Tag Archives: Nine

Death toll in Europe from storm hits nine

Death toll in Europe from storm hits nineThe death toll from storms that have battered Spain, Portugal and France rose to nine on Sunday as the region braced for more violent winds and heavy rain. Storms Elsa and Fabien have flooded rivers, brought down power lines, uprooted trees and disrupted rail and air travel across the region, leaving more than 118,000 households without electricity. Two people have so far died in Portugal and seven have now been killed in Spain, the worst affected country, after a fisherman was swept off rocks into the sea in Catalonia.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Mexican Mormons accuse local government of 'complicity' in massacre of nine relatives

Mexican Mormons accuse local government of 'complicity' in massacre of nine relativesA member of the Mormon family murdered in Mexico has accused the local authorities of complicity in the killings, mocking their claims that they took 10 hours to arrive on the scene because they didn’t have enough petrol. Julian LeBaron, who has urged Mexico’s president to accept US offers for help in investigating Monday’s massacre, said he had no faith in the local authorities. “The governments of Sonora and Chihuahua states are complicit in this murder,” he said. “I do not believe that the authorities will be able to secure justice. They are corrupted down to their bone marrow. They told us they couldn’t get to us because they didn’t have enough petrol – it’s that level of stupidity.” Mexico has for decades wrestled with corruption. Wealthy drug cartels will bribe poorly-paid local officials to turn a blind eye to their activities, enabling the cartels to traffic drugs and murder with impunity. A mourner at the funeral of Dawna Langford on Thursday Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador, Mexico’s president, has sent a team to investigate, but few are confident of any arrests. Adrian LeBaron, whose daughter Rhonita, 31, and four of her children died in the massacre, further said he did not believe the government’s suggestion that the Mormon cars were mistaken for the vehicles of cartel members. Three adult women and six children died in the hail of 200 bullets. Seven other youngsters – the oldest aged 14, the youngest a seven-month-old baby – survived, and Mr LeBaron said the children had told him they could not have been mistaken as drug cartel members. One of the women came out of her car with her hands raised, Mr LeBaron said he had been told. Mexican police protecting the Mormon community in the Sonora-Chihuahua borderlands He also told CNN’s Spanish affiliate that the family had been threatened recently by the organised crime groups operating in the area. “We are from one of the most productive families in the area,” he said, speculating that the cartels wanted to “send a message”. “This was not an accident. This was not an error,” he said. Mr LeBaron said he had received menacing telephone calls warning them not to be “nosy” in cartel affairs. “A few months ago there was an incident where some petrol was stolen. They get upset when you buy your own petrol, because they think it’s their own domain, and they made some threats. “We got some calls, warning us not to be gossips, saying that they wouldn’t bother us. And then they gunned down three families.”



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

China jails nine for selling fentanyl into US

China jails nine for selling fentanyl into USChina on Thursday jailed nine people for selling fentanyl to Americans, the result of a landmark joint probe, and pledged further co-operation following President Donald Trump’s fury at Beijing’s perceived inaction against Chinese suppliers fuelling the deadly US opioid crisis. Despite Trump’s criticism earlier this year that Beijing had reneged on its promise to crack down on the production of the drug, China said it was “willing to conduct sincere and concrete anti-drug cooperation” with the US to tackle fentanyl trafficking. The court in northern Hebei province described the case as the first successful joint US-Chinese probe related to fentanyl smuggling, and US officials also hailed the verdict.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Suspected drug cartel gunmen kill nine members of a family in ambush in Mexico

Suspected drug cartel gunmen kill nine members of a family in ambush in MexicoNine members of a family with dual citizenship in the U.S. and Mexico were killed in an attack by suspected drug cartel gunmen in northern Mexico.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

At least nine American Mormon community members killed in Mexico

At least nine American Mormon community members killed in MexicoAt least three women and six children from an American Mormon community in northern Mexico have been killed in an ambush in an area notorious for drug traffickers and bandits, a relative said. The government deployed the army to fight drug trafficking in 2006, but experts blame the so-called "drug war" for the spiraling violence between fragmented cartels and the military, which has lead to more than 250,000 murders. Julian Lebaron said his cousin was traveling with her four children to the airport when she was attacked and shot in Rancho de la Mora, an area near the US border.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

At least nine migrants dead after boat capsizes off Italian island of Lampedusa

At least nine migrants dead after boat capsizes off Italian island of LampedusaAt least nine people died when a boat carrying dozens of migrants sank off the coast of the island of Lampedusa, south of Sicily, Italy's coastguard said on Monday. The coastguard said rescue vessels had picked up 22 people, and search operations for other survivors were underway after an alert was received late on Sunday night that a boat carrying some 50 people was in difficulty. The UN migration agency said the boat had set sail from Tunisia and had been carrying Tunisian and west African migrants. Vessels from the coastguard and customs police had reached the vessel, which overturned in rough seas about six nautical miles from the coast of Lampedusa, the coastguard said in a statement. Nine bodies had been recovered, it added. "This highlights once again that urgent action is needed to address the situation in the Mediterranean," said Charlie Yaxley, a spokesperson for the United Nations' refugee agency, the UNHCR. "More than 1,000 people have died on the Mediterranean this year alone, most on the route from Libya to Europe," he said. The Italian interior ministry says some 7,939 migrants have reached Italy by boat so far this year, down 63% on the same period in 2018 and 93% on 2017 levels.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Santa Cruz boat fire: 25 confirmed dead and nine unaccounted for after blaze broke out

Santa Cruz boat fire: 25 confirmed dead and nine unaccounted for after blaze broke outTwenty-five people have been confirmed dead and nine are unaccounted for after a scuba diving boat caught fire in the middle of the night and sunk off the coast of California. Five crew members who were already awake when the blaze begun around 3am were able to escape but the other passengers were trapped in the sleeping quarters below deck.  Firemen in helicopters, small boats and a US Coast Guard cutter spent hours tackling the blaze and searching for survivors after being alerted in a mayday call. However the blaze was so intense that it kept relighting after appearing to have been extinguished, perhaps due to the fuel on board.  Search and rescue teams were scouring the surrounding waters yesterday but hope was fading of finding survivors. A spokesman for the county said there had been "numerous fatalities". Images of the dive boat "Conception" – Five people were rescued and 34 more are missing after a fire broke out on a boat early Monday morning near Santa Cruz Island Credit: Universal News And Sport (Europe)  The commercial diving vessel, called the Conception, was 75-foot (23-meters) long. It had been anchored in Platt's Harbor, about 20 yards (18 meters) off the northern coast of Santa Cruz Island. It had been on a three-day cruise to the Channel Islands during Labor Day weekend. Monday was a bank holiday in America.  Details about the fire are still emerging and the cause is unknown. A mayday call was only made once the blaze was out of control.  Surviving crew members sought refuge on a fishing boat moored nearby, banging on the side to wake up Bob Hansen and his wife, who were sleeping onboard. "When we looked out, the other boat was totally engulfed in flames, from stem to stern," Mr Hansen told the New York Times. "There were these explosions every few beats. You can't prepare yourself for that. It was horrendous." Aaron Bemis, a US Coast Guard chief, told CNN that rescuers had been told there were 34 passengers in the sleeping quarters below who were trapped by the fire.  "The fire was so intense that even after it was put out, we're not able to actually embark the vessel and look for survivors at this point," he said on Monday morning.  Fire fighters tackle the blaze on the ship near Santa Cruz Island Credit: VENTURA COUNTY FIRE DEPARTMENT HANDOUT/EPA-EFE/REX Monica Rochester, a US Coast Guard captain, said in a brief news conference that the vessel eventually sank in 64 feet of water, but its bow was still visible above the waterline. Asked if the crew tried to help others aboard, Ms Rochester said: "I don't have any additional information." The Conception was operated by Worldwide Diving Adventures, a respected Santa Barbara-based company that says on its website it has been taking divers on expeditions since 1972. Asked if the boat operator has a history of any violations, Ms Rochester said: "The vessel has been in full compliance." The Conception had departed at 4am on Saturday with plans to return at 5pm on Monday. It was outfitted with dozens of small berths for people to sleep in overnight. US Senator Dianne Feinstein, a Democrat who represents California, called for an investigation. "It's inconceivable that with all the safety regulations we have in place today, a fire on a boat can lead to the loss of life we saw this morning," she said in a statement. "And we need to understand exactly how the crew was trained and, if they were awake and above-deck, why they were unable to alert or help rescue passengers."



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

One dead, nine wounded in French knife attack

One dead, nine wounded in French knife attackA 19-year-old man was killed and another nine wounded, three seriously, on Saturday in a knife attack near the French city of Lyon, a regional official and emergency services said. Two men, one armed with a knife and the other with a skewer, carried out the attack in Villeurbanne, a Lyon suburb, in southeastern France, the official said, without giving further details on the motive for the stabbing.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

French hiker missing in Italy nine days found dead

French hiker missing in Italy nine days found deadThe body of a French hiker who disappeared nine days ago south of Naples was found Sunday, local Italian authorities said. "The body of Simon Gautier has been found a short while ago," the authorities in Sapri, near Belvedere di Ciolandre where the 27-year-old hiker was found dead. Gautier called for help on August 9, saying he had fallen down a cliff and broken both legs, but was unable to give his location other than "in the middle of nowhere, on the coast".



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Ohio shooting: At least nine killed in Dayton by gunman ‘wearing body armour’ just hours after mass shooting in El Paso

Ohio shooting: At least nine killed in Dayton by gunman ‘wearing body armour’ just hours after mass shooting in El PasoAt least 10 people have been killed after a gunman opened fire outside a bar in Dayton, Ohio, in the early hours of Sunday morning, police have said.It came less than 24 hours after another mass shooting in the US, when a lone gunman in El Paso, Texas, shot dead 20 people on Saturday.Dayton police department said 10 people, including the gunman, had been killed, with another 16 people in local hospitals. The FBI is assisting with the investigation.The city’s mayor, Nan Whaley, said the shooter was wearing body armour and used a “.223 high-capacity” gun during the assault. “In less than one minute, Dayton first responders neutralized the shooter,” Ms Whaley said in a press conference.On its Twitter account, the department said the active shooter situation began in the Oregon District at around 1am, but that officers “in the immediate vicinity” were able to “put an end to it quickly”.Police believe there was only one shooter, and have not yet identified the suspect or a motive. Lieutenant colonel Matt Carper said the suspect used a long gun and fired multiple rounds. Video from the scene near downtown Dayton showed a host of emergency vehicles on a street that had been cordoned off.The Oregon District is a historic neighbourhood near downtown Dayton that’s home to entertainment options, including bars, restaurants and theatres. The shooting took place outside, on the 400 block of East 5th Street. “This is extremely unusual, obviously, for any community, let alone Dayton,” Mr Carper said at a press conference. “In our Oregon District, this is unheard of.” Miami Valley Hospital spokeswoman Terrea Little said 16 victims have been received at the hospital but could not confirm their conditions.Kettering Health Network spokeswoman Elizabeth Long said multiple victims from a shooting had been brought to system hospitals but did not have details on how many.“I’m heartbroken,” Ms Whaley tweeted early on Sunday, before thanking first responders for their efforts. Nikita Papillon, 23, was across the street at Newcom’s Tavern when the shooting started. She said she saw a girl she had talked to earlier lying outside Ned Peppers Bar. “She had told me she liked my outfit and thought I was cute, and I told her I liked her outfit and I thought she was cute,” Ms Papillon said. She herself had been to Ned Peppers the night before, describing it as the kind of place “where you don’t have to worry about someone shooting up the place.” “People my age, we don’t think something like this is going to happen,” she said. “And when it happens, words can’t describe it.” Tianycia Leonard, 28, was in the back, smoking, at Newcom’s. She heard “loud thumps” that she initially thought was people pounding on a bin. “It was so noisy, but then you could tell it was gunshots and there was a lot of rounds,” Ms Leonard said. Governor Mike DeWine issued his own statement before 7am, announcing that he had ordered flags in Ohio remain at half-mast and offered assistance to Ms Whaley. “Fran and I are absolutely heartbroken over the horrible attack that occurred this morning in Dayton, the statement said. “We join those across Ohio and this country in offering our prayers to victims and their families.” Additional reporting by agencies



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines