Tag Archives: permanently

Missouri Teen Returns from Cruise with Mystery Illness That`s Left Her Permanently Blind

Missouri Teen Returns from Cruise with Mystery Illness That`s Left Her Permanently BlindA Missouri teen is fighting a life-changing medical condition after returning from a cruise.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Kmart employee gives emotional announcement before the store closed permanently

Kmart employee gives emotional announcement before the store closed permanentlyThe once-beloved American retailer Sears Holdings filed for bankruptcy earlier



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

North Korea Agrees to Permanently Dismantle Nuclear Complex If U.S. Takes Corresponding Steps

North Korea Agrees to Permanently Dismantle Nuclear Complex If U.S. Takes Corresponding StepsNorth Korean leader Kim Jong Un agreed to permanently dismantle his main nuclear complex at Nyongbyon if the United States takes corresponding measures, South Korean President Moon Jae-in said Wednesday



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Trump's star on the Walk of Fame to be permanently removed after West Hollywood council vote

Trump's star on the Walk of Fame to be permanently removed after West Hollywood council voteWest Hollywood councillors have voted “unanimously” to remove Donald Trump’s star from the city’s Walk of Fame. At a meeting on Monday evening, West Hollywood City Council opted to recommend to the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce that the star should be removed. “West Hollywood City council unanimously passes resolution asking the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce to remove the Donald Trump star on Hollywood Walk of Fame,” said West Hollywood mayor John Duran on Twitter, announcing the decision.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

'They're Permanently Separated.' President Trump Compares People Killed by Undocumented Immigrants to Border Separations

'They're Permanently Separated.' President Trump Compares People Killed by Undocumented Immigrants to Border SeparationsPresident Donald Trump explicitly compared the tragedy of families whose relatives have been killed by undocumented immigrants to the family separations at the border.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Duterte permanently bans Filipinos going to work in Kuwait after maid found stuffed in freezer

Duterte permanently bans Filipinos going to work in Kuwait after maid found stuffed in freezerPhilippine President Rodrigo Duterte on Sunday said the temporary ban on Filipinos going to work in Kuwait is now permanent, intensifying a diplomatic standoff over the treatment of migrant workers in the Gulf nation. Mr Duterte in February imposed a prohibition on workers heading to Kuwait following the murder of a Filipina maid whose body was found stuffed in a freezer in the Gulf state. The crisis deepened after Kuwaiti authorities last week ordered Manila's envoy to leave the country over videos of Philippine embassy staff helping workers in Kuwait flee allegedly abusive employers. The two nations had been negotiating a labour deal that Philippine officials said could result in the lifting of the ban but the recent escalation in tensions has put an agreement in doubt. "The ban stays permanently. There will be no more recruitment for especially domestic helpers. No more," Mr Duterte told reporters in the southern city of Davao. There was no immediate response from Kuwait, where around 262,000 Filipinos are employed – nearly 60 percent of them as domestic workers, according to the Philippines' foreign department. Last week the Philippines apologised over the rescue videos but Kuwaiti officials announced they were expelling Manila's ambassador and recalling their own envoy from the Southeast Asian nation. In quotes | Rodrigo Duterte, President of the Philippines Kuwait also detained four Filipinos hired by the Philippine embassy and issued arrest warrants against three diplomatic personnel, Manila said. Mr Duterte on Sunday described the treatment of workers in Kuwait as a "calamity". He said he would bring home Filipina maids who suffered abuse as he appealed to workers who wanted to stay in the oil-rich state. "I would like to address to their patriotism: come home. No matter how poor we are, we will survive. The economy is doing good and we are short of our workers," he said. About 10 million Filipinos work abroad, seeking high-paying jobs they are unable to find at home, and their remittances are a major pillar of the Philippine economy. The Philippine government has for decades hailed overseas workers as modern heroes but advocacy groups have highlighted the social cost of migration, tearing families apart and making Filipinos vulnerable to abuse. Mr Duterte lashed out at Kuwait in February, alleging Arab employers routinely rape Filipina workers, force them to work 21 hours a day and feed them scraps. However after the latest row, Mr Duterte used a conciliatory tone as he addressed the "diplomatic ruckus" on Saturday. "Apparently it seems as if they have anger against Filipinos … I do not want to send (workers) because apparently you do not like Filipinos," he said in a speech before Filipinos in Singapore. "Just do not hurt them. I plead that they'd be given a treatment deserving of a human being," he said in the same event.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Quarter Of World's Land Will Be Permanently Drier If Paris Climate Goals Not Met: Study

Quarter Of World's Land Will Be Permanently Drier If Paris Climate Goals Not Met: StudyIf the Earth’s temperature rises by 2 degrees Celsius in the next 30-some years, more than 25 percent of the earth will dry up, according to a new climate study.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Judge permanently blocks Trump sanctuary cities order

Judge permanently blocks Trump sanctuary cities orderA federal judge on Monday permanently blocked President Donald Trump's executive order to cut funding from cities that limit cooperation with U.S. immigration authorities.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

‘I’m Permanently Damaged.’ Woman Sues After She Says Doctors Unnecessarily Removed Her Breasts and Uterus

[brightcove:5522487361001 default]

This article originally appeared on Time.com.

Last year, Elisha Cooke-Moore made the hardest decision of her life: After doctors said genetic tests revealed that she was at risk for aggressive breast and ovarian cancers, she says she followed their recommendation and underwent surgery to remove both her breasts and her uterus.

Based on the genetic tests, the Gold Beach, Ore. resident says she had been told she had MLH1 and BRCA1 gene mutations, as well as Lynch syndrome, which together gave her a 50% chance of developing breast cancer and an up to 80% chance of developing uterine cancer. Based on those results, she went through with a double mastectomy and a hysterectomy.

After the surgeries, however, she was unhappy with the results of her mastectomy and reached out to a lawyer, who suggested that she see another doctor about breast reconstruction. After examining her case file, the new doctor informed Cooke-Moore that her genetic test results were actually negative, says Christopher Cauble, Cooke-Moore’s lawyer. She called the lab to confirm, and felt her world crash down when she learned that the doctor was right: The operations that had pushed her into early menopause, forced multiple follow-up surgeries, and left her with post-traumatic stress disorder were likely unnecessary.

“I’m permanently damaged,” she told TIME this week. “No amount of money will ever fix what they’ve done to me. Never.”

Last week, the 36-year-old filed a $ 1.8 million lawsuit in Curry County Circuit Court. The suit names Curry Medical Practice and Curry Medical Center, where the procedures were performed, as well as several health professionals who work there and were involved in Cooke-Moore’s treatment, including her October 2016 double mastectomy.

Curry Medical Network did not immediately respond to requests for comment on behalf of itself and its employees.

Cooke-Moore underwent genetic testing because both her mother and grandmother had cancer. Despite test results that she says clearly show no clinically significant mutations, doctors told her she carried an MLH1 gene mutation and had Lynch syndrome, both of which increase the odds of developing colorectal, uterine and ovarian cancers. (Lynch syndrome does not have a clear bearing on breast cancer, but the lawsuit alleges that members of Cooke-Moore’s care team told her it could raise her risk.) Cooke-Moore says she was also told she had mutations in the BRCA1 gene, which are linked to a higher-than-average risk of breast and ovarian cancer, though the lawsuit claims she did not.

Cauble says it’s still unclear how and why doctors misread the results. His guess, he says, is that doctors misinterpreted a line in the results, which said that there were “variants of uncertain significance” associated with the MLH1 gene. (Variants of uncertain significance is an often-used term in genetic testing that means it is not clear if the variations are or are not associated with cancer.) “The explanation to me is that everyone has some kind of gene mutation, but these gene mutations do not constitute a positive test,” he wrote in an email to TIME.

This kind of genetic testing has become far more common in recent years, though it’s still only recommended for people, like Cooke-Moore, with a strong family history of heritable cancer. Not all doctors recommend it, however, because it does come with the risk of false positives, which may cause people undue emotional stress or unnecessary procedures. Then there’s the risk of the results being misinterpreted altogether, as Cook-Moore says happened in her case.

Cooke-Moore says the pain — both physical and emotional — has been some of the worst of her life, and she wants those responsible to be held accountable. “I will not stand down,” she says.


www.health.com/syndication/breast-cancer-uterus-surgery “>
Breast Cancer – Health.com

Eclipse 2017: Man who permanently damaged his eyes during a solar event warns people not to stare at sun

Eclipse 2017: Man who permanently damaged his eyes during a solar event warns people not to stare at sunA man who permanently damaged his eyesight by looking at a partial solar eclipse 55 years ago has warned people not to look directly at the sun during the total eclipse on Monday. Lou Tomosoki, 70, still has a blind spot in the centre of the vision of his right eye as a result of looking at the sun for just a few seconds as the moon crossed its surface in the early 1960s. In 1962, he and a friend were walking home from high school in Bend, Oregon, when the partial eclipse began.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines