Tag Archives: mass

Top US cardinal let priest accused of sexual abuse lead Mass

Top US cardinal let priest accused of sexual abuse lead MassHOUSTON (AP) — The cardinal who leads the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops allowed a priest to celebrate Mass the same day his name was among those released on a list of clergy credibly accused of sexual abuse.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Amid mass arrests, Maduro won't touch rival Guaido

Amid mass arrests, Maduro won't touch rival GuaidoCARACAS, Venezuela (AP) — More than 700 opponents of President Nicolas Maduro have been arrested during the latest push by Venezuela's opposition to oust the socialist leader.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

20 dead as bombs target Sunday Mass in Philippine cathedral

20 dead as bombs target Sunday Mass in Philippine cathedralJOLO, Philippines (AP) — Two bombs minutes apart tore through a Roman Catholic cathedral on a southern Philippine island where Muslim militants are active, killing at least 20 people and wounding 111 others during a Sunday Mass, officials said.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Indonesia tsunami survivors hold vigil at Christmas mass

Indonesia tsunami survivors hold vigil at Christmas massInstead of holding festivities and exchanging presents, Pastor Rusman Anita Sitorus led a tearful vigil at a mass in her small church. “We were planning on holding a Christmas celebration every year, but this year is different due to the tsunami,” Sitorus said, as churchgoers lit candles and cried while praying. The occurrence of the disaster during the Christmas season evoked memories of the Indian Ocean tsunami triggered by an earthquake on Dec. 26, 2004, which killed 226,000 people in 14 countries, including more than 120,000 in Indonesia.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Congo archbishop urges peace at Christmas Eve midnight mass

Congo archbishop urges peace at Christmas Eve midnight massKINSHASA, Congo (AP) — An appeal for peace during Congo's tense, volatile election period was issued at a Christmas Eve midnight mass in Kinshasa.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Pope urges more 'sharing and giving' in Christmas mass

Pope urges more 'sharing and giving' in Christmas massPope Francis on Monday assailed the “insatiable greed” of today’s consumerism, calling on people in his Christmas homily to make “sharing and giving” more a part of their lives. “Mankind became greedy and voracious,” the leader of the world’s 1.3 billion Catholics said in an address to thousands of followers in Saint Peter’s Basilica in Rome. “In our day, for many people, life’s meaning is found in possessing, in having an excess of material objects,” he said.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Trump forces Mattis out of Pentagon early as Turkish troops mass on Syrian border

Trump forces Mattis out of Pentagon early as Turkish troops mass on Syrian borderPresident Donald Trump announced on Sunday that he was replacing James Mattis as secretary of defence two months earlier than had been expected, amid what officials said was anger at the general's resignation letter and the attention it had received. Mr Trump's new appointment, the current deputy secretary of defence, Patrick Shanahan, will begin work on January, pushing out his boss from the post he was due to hold until the end of February. Though Mr Shanahan's appointment had been widely predicted, it had not been expected so suddenly. It effectively means General Mattis, who wrote a scathing resignation letter condemning the US leader's decision to withdraw troops from Syria and his disrespectful handling of allies, may not even return to the Pentagon to clear his desk. A senior White House official said that Mr Trump was irked by the attention given to Gen. Mattis' rebuke of his foreign policy. "He just wants a smooth, more quick transition and felt that dragging it out for a couple of months is not good,” the official told the Associated Press on condition of anonymity. Pentagon officials had previously insisted Gen. Mattis would stay through February, when he would attend a NATO defence ministers meeting.     Tweeting the announcement from the White House on Sunday, Mr Trump wrote: "I am pleased to announce that our very talented Deputy Secretary of Defense, Patrick Shanahan, will assume the title of Acting Secretary of Defense starting January 1, 2019. Patrick has a long list of accomplishments while serving as Deputy, & previously Boeing. He will be great!" It was unclear whether Gen Mattis had been informed prior to the announcement.   Minutes later, further questions were raised as the president went on to appear to link the Syria withdrawal to expanding trade deals with Turkey – just as Turkish troops began to mobilise on the Syrian border. Mr Trump wrote: "I just had a long and productive call with President @RT_Erdogan of Turkey. We discussed ISIS, our mutual involvement in Syria, & the slow & highly coordinated pullout of US troops from the area. After many years they are coming home. We also discussed heavily expanded Trade." Last week, Gen. Mattis, a respected military leader who served under both Barack Obama and George Bush, infuriated Mr Trump with an excoriating resignation letter in which he attacked his unilateral decision to withdraw troops from Syria and his lack of respect for America's allies. Brett McGurk, the US ISIS envoy, also announced he was quitting. But Mr Trump's announcement was welcomed by Ankara, which had long been angered by the Western alliance with the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces in the fight against Isil.  Turkey views the Syrian Kurdish militia as an extension of the insurgency within its territory and has vowed to dislodge it fighters from the Syrian border region. Turkey has begun reinforcing its military deployment near the Syrian border for a possible operation against Syrian Kurdish militia  Credit: AFP As the news that the general was being forced out broke, it was reported that Turkey had begun sending military reinforcements to the Syrian border – the fallout from America's  withdrawal announcement apparently starting to take effect. According to the Turkish news station TRT, which broadcast footage, soldiers were heading to the town of Manbij, an area controlled by Kurdish forces. The British-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights also confirmed the movement. "Tens of soldiers and more than 50 military gears including trucks and armoured personnel carriers as well as other carriers that carry armoured vehicles in addition to other material and ammunition where it headed to the countryside of Manbij area, said Rami Abdel Rahman, the head of the SOHR. "Around 35 tanks and other heavy weapons, carried aboard tank carriers, crossed the Jarablus border crossing in the early evening."  Although the Americans have issued no timeline for withdrawal, it emerged on Friday that President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey had assured Mr Trump that he would finish off the job of eradicating ISIS in Syria during a high-stakes phone call. During that same call, the US leader reportedly said: "You know what? It's yours. I'm leaving." The president has since faced intense criticism at home this past week and yesterday there appeared to be no sign of that fading. Speaking to CNN, Bob Corker, the Republican chair of the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations, said: "We're in the final stages, ISIS is now concentrated in the Euphrates river valley, we're just a few months away from finishing something we started where we would annihilate large numbers of ISIS members, and we stopped. I'm just saddened for our country." Exiled Syrian opposition leader Nasr al-Hariri urged the US to coordinate its pull-out with rebel groups. ""An uncoordinated US withdrawal may leave a void that would be filled by Daesh (Isil), the Syrian regime or Iranian militias," Mr Hariri warned on Twitter.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Donald Trump moves to ban bump stocks used in America's worst mass shooting

Donald Trump moves to ban bump stocks used in America's worst mass shootingDonald Trump has officially moved to to ban bump stocks, the controversial devices that allow semi-automatic weapons to fire rapidly like automatic firearms. Bump stocks were used by gunman Stephen Paddock who killed 58 people at a music festival in Las Vegas in October last year,  the worst mass shooting in modern US history. A senior Justice Department official said bump stocks will be banned from late March next year. Following the Las Vegas shooting the devices became a focal point in the national gun control debate. Paddock rained a hail of bullets from his 32nd-floor Las Vegas hotel room, killing 58 people at a concert.  Following the shooting Mr Trump said he would ban the devices. However, opposition from the National Rifle Association prevented a law being passed by Congress. Instead, a regulation was signed by Matthew Whitaker, the acting attorney general, on Tuesday. It will go into effect 90 days after being formally published, which is expected to happen on Friday, the Justice Department official said. In March, Mr Trump said his administration would "ban" the devices, which he said "turn legal weapons into illegal machines." Shortly after his comments the justice department announced it had started the process to amend firearms regulations to define bump stocks as machine guns. That reversed a decision in 2010 by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives[ATF]  that bump stocks were not machine guns. Since the Las Vegas shooting at least 10 US states have introduced their own restrictions on the devices. Under the new regulation owners of bump stocks will have to surrender them to the ATF, or destroy them, by late March. Paddock was armed with  assault weapons, 14 of them fitted with bump stocks which increased their rate of fire. After killing the concert-goers Paddock shot himself dead. The largest maker of bump stocks, Slide Fire Solutions, announced in April that it was going to stop taking orders and shutting down its website.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Anti-government protesters mass for 5th day in Hungary

Anti-government protesters mass for 5th day in HungaryBUDAPEST, Hungary (AP) — A few thousand demonstrators gathered in freezing temperatures outside Hungary's state broadcaster Monday night in a fifth day of protests against the right-wing government of Prime Minister Viktor Orban.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

At scene of South Sudan mass rape, 'no one could hear me'

At scene of South Sudan mass rape, 'no one could hear me'NHIALDIU, South Sudan (AP) — Wrapping an arm around her stomach, the young woman hung her head and recounted the day in early November when she and a friend were bound, dragged into the bush and raped by four men with guns.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines