Tag Archives: Italian

Italian boy found with coronavirus more than a year ago could be Europe’s first case


Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Italian television programme suspended over ‘tutorial’ on how women should shop sexily


Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Painting found in Italian museum wall is stolen Klimt

Painting found in Italian museum wall is stolen KlimtA painting found stashed inside a wall at an Italian museum has been confirmed as the stolen “Portrait of a Lady” by Austria’s Gustav Klimt, prosecutors said on Friday, two decades after the artwork went missing. The century-old painting was discovered concealed in an external wall by gardeners at the Ricci Oddi Gallery of Modern Art in Piacenza, northeast Italy, last month. “It is with no small emotion that I can tell you the work is authentic,” prosecutor Ornella Chicca told reporters.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Italian government is split over norms to revoke motorway concessions

Italian government is split over norms to revoke motorway concessionsItaly’s government failed to agree on Saturday on a law that would make it easier and less costly to revoke concessions to operate motorways, a sign of division among the ruling parties on how to handle the aftermath of a fatal road bridge collapse last year. A government minister who did not want to be named said after a five-hour cabinet meeting that the government had provisionally approved a document, but measures still needed to be agreed on before it becomes definitive. It also considerably reduces the amounts the government must pay to a toll road company if a concession is revoked due to shortcomings on the part of the operator.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

5 Italian men sentenced to jail for rape of tourist in popular holiday resort

5 Italian men sentenced to jail for rape of tourist in popular holiday resortFive Italian men have been jailed for the gang rape of a British tourist in the popular resort of Meta di Sorrento, south of Naples.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Italian city evacuated as World War Two-era British bomb is defused

Italian city evacuated as World War Two-era British bomb is defusedItalian authorities ordered the biggest peacetime evacuation in the country since World War Two on Sunday to defuse a massive unexploded British bomb that was partially damaged when discovered in the southern city of Brindisi. The historic evacuation displaced some 53,000 residents  —more than half — of the coastal city on the Adriatic,  due to the high risk that the 440-pound ordnance containing 40 kilograms of dynamite could explode. The chances of detonation were increased after the munition was damaged on November 2  by a bulldozer excavating for a remodel of a cinema.. The bomb is believed to have been dropped on the city in a 1941 air raid, during the period of World War Two when Italy was still allied with Germany and Royal Air Force  bombers based in Malta were targeting Naples, Brindisi and Bari in order to disrupt Axis shipping lanes. According to the Italian defence department, it is just one of thousands of unexploded ordnances that still lie dormant and undiscovered throughout Italy. Earlier this month more than 10,000 Turin residents were evacuated for the deactivation of a similar British bomb, as were 4000 residents of the northern city of Bolzano in October.  In the month and a half since the unexploded bomb was discovered in Brindisi, city officials put into place a strict evacuation plan with a 1,617 metre “red zone” around the damaged bomb, which was reinforced with an external structure last week. The city's airport, train station, hospitals and prison were shut down as part of the operation on Sunday.   By  mid-morning the bomb had been successfully defused by a team of more than a dozen Italian army explosives experts, who used a special metal key that was carefully turned with remote-controlled technology, as the mayor and other security officials watched drone footage of the operation from a nearby situation room. The bomb is expected to be set off tomorrow in a remote location outside the city.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Italian museum 'optimistic' that painting found is stolen Klimt

Italian museum 'optimistic' that painting found is stolen KlimtDirectors of an Italian museum are optimistic that a painting found hidden in a wall this week is a Gustav Klimt work stolen two decades ago, a director said on Thursday. Preliminary indications appear that the painting of a woman found by gardeners on Tuesday inside an external wall on the museum’s grounds could indeed by the “Portrait of a Woman” painted by the Austrian artist in 1916-1917. “What interests us the most is whether it’s the original or not, rather than the theft investigation,” said Massimo Ferrari, president of the Ricci Oddi Gallery of Modern Art, a museum in Piacenza, in northwest Italy.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

American soldiers banned from Italian main street after vicious brawl

American soldiers banned from Italian main street after vicious brawlAround 2,000 US Army soldiers have been banned from one of the main streets in the Italian city of Vicenza after a  brawl between soldiers and locals.  The temporary ban, which affects members of the 173rd Airborne Brigade stationed in the city, involves the quaint via  Contra' Pescherie Vecchie, where two young Vicenza men say they were surrounded and beaten by several soldiers after a verbal exchange just outside a popular watering hole for off duty combat paratroopers.  “This is not my face. I was not like this before,” Riccardo Passaro, 21, told La Repubblica from the hospital where he is recovering from reconstructive facial surgery after his jaw was shattered.  City authorities are studying CCTV images to identify the culprits of the latest violent episode, which prompted Mayor Francesco Rucco to request special restrictive measures from the base commander.  Col. Kenneth Burgess issued a memo warning that personnel caught entering the restricted zone during the 45-day ban faced disciplinary sanctions. “It is a decree without precedent in Vicenza and for this we thank the American authorities," Mayor Rucco said. The US military presence in Vicenza has been expanding for the last decade, with construction of the large Del Din annex north of the historic Ederle garrison to help lodge US Africa Command and the 173rd Airborne Brigade Combat Team, which conducts contingency response and NATO ally training in Europe.  Vicenza's 113,000 inhabitants now intermingle, mostly peacefully, with more than 12,000 Americans, including military family members and employees of the two bases bookending the city.  But an uptick in problems related to heavy drinking, violence and public disorder since the expansion has exasperated locals.   In 2014,  several rape investigations and a car crash in the city centre involving three pedestrians made headlines. In 2016 and 2017 there were bloody brawls involving injuries and property damage. And in 2018, police intervened 550 times in violent incidents involving Americans, prompting new joint night patrols this year by U.S. military police and Italian Carabinieri.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Vatican 'disgusted' by anti-Semitic abuse of Italian Holocaust survivor

Vatican 'disgusted' by anti-Semitic abuse of Italian Holocaust survivorA Vatican cardinal said on Friday he was “disgusted” by the anti-Semitic abuse of an 89-year-old Italian senator and Holocaust survivor who was given police protection after receiving death threats. Segre, a survivor of the Auschwitz extermination camp who was made a life senator last year, had called for a parliamentary commission to investigate hate, racism and anti-Semitism.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

At least nine migrants dead after boat capsizes off Italian island of Lampedusa

At least nine migrants dead after boat capsizes off Italian island of LampedusaAt least nine people died when a boat carrying dozens of migrants sank off the coast of the island of Lampedusa, south of Sicily, Italy's coastguard said on Monday. The coastguard said rescue vessels had picked up 22 people, and search operations for other survivors were underway after an alert was received late on Sunday night that a boat carrying some 50 people was in difficulty. The UN migration agency said the boat had set sail from Tunisia and had been carrying Tunisian and west African migrants. Vessels from the coastguard and customs police had reached the vessel, which overturned in rough seas about six nautical miles from the coast of Lampedusa, the coastguard said in a statement. Nine bodies had been recovered, it added. "This highlights once again that urgent action is needed to address the situation in the Mediterranean," said Charlie Yaxley, a spokesperson for the United Nations' refugee agency, the UNHCR. "More than 1,000 people have died on the Mediterranean this year alone, most on the route from Libya to Europe," he said. The Italian interior ministry says some 7,939 migrants have reached Italy by boat so far this year, down 63% on the same period in 2018 and 93% on 2017 levels.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines