Tag Archives: hunt

Special Report: The hunt for Asia's El Chapo

Special Report: The hunt for Asia's El ChapoHe is Asia’s most-wanted man. Tse Chi Lop, a Canadian national born in China, is suspected of leading a vast multinational drug trafficking syndicate formed out of an alliance of five of Asia’s triad groups, according to law enforcement officials. The syndicate, law enforcers believe, is funneling tonnes of methamphetamine, heroin and ketamine to at least a dozen countries from Japan in North Asia to New Zealand in the South Pacific.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Canadian police zero in on location in hunt for teen murder suspects

Canadian police zero in on location in hunt for teen murder suspectsCanadian police announced Sunday they had zeroed in on a small community in Manitoba in their hunt for two fugitive teens suspected in three murders. The suspects, identified as Kam McLeod, 19, and Bryer Schmegelsky, 18, have been on the run for more than a week. Authorities say they believe the two are behind the killings of 23-year-old Australian Lucas Fowler and his 24-year-old American girlfriend, Chynna Deese, as well as of Leonard Dyck, a 64-year-old Canadian.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Canadian air force joins hunt for teen murder suspects

Canadian air force joins hunt for teen murder suspectsThe Royal Canadian Air Force has joined the hunt for two fugitive teens suspected of triple murder, officials said Saturday, backing up a vast search operation unfolding in Manitoba’s remote northeast. The suspects, identified as Kam McLeod, 19, and Bryer Schmegelsky, 18, have been on the run for more than a week. Authorities say they believe the two are behind the killings of 23-year-old Australian Lucas Fowler and his 24-year-old American girlfriend, Chynna Deese, as well as of Leonard Dyck, a 64-year-old Canadian.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Vatican opens burial chambers in hunt for princesses and missing teen

Vatican opens burial chambers in hunt for princesses and missing teenThe Vatican on Saturday opened two burial chambers discovered under a trapdoor as it attempts to get to the bottom of a riddle involving two 19th-century princesses and a teenager who went missing 36 years ago. The ossuaries were found last week under the floor of the Pontifical Teutonic College after the shock discovery earlier this month that the bones of the princesses had disappeared from tombs in the Teutonic Cemetery. The graves of Princess Sophie von Hohenlohe and Princess Charlotte Federica of Mecklenburg, who died in 1836 and 1840, were exhumed after an anonymous tip-off that they may hold the remains of a missing Italian youngster.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

UPDATE 1-UK's Hunt says Iran may be on "dangerous path" after seizing tanker

UPDATE 1-UK's Hunt says Iran may be on "dangerous path" after seizing tankerBritish foreign minister Jeremy Hunt said on Saturday that he was worried that Iran had taken a “dangerous path” after it seized a British-flagged tanker on Friday in the Strait of Hormuz. Iran’s Fars news agency reported that the Stena Impero had been taken to the port of Bander Abbas, which faces the strait, after it said the tanker had been involved in an accident with an Iranian fishing vessel.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Bones found after tombs exhumed in hunt for girl who went missing in Vatican City 30 years ago

Bones found after tombs exhumed in hunt for girl who went missing in Vatican City 30 years agoThirty years after the disappearance of the 15-year old daughter of a Vatican City employee, a case that has mystified Rome for decades, the Vatican has announced that two sets of bones have been found under a stone manhole cover in one of its cemeteries.   A request from the family of the missing girl, Emanuela Orlandi, prompted the Vatican to open the tombs of two 19th-century German princesses in the cemetery of the Pontifical Teutonic College on Thursday this week. The family had received an anonymous tip that Orlandi's remains might be buried in that area of the cemetery.  However, after two hours of work, the team found the graves completely empty – containing neither the expected remains of the princesses or any clues to the more modern mystery.   Following the fruitless exhumation, Vatican police decided to hold new searches in the area of the cemetery where the remains of Princess Sophie von Hohenlohe, who died in 1836, and Princess Carlotta Federica of Mecklenburg, who died in 1840, should have been.  Vatican authorities said their bones could have been moved over the years due to structural works at the cemetery in the 1960s and 1970s. Vatican spokesman Alessandro Gisotti said Saturday the searches had centered on the area adjacent to the princesses' tombs, inside the Pontifical Teutonic College. There investigators identified two ossuaries – or set of bones – located under the pavement of an area covered by a manhole.  Mr Gisotti added the area was immediately sealed off and the ossuaries will be opened in the presence of forensic experts on July 20 for further investigations.  The two set of bones could belong to the two princesses, but could also bring the search for Orlandi a step forward.  The daughter of a Vatican bank employee, Orlandi disappeared in June 1983 after leaving her family's Vatican City apartment for a music lesson in Rome. Over the years,there have been many rumours, some wilder than others, about what happened to her – including conspiracies tied to the Mafia, the Vatican bank scandal and the plot to assassinate Pope John Paul II. The new inspections were a result of the ongoing efforts of the Orlandi family to find the truth about the disappearance of their relative. The Vatican gave the green light to the exhumations after the family received an anonymous note last summer, hinting that the girl's remains might be in one of the two graves located in the Vatican's Teutonic Cemetery.  According to the letter, Orlandi’s body should have been found in the tomb that an angel holding a sheet saying: “Rest in peace” points to from its location on the cemetery wall.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Johnson Set for Crushing Victory Over Hunt, Poll Suggests

Johnson Set for Crushing Victory Over Hunt, Poll Suggests(Bloomberg) — Boris Johnson looks set for a landslide victory over rival Jeremy Hunt in the race to become Britain’s next prime minister.According to a YouGov poll published in the Times newspaper, Johnson is backed by 74% of Conservative Party members with Hunt languishing on 26%.The survey also suggests that the vast majority of the 160,000 grassroots party members who will receive their ballot papers this weekend don’t believe Hunt’s claim that he’s prepared to take Britain out of the European Union without a deal. Only 27% think Hunt would do so, compared with 90% for Johnson.In an interview with the Times, Hunt sought to play down perceptions that Johnson’s status as the Brexit referendum’s poster child would influence the outcome of the vote. Preparing for an exit without an agreement with Brussels is key, he said, adding that the best way to deliver Brexit would be do so with an accord.“The choice on this election isn’t actually between our approach to no-deal, it’s who is the candidate who is most likely to negotiate a deal so that we don’t have those difficult decisions to take,” Hunt said.In an interview with the Daily Mail, Johnson responded to a question on what he would do if, by the Brexit deadline at the end of October, the EU has refused to reopen the Withdrawal Agreement and Parliament has blocked a no-deal exit, saying it wouldn’t happen “in a month of Sundays.”Brexit has become an “existential” issue for both main parties so they need to “move on and get it done,” the newspaper quoted him as saying.In the Daily Mail interview Johnson sought to buttress his law and order credentials with a commitment to ensure that serious sexual or violent offenders serve out their full sentences rather than being released at the halfway point as at present. Restrictions on stop-and-search, put in place by Theresa May when she was Home Secretary, should be dumped, he said.The new prime minister is expected to be announced — and then take office — during the week of July 22.(Updates with excerpts from Daily Mail interview from sixth paragraph.)To contact the reporters on this story: James Ludden in New York at jludden@bloomberg.net;John Glover in London at johnglover@bloomberg.netTo contact the editors responsible for this story: Matthew G. Miller at mmiller144@bloomberg.net, James AmottFor more articles like this, please visit us at bloomberg.com©2019 Bloomberg L.P.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Hunt for pet-eating python as 9ft snake goes on the loose in Cambridge

Hunt for pet-eating python as 9ft snake goes on the loose in CambridgeRabbit and chicken owners in Cambridge have been warned to be vigilant following the escape of a nine-foot reticulated python. The non-venomous snake is unlikely to pose a threat to human life but could make small animals like rabbits and chickens its prey. Police in Cambridgeshire received reports that a snake had been spotted near Lovell Road in Cambridge. In the early hours of Sunday morning officers attended the area but failed to spot the animal. The snake's owners have been located and provided police with details on the animal. Steve Allain, chairman of the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Amphibian and Reptile Group said the escaped reptile poses a threat to rabbits, chickens and potentially dogs and cats but added that the latter two pets are more like to be able to defend themselves if attacked.  Mr Allain said the threat posed depends on when the animal last ate.  “We don’t when it last fed or how hungry it is or how determined it is to find a meal,” Mr Allain said.  Mr Allain said the “snake could be anywhere” and would be easier to locate during the colder winter months when it would seek warmth.  “With the hot weather this weekend, it will be comfortable in most places. During the winter, the first place you would look would be in and around cars where they seek the warmth of the engine.” An Indonesian woman was swallowed by a 23-foot reticulated python last year but Mr Allain said this smaller creature does not pose a similar threat.  The RSPCA advised anyone that encounters the creature not to approach it. “If anyone finds a snake they believe is non-native the RSPCA’s advice is to keep a safe distance, monitor the snake and call the charity’s helpline on 0300 1234 999,” a spokeswoman said.  Reticulated pythons are the world's longest snake, native to south-east Asia and can grow up to 31.5 feet, according to Encyclopaedia Britannica. They are not venomous. In May, Cambridgeshire Constabulary found a large orange and black striped corn snake out and about. "Road policing officers got a bit of a shock this morning when they came across thissss snake in the grass on Arbury Road in Cambridge," police said on Twitter. The snake was taken to a wildlife centre in Stretham. Anyone who sees the latest snake is asked to notify police on 101.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Japanese whaling ships prepare first commercial hunt in more than 30 years

Japanese whaling ships prepare first commercial hunt in more than 30 yearsJapanese whaling ships were preparing on Sunday to set to sea, with crews gathering on decks in a northern port as Japan undertakes its first commercial whaling hunt in more than 30 years on Monday. Japan announced last year it was leaving the International Whaling Commission (IWC) and would resume commercial whaling on July 1, sparking global condemnation and fears for the world’s whales. Japan has long maintained that eating whale is an important part of its culture and that most species are not endangered. A global whaling moratorium was imposed in 1986, but Japan then began what it called scientific research whaling in the North Pacific and Antarctic. Critics said the it was simply commercial whaling in disguise. "I used to eat whale when I was young, but it's been too expensive recently,” said Sachiko Sakai, 66, a taxi driver waiting for fares in Kushiro, a port town on the northernmost main island of Hokkaido. "Maybe now that commercial whaling is going to restart, it’ll be cheaper and we can get our hands on it more easily.” The hunt will be confined to Japan’s exclusive economic zone. Whaling vessels ready to be deployed in Kushiro on Sunday Credit: REUTERS/Kim Kyung-Hoon The five small whaling ships due to set off early Monday morning were moored at a wharf in a quiet corner of Kushiro port. On their decks were what appeared to be harpoon guns covered in tarpaulins. The vessels come from whaling ports around Japan, including one from Taiji, the town made notorious for its dolphin drive-hunts featured in the Oscar-winning documentary “The Cove”. Some vessels were decorated with good luck flags, flapping in a cold wind. Some crew members carried groceries while others held towels and shampoo, apparently headed to a public bath. One wore brightly coloured shorts decorated with images of whales and other animals. Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, whose district includes the old whaling centre of Shimonoseki, has long campaigned to restart commercial whaling, but the industry’s future is far from clear. Only about 300 people around Japan are directly connected to whaling, and the annual supply of whale – about 5,000 tonnes – amounts to roughly 40-50 grams per Japanese person a year. "To resume this so we can eat it – well, that’s good,” said Yuya Kusakari, 37, who was fishing for flounder with his 8-year-old son not far from where the whaling ships were docked. Mr Kusakari said he ate whale maybe once or twice a year. "It’s really not all that available now, and it’s expensive,” he said.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Jeremy Hunt rules Britain out of US-Iran war as Donald Trump and Hassan Rouhani exchange insults

Jeremy Hunt rules Britain out of US-Iran war as Donald Trump and Hassan Rouhani exchange insultsDonald Trump threatened Iran with “obliteration” after the country’s president questioned his mental health for imposing sanctions against the Islamic Republic’s supreme leader.  The exchange of insults came as Britain ruled itself out of a potential war between the two sides.  Jeremy Hunt, the foreign secretary, told the Commons on Tuesday: "The US is our closest ally, we talk to them the whole time, we consider any requests that they say carefully, but I cannot envisage any situation where they request or we agree to any moves to go to war. "The message we are sending with our partners in the European Union particularly the French and the Germans is that with respect to Iran's nuclear programme, this is a crucial week.” Mr Trump signed an executive order imposing financial sanctions on Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, Iran's head of state, and several senior military commanders on Monday in retaliation for the downing of a US surveillance drone last week. Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei ws placed under fresh US sanctions on Monday US officials said they expected to sanction Javad Zarif, the foreign minister, in the near future. Mike Pompeo, the US Secretary of State, simultaneously said the US was ready for talks with Iran without pre-conditions.  Hassan Rouhani, the president of Iran, said in a televised address on Tuesday that the mixed messages showed the White House had “lost its mind.” "You sanction the foreign minister simultaneously with a request for talks," he said in a televised address. "The White House is afflicted by mental disability and does not know what to do." There was debate about whether the Persian word used by Mr Rouhani was better rendered as "retardation".  An Iranian foreign ministry spokesman said separately that the sanctions against Ayatollah Khamenei, Iran’s head of state, breached international practice and meant “closing the door to diplomacy.” In an apparent response to Mr Rouhani, Mr Trump tweeted on Tuesday afternoon: “Iran leadership doesn’t understand the words “nice” or “compassion,” they never have.” The US has blamed Iran for attacks on oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman on June 13 and May 12 Credit: Iranian Students' News Agency, ISNA He went on: “Iran’s very ignorant and insulting statement, put out today, only shows that they do not understand reality. Any attack by Iran on anything American will be met with great and overwhelming force. In some areas, overwhelming will mean obliteration. No more John Kerry & Obama!” The sanctions were the latest measure in a campaign of “maximum pressure” that US officials say is designed to force Iran to accept re-writing the 2015 nuclear deal with more restrictive terms.  Mr Trump pulled the United States out of the deal, which offered Iran sanctions relief in exchange for restrictions on its nuclear program, in May 2018.  Iran's economy has been hit hard by renewed US sanctions, but it has ruled out revisiting the 2015 agreement.  Iran has said it expects its low enriched uranium stocks to exceed the limit set by a 2015 nuclear deal by Friday because the US is no longer buying the excess.  It has also said it will incrementally relinquish other commitments under deal from July 7 unless the EU, Britain, France, and Germany  - the European signatories to the agreement – find a way to allow it to sell oil and access the revenues.     Over the past two months tensions have led to military confrontation, with the US and its allies blaming Iran for mysterious attacks on oil tankers near the Strait of Hormuz, mortar attacks on US facilities in Iraq, and missile strikes against Saudi Arabia by Yemeni Houthi rebels.  Last week Mr Trump said he ordered but then cancelled military strikes on Iran after it shot down a US surveillance drone last.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines