Tag Archives: Philippines

Dozens buried in Philippines landslide triggered by Typhoon Mangkhut

Dozens buried in Philippines landslide triggered by Typhoon MangkhutHundreds of rescuers in the Philippines dug frantically with shovels and their bare hands on Monday in an attempt to save the lives of dozens of people buried by a landslide triggered at the weekend by Typhoon Mangkhut, the world’s strongest storm of the year.  But despite their best efforts, weary aid workers were only able to pull dead bodies from the mud and debris that had engulfed a church and miners’ bunkhouse where people had been sheltering from the fierce rain and winds topping 150 miles per hour in the early hours of Saturday morning. Grief-stricken relatives, many of them quietly praying, waited anxiously near the disaster site.  Victorio Palangdan, Itogon’s mayor, warned that the chances of finding any survivors were slim, raising the prospect that the previously confirmed Philippine death toll of 65 from the typhoon could significantly rise.  Mr Palangdan told a news conference that of the 40 to 50 people thought buried, there’s a “99 per cent (chance) that they are really dead.” Itogon, #Philippines. With no chance of getting heavy equipment into the valley, rescue workers are using shovels and their hands to move rock and debris from the landslides. But there is so much of it. One official figures it will take a week. @NBCNewspic.twitter.com/4tX1LjXNKx— Janis Mackey Frayer (@janisfrayer) September 17, 2018 He revealed that dozens of residents had refused to heed police warnings to leave the area. “They laughed at our policemen. They insisted,” he said, according to the AP. “They were resisting when our police tried to pull them away. What can we do?”  Most of the buried are believed to be poor miners and their families, who were working illegally at the mine site.  Foreign aid has begun to pour into the Philippines, which will face months of recovery after farms across the island of Luzon, which produces much of the nation's rice and corn, were submerged in muddy floodwater just a month before harvest. Francis Tolentino, a senior adviser to President Rodrigo Duterte, estimated that nationwide 5.7 million people had been affected by the storm. Many high rise buildings in Hong Kong had their windows blown out  Credit: Anthony Wallace/AFP Hong Kong on Monday also began to clear up  “severe and extensive” damage from Mangkhut after it struck the high-rise city on Sunday, leaving 300 injured. Roads remained blocked by felled trees and debris and some areas remained severely flooded. Windows in swaying tower blocks had been smashed by gusts of more than 142mph.  After tearing through Luzon and pummelling Hong Kong and Macau, the storm hit China’s Guangdong province, killing four people, three of whom were struck by trees. More than 3 million people were evacuated.  But by Monday afternoon, the terrifying storm had been downgraded to a tropical depression at it moved into Guangxi province on a path to the mountainous Yunnan province, where it was expected to weaken further as it approached Vietnam, Laos and Burma. No further deaths or damage were reported.   



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte Calls Hitler 'Insane' During Visit to Israel's Holocaust Memorial

Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte Calls Hitler 'Insane' During Visit to Israel's Holocaust MemorialDuterte has previously favorably compared himself to the Führer



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Philippines President Duterte Cracks Ugly 'Joke' About Rape And 'Pretty Women'

Philippines President Duterte Cracks Ugly 'Joke' About Rape And 'Pretty Women'Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte has made yet another flippant remark



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Xiamen Air jet overshoots runway in the Philippines

Xiamen Air jet overshoots runway in the PhilippinesA Xiamen Air aircraft with 165 people on board veered off an airport runway in the Philippines capital of Manila, but there were no casualties. No reporter narration.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

US will be 'good ally' to Philippines in disputed sea: official

US will be 'good ally' to Philippines in disputed sea: officialThe United States will be “a good ally” to the Philippines in responding to territorial conflicts in the South China Sea, a US defence official said Thursday. Randall Schriver, assistant secretary of defense for Asian and Pacific security affairs, gave the assurance as tensions rise over China’s aggressive stance towards its claims to most of the strategic waterway. Speaking to reporters at the US embassy in Manila, Schriver was asked if the United States, which is bound to the Philippines by a mutual defence treaty, would help the country if China invaded the main Filipino-occupied island in the South China Sea.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

US Navy searching for overboard marine off Philippines

US Navy searching for overboard marine off PhilippinesThe US military said it had launched a search and rescue operation after reports a marine may have fallen overboard from an American warship as it sailed through Philippine waters. The US 13th Marine Expeditionary Unit said a member, who was not named, may have gone overboard Thursday morning. Aircraft on board the USS Essex are searching waters off the Sulu Sea and the Surigao Strait while multiple searches are also being made inside the ship itself, the unit said.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Philippines President Duterte Orders Luxury Vehicles Worth $5.5 Million Crushed

Philippines President Duterte Orders Luxury Vehicles Worth $  5.5 Million CrushedPhilippines President Rodrigo Duterte oversaw the destruction of 68 smuggled



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Duterte’s Destruction Rages: 68 More Cars Crushed In Philippines

Duterte’s Destruction Rages: 68 More Cars Crushed In PhilippinesBulldozers destroyed more than $ 5.89 million worth of cars.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Philippines makes ban on workers going to Kuwait permanent

Philippines makes ban on workers going to Kuwait permanentMANILA, Philippines (AP) — Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte said Sunday that a ban on Filipino workers from heading to Kuwait that's been in effect since February would now be permanent, inflaming a dispute sparked by complaints of the abuse of Filipina housemaids and workers in the Persian Gulf country.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Philippines demands explanation as Kuwait expels envoy

Philippines demands explanation as Kuwait expels envoyManila demanded an explanation Thursday after its ambassador to Kuwait was expelled, shocking Philippine authorities and deepening a diplomatic row over the treatment of domestic workers in the Gulf state. The two nations had been working to resolve differences sparked by the murder of a Philippine maid, whose body was found stuffed in her employer’s freezer in Kuwait earlier this year. Philippine Foreign Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano apologised, but Kuwaiti officials announced Wednesday they were expelling ambassador Renato Villa and recalling their own envoy from Manila.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines