Tag Archives: Journalist

Jeffrey Epstein told a journalist he funded Sophia the robot, who he claimed would have 'more empathy than a woman'

Jeffrey Epstein told a journalist he funded Sophia the robot, who he claimed would have 'more empathy than a woman'Sophia the robot garnered media attention for her quotable moments and diverse facial expressions. Jeffrey Epstein told a journalist he funded her.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Jeffrey Epstein told a journalist he funded Sophia the robot, who he claimed would have 'more empathy than a woman'

Jeffrey Epstein told a journalist he funded Sophia the robot, who he claimed would have 'more empathy than a woman'Sophia the robot garnered media attention for her quotable moments and diverse facial expressions. Jeffrey Epstein told a journalist he funded her.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Journalist killed in Mexico

Journalist killed in MexicoThe head of a Mexican news website was found stabbed to death in the center of the country, authorities said Saturday, the 10th such killing this year. The body of Nevith Condes Jaramillo “was found Saturday morning… showing injuries from a sharp object,” the state prosecutor said in a statement. Condes Jaramillo, 42, was the head of a local news site in Tejupilco and was also an announcer on a community radio station.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Sri Lanka army spies charged over journalist attack

Sri Lanka army spies charged over journalist attackSri Lanka on Wednesday charged two army spies for a decade-old serious assault of a newspaper editor in the wake of the shock assassination of high-profile anti-establishment journalist Lasantha Wickrematunge. Rivira editor Upali Tennakoon and his wife were lucky to survive the attack in January 2009 outside the capital Colombo as they drove to work. It was the latest in a string of violent attacks against journalists in Sri Lanka, and came two weeks after Wickrematunge was ambushed and stabbed to death as he drove to his office.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Journalist reporting on immigration released from ‘inhumane’ US migrant detention centre after 15 months

Journalist reporting on immigration released from ‘inhumane’ US migrant detention centre after 15 monthsThere were bugs, and the showers were cold. Air conditioning was not available, but the heat was turned on inexplicably.If you didn’t have family in the United States to send money for food, you would go hungry.Those are just some of the conditions Manuel Duran described after he was released from a US immigration detention centre.As a journalist in Memphis, Tennessee, Mr Duran had been reporting on immigration enforcement officials and sordid conditions for more than a decade by the time they took him into custody last year.Now, he says he’s experienced the neglect himself.“I’ve seen the cruelty of the mass detention of immigrants firsthand,” Mr Duran told reporters in Spanish on Wednesday, “and it is unnecessary and inhumane.”Mr Duran, a native of El Salvador, had been working for the Spanish-language news outlet Memphis Noticias.After being released last week from 15 months in detention, Mr Duran, 43, decried what he called the brutal treatment of immigrants by Donald Trump’s administration.Detention centres have faced severe overcrowding in the past several months, prompting outrage and calls for change.Unlike many reporters who focus on immigration, Mr Duran has lived through the detention conditions he covers.Migrants did not get enough food at any of the four facilities where Mr Duran was held, he said at the news conference on Wednesday.They had to buy rations with money sent by their families, and if they didn’t have relatives in the United States, the migrants would go hungry.The holding facilities were infested with cockroaches and spiders, Mr Duran said. At Etowah County Detention Centre in Alabama, he said he had to bathe with cold water from hoses for two months.The air conditioner was being repaired for most of the spring, Mr Duran said, and the heat was turned on at one point, making it difficult to sleep.“I’ve seen the disastrous effect of Trump’s anti-immigrant policy,” Mr Duran said. “I’ve seen working men, businessmen, who have lived their whole lives in this country and who haven’t committed crimes crying and longing to reunite with their families.”Mr Duran alleged that ICE had singled him out for detention because he was a journalist from El Salvador.His attorneys at the Southern Poverty Law Centre also argued in a court document that law enforcement had arrested and detained Mr Duran in an attempt to suppress his reporting critical of immigration enforcement.“In the US, we are made to believe that freedom of the press is valued, but I can tell you all that under the Trump administration, this isn’t true,” Mr Duran said.He was released from detention on bond on 11 July while the Board of Immigration Appeals considers whether to grant him asylum because journalists face dangerous conditions in El Salvador, his attorneys said.Gracie Willis, a staff attorney at the Southern Poverty Law Centre, said Mr Duran decided to speak to reporters about his experience in detention because he considers journalism a form of advocacy.“I think for him, it was important for him to speak to the press, who are his brothers and sisters in his vocation – to inform them about the things that he saw,” Ms Willis said.On 3 April 2018, Mr Duran was reporting on a protest of local police helping Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) when Memphis police arrested him while they were trying to clear people from the street, according to Mr Duran’s attorneys.Mr Duran was charged with disorderly conduct and obstruction of a highway, the lawyers wrote in the court document, but the charges were dropped two days later.Instead of releasing Mr Duran from jail, his attorneys said he was turned over to ICE and brought on an eight-hour bus ride to the LaSalle detention centre in Jena, Louisiana – without access to a bathroom and with his wrists, ankles and waist in shackles.Mr Duran migrated to the United States in 2006, when his television reporting in El Salvador subjected him to death threats, his attorneys wrote.He missed an immigration court hearing the next year because he was not told about it, according to his lawyers, causing a judge to issue a removal order for him.ICE on Thursday did not respond to a request for information about his case and for a response to his criticisms of the detention centres.Mauricio Calvo, the executive director of advocacy group Latino Memphis, said many other immigrants face the same conditions that Mr Duran described.Attorneys from Latino Memphis, an organisation that provides services and advocates for policies that benefit Latinos, were part of Mr Duran’s legal team.“This guy had a lot of support because he’s a journalist and all these different things,” Mr Calvo said, “but we have 500 cases at Latino Memphis, and most people cannot get the attention that Manuel did.”Mr Duran is not the first foreign-born journalist to be detained by ICE.Emilio Gutiérrez Soto, a Mexican reporter, migrated to the United States in 2008 after he says soldiers broke into his home and took his identity documents.He and his son Oscar were denied asylum in 2017 and temporarily detained. Their immigration cases are ongoing.Washington Post



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Mississippi Republican says gay female journalist covering his campaign must have male chaperone

Mississippi Republican says gay female journalist covering his campaign must have male chaperoneA Republican candidate for governor in Mississippi has banned a female reporter from riding along on a campaign trip unless she brought a male colleague to accompany her, citing concerns that the journalist could be used in a smear campaign alleging an extramarital affair.The reporter, Mississippi Today’s Larrison Campbell, wrote about the incident with state representative and candidate Robert Foster on Tuesday, noting that two other candidates in the state’s Republican primary agreed to “ride alongs” with a fellow male reporter from her news organisation.In her post, Ms Campbell noted that she had been the first to report several important stories related to the campaign, including Mr Foster’s original entrance into the race. She has also said she made several efforts to satisfy the campaign's concern, including offering to prominently wear a press badge on the trip or to produce her story quickly so that Mr Foster would be able to quickly stop any rumours."I was frustrated. I felt like I was banging my head against the wall, and then I was angry because there was no reason other than my gender that I wasn't getting to write this story that I felt needed to be written," Ms Campbell, who is openly gay, told The Independent.Ms Campbell said that, since going public with the story, she has heard from women in Mississippi and all across the country, saying that they have experienced different versions of that same sexism in traditionally male-dominated fields."I think politics is traditionally a male arena, and for some people out there they're not used to seeing women working in that arena," she said. She continued, noting the women who have reached out to her since publishing her story: "It's political reporters, but it's also campaign staff. It's people who have just been women in predominantly male areas who say they're tired of being treated differently. It is sexist, and it is something that we need to be talking about."In her post, Ms Campbell says that Mr Foster’s campaign director, Colton Robison, had told her that she would need a male colleague with her for an upcoming 15-hour campaign trip. That man was necessary, Mr Robinson reportedly said, because the campaign “can’t risk” the possibility that photos or videos would be taken of the reporter and candidate together, and used in a smear campaign insinuating the two are having an extramarital affair.“The only reason you think that people will think I’m having an (improper) relationship with your candidate is because I am a woman,” Ms Campbell said she told Mr Robison.We “can’t risk it,” he replied.Ms Campbell has reported for Mississippi Today for the past three and a half years, a time in which she both broke the story about Mr Foster’s campaign announcement, but also the story about him being offered $ 1m to drop out and pursue a different position.Mr Foster is a far right candidate, and his candidacy is considered to be a long shot bid to become the state party’s standard bearer.Ms Campbell wrote that she declined the request from the campaign.“My editor and I agreed the request was sexist and an unnecessary use of resources given this reporter’s experience covering Mississippi politics; Tuesday, Robinson was informed that this reporter would participate in the ride-along story alone,” she wrote.The campaign then reiterated the refusal. In response to a request for clarification, Mr Foster said that he would welcome an interview with Ms Campbell provided the circumstances were "appropriate", and said that his decision regarding the ride along was in accordance with an agreement he made with his wife."Before our decision to run, my wife and I made a commitment to follow the 'Billy Graham Rule', which is to avoid any situation that may evoke suspicion or compromise of our marriage. I am sorry Ms Campbell doesn’t share these same views, but my decision was out of respect of my wife, character, and our Christian faith," Mr Foster told The Independent in an email. He continued: "We don’t mind granting Ms Campbell an interview. We just want it to be in an appropriate and professional setting that wouldn’t provide opportunities for us to be alone."Ms Campbell said that, while this isn't the first time she has experienced sexism working as a political reporter, it was the first time it has actually stopped her from doing her job. Recalling a time when a politician grabbed her waist in the middle of an interview, or of times when fellow women reporters have been slipped notes by male sources after hours when out on the town, Ms Campbell said the issue can be found everywhere."It's gross. This stuff happens all the time, and it doesn't just happen in Mississippi. It happens everywhere," she said. "The difference here is it hasn't yet stopped me from doing my job, and this time it stopped me from doing my job. It's the straw that broke the camel's back. It isn't fair, and it isn't right [that these other incidents repeatedly occur], but this is the first time it has really stopped me from doing my job."



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Venezuela Top Court Says Jailed Judge and Journalist Released

Venezuela Top Court Says Jailed Judge and Journalist Released(Bloomberg) — Venezuelan courts released judge Maria Lourdes Afiuni nine years after her arrest and journalist Braulio Jatar, the country’s top court said in separate posts on Twitter, without offering further details.Afiuni, writing on Twitter around mid-day on Friday, confirmed her release, saying she would post a message when she had the official high court resolution. As of Friday evening, Afiuni had not posted that information.National Assembly leader Juan Guaido said on Twitter that Afiuni and Jatar were released due to the United Nations High Commission for Human Rights report on Venezuela published on Thursday.United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet said that 22 people were released on Thursday, without specifying if Afiuni or Jatar were included in that figure. “We welcome these releases and encourage the authorities to release others detained for the exercise of their human rights,” Bachelet said in a statement.The United Nations report called on Nicolas Maduro’s regime to take “immediate, concrete measures to halt and remedy the grave violations” of economic, social and civil rights.Venezuela’s government responded, saying the UN report showed bias by minimizing measures to improve people’s lives and ignored official data, while failing to mention violent actions by the opposition.To contact the reporter on this story: Jose Orozco in Mexico City at jorozco8@bloomberg.netTo contact the editors responsible for this story: Ney Hayashi at ncruz4@bloomberg.net, Dale QuinnFor more articles like this, please visit us at bloomberg.com©2019 Bloomberg L.P.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Philippines Journalist Maria Ressa Arrested Again

Philippines Journalist Maria Ressa Arrested AgainAcclaimed Philippine journalist Maria Ressa was arrested at Manila’s airport Friday for allegedly violating a ban on foreign media ownership, the latest legal backlash to sting the longtime critic of President Rodrigo Duterte.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Palestinian journalist wins appeal over Gaza graft report

Palestinian journalist wins appeal over Gaza graft reportA Palestinian journalist was acquitted on appeal over an investigative report about corruption in the Gaza Strip Monday, according to Amnesty International and a campaign group. In a 2016 report for Al-Araby TV, Hajar Harb alleged that doctors were writing false medical reports to let people leave Gaza for treatment, one of the few reasons Israel allows Palestinians out of the blockaded strip run by Hamas. The appeals court in Gaza “acquitted journalist Hajar Harb of all charges and closed her file,” he said.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Venezuela: prominent journalist taken by intelligence service

Venezuela: prominent journalist taken by intelligence serviceLuis Carlos Díaz, who was charged with inciting violence and ordered not to leave the country, was released late on TuesdayVenezuela’s National Press Workers Union said agents raided Luis Carlos Díaz’s home shortly before dawn, seizing computers as the handcuffed journalist looked on. Photograph: Ronaldo Schemidt/AFP/Getty ImagesA prominent Venezuelan journalist who had been reporting on the country’s escalating political crisis and electricity blackout out has been seized by secret police, sparking international condemnation.Luis Carlos Díaz went missing at about 5.30pm on Monday after leaving the radio station where he worked in the capital, Caracas.A social media hunt ensued with Twitter users demanding ~~~~ DóndeEstáLuisCarlos or ~~~~ WhereIsLuisCarlos.Fellow journalists confirmed Díaz had been taken by members of Venezuela’s intelligence service, Sebin.He was charged with inciting violence and released late on Tuesday. A judge ordered him not to leave the country and prohibited him from making public statements.Venezuela’s National Press Workers Union said agents raided Díaz’s home shortly before dawn, seizing computers and pen drives as the handcuffed journalist looked on.Díaz was reportedly held in the notorious El Helicoide political prison.Luz Mely Reyes, an internationally acclaimed Venezuelan journalist, told the Guardian her colleague’s detention was part of an escalating war on the press being waged by the country’s embattled leader, Nicolás Maduro.Maduro is fighting for his political life after an audacious challenge from a young opposition leader called Juan Guaidó, who most western governments now recognize as Venezuela’s rightful interim president.“I think one of the things [Maduro] is trying to achieve is to intimidate [journalists] and ensure the stories about what is going on in Venezuela are not told,” Reyes said. “Repression against the press has been growing.”Last week, one day before much of Venezuela was paralyzed by a massive power cut, an American freelance journalist who had worked for the Daily Telegraph was deported after being seized at his home in Caracas. A rightwing German journalist, Billy Six, has reportedly been held in El Helicoide since being detained on suspicion of espionage last year.“It is just a joke,” his father, Edward Six, told the Guardian in a recent interview. “Journalism is not a crime.”Díaz’s detention – which authorities have yet to explain – triggered condemnation in and outside of Venezuela, with Guaidó denouncing Maduro’s “persecution” of journalists.The UN human rights chief Michelle Bachelet tweeted that she was “deeply worried” by the detention of Díaz, adding that UN officials in Caracas had urgently requested access to him.During a brief conversation in the early hours of Tuesday, Díaz reportedly told Naky Soto, his journalist wife, he had been detained near the Korean embassy in Caracas while riding his bicycle home. Agents said he was suspected of “IT offenses”.Last Friday, Maduro’s second-in-command, Diosdado Cabello, published a conspiratorial video on Twitter insinuating Díaz was part of a “rancid” rightwing US-backed plot to destroy Venezuela’s electricity network.Reyes said she feared Díaz’s detention would not be the last, as the political situation in Venezuela deteriorated. “This is not a game – this is a very serious situation that puts us on alert.”



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines