green New DealKansas rancher Brandi Buzzard Frobose on writing an open letter to Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

U.S. sends first families to Mexico to await asylum, rights groups sue

U.S. sends first families to Mexico to await asylum, rights groups sueFive families with a total of 16 people, including children from El Salvador, Honduras and Guatemala, arrived in the Mexican border city of Tijuana on Wednesday, according to a person who works in migration for the Mexican government, who asked not to be named. In late January, the United States began sending non-Mexican migrants who had crossed at the U.S. border with Mexico back to Mexico to wait as their asylum requests are processed, a program called Migrant Protection Protocols. Rights groups say the program endangers asylum seekers by forcing them to remain in regions of Mexico experiencing record levels of violence.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

U.S. sends first families to Mexico to await asylum, rights groups sue

U.S. sends first families to Mexico to await asylum, rights groups sueFive families with a total of 16 people, including children from El Salvador, Honduras and Guatemala, arrived in the Mexican border city of Tijuana on Wednesday, according to a person who works in migration for the Mexican government, who asked not to be named. In late January, the United States began sending non-Mexican migrants who had crossed at the U.S. border with Mexico back to Mexico to wait as their asylum requests are processed, a program called Migrant Protection Protocols. Rights groups say the program endangers asylum seekers by forcing them to remain in regions of Mexico experiencing record levels of violence.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Pentagon Sends Troops to Texas Border as Trump Again Raises Fears About Caravans

Pentagon Sends Troops to Texas Border as Trump Again Raises Fears About CaravansThe Defense Department said Wednesday it sent about 250 troops to the southern border in Texas ahead of the arrival of a migrant caravan.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

U.S. sends aid to Colombia-Venezuela border; Maduro rejects help

U.S. sends aid to Colombia-Venezuela border; Maduro rejects helpTwo officials who spoke on condition of anonymity said the aid will be staged at the main Colombian-Venezuelan border crossing at Cucuta. “I anticipate having perhaps a dozen locations all around Venezuela where such aid will be staged,” the official said. The U.S. officials said trucks carrying the aid, including high-protein foods, would arrive in Cucuta this week at the request of Venezuelan opposition leader Juan Guaido, who last month declared himself to be the South American nation’s interim president.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Prince Philip sends personal apology to victims of Sandringham car crash

Prince Philip sends personal apology to victims of Sandringham car crashThe Duke of Edinburgh has personally written to the two women injured in the car crash he was involved in on the Sandringham estate to say he is “deeply sorry.” The 97-year-old wrote to Ellie Townsend, the driver of the Kia Carens that collided with his Land Rover as he pulled out of a sideroad, and her passenger, Emma Fairweather. It follows mounting criticism of the way both Buckingham Palace and the police handled the fallout from the crash. The Duke was pictured back at the wheel without a seatbelt just two days later, which was deemed “insensitive and inconsiderate” to the victims. In his letter to Ms Fairweather, the Duke admitted he had "failed to see the car coming" and blamed the bright winter sun that was low in the sky. He wished her a “speedy recovery from a very distressing experience” and said he felt “very contrite about the consequences.” He admitted he was left “somewhat shaken” after the accident, which resulted in him having to be pulled through the sunroof of his vehicle after it flipped onto its side, and explained that he had been advised to return to Sandringham House by a police officer shortly after the collision. The letter sent to Emma Fairweather from the DUke of Edinburgh Credit: Steve Bainbridge The Duke is understood to have given a written statement to police investigating the January 17 incident and officers are considering whether there is enough evidence to charge him with careless driving. In his later, dated January 21, he wrote: “I would like you to know how very sorry I am for my part in the accident at the Babingley cross-roads. "I have been across that crossing any number of times and I know very well the amount of traffic that uses that main road. "It was a bright sunny day and at about three in the afternoon, the sun was low over the Wash. "In other words, the sun was shining low over the main road. In normal conditions I would have no difficulty in seeing traffic coming from the Dersingham direction, but I can only imagine that I failed to see the car coming.” The note, thought to have been hand delivered and seen by the Sunday Mirror, was signed “Yours sincerely, Philip.” He also sent similarly "personal letters" to the passersby who helped pull him to safety from the wreckage. Emma Fairweather, who was injured in a car crash involving the Duke of Edinburgh Credit: PA Ms Fairweather, 46, who broke her wrist in the January 17 accident, had previously criticised the Duke for driving his replacement Land Rover on public roads so soon after the accident and complained that she had received no personal communication from him. But she said she was “chuffed” with the letter and described it as the act of “human kindness” that she had wanted. Ms Townsend. the 28-year-old driver of the car, is understood to have been left shaken by the experience after fearing for her nine-month-old baby son who was in the back seat. Prince Philip car crash scene near Sandringham Photo  Buckingham Palace said Philip was "fully complying with the police investigation". Norfolk police said: "The collision investigation is ongoing and we will not comment any further at this time." If found to be at fault, the Duke is likely be offered a driver awareness course, with a lesson to improve their motoring skills considered more in the public interest than a court case.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Kerry, at Davos, sends Trump a one-word message: Resign

Kerry, at Davos, sends Trump a one-word message: ResignThe former secretary of state goes after the president in a panel discussion at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

US sends troops for possible 'violent' Congo vote protests

US sends troops for possible 'violent' Congo vote protestsKINSHASA, Congo (AP) — On the eve of the first expected results of Congo's long-delayed presidential election, President Donald Trump said military personnel had deployed to Central Africa to protect U.S. assets from possible "violent demonstrations," while the country's powerful Catholic church warned of a popular "uprising" if untrue results are announced.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines