Tag Archives: French

Boy thrown from London's Tate Modern is French tourist visiting UK

Boy thrown from London's Tate Modern is French tourist visiting UKA six-year-old boy thrown from a tenth-floor viewing platform at London’s Tate Modern gallery is a French national who was visiting the British capital with his family, police said Monday. The boy is no longer in a life-threatening condition, according to London’s Metropolitan Police, who appealed for further witnesses to the Sunday afternoon incident to come forward. “This is being treated as an isolated event with no distinct or apparent motive,” senior investigating officer DCI John Massey said in a statement, adding there was no known link between the victim and the teen arrested.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

China may halt French police cooperation over Interpol case: source

China may halt French police cooperation over Interpol case: sourceChinese officials are threatening to stop all police cooperation with France after it gave political asylum to the wife of the former Interpol chief, a Chinese national now languishing in prison on charges of bribery, a French source close to the matter said Monday. “There hasn’t been any official request to suspend the cooperation but an informal expression of intent,” the source told AFP. French daily Le Monde reported over the weekend that the security attache at France’s embassy in Beijing had been told of the impending move.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

French submarine lost in 1968 found at last in Mediterranean

French submarine lost in 1968 found at last in MediterraneanA French submarine that went missing in the western Mediterranean in 1968 has been found, officials said Monday, ending a 51-year wait for families of the crew who continue to seek answers to the naval disaster. The diesel-electric Minerve submarine was lost off France’s southern coast with 52 sailors on board on January 27, 1968. “We found the submarine Minerve last night located 45 kilometres (30 miles) south of Toulon, about 20 kilometres further south than where it was searched for in 1968,” the French maritime prefect of the Mediterranean, Vice Admiral Charles Henri du Che, told reporters in Toulon.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Qatar says French missile found among arms seized in Italy was sold 25 years ago

Qatar says French missile found among arms seized in Italy was sold 25 years agoA French missile once owned by Qatar’s military and found among a huge arsenal of weapons seized in Italy was sold by Qatar 25 years ago to a third country, Qatar’s foreign ministry told Reuters on Tuesday. Italian police said on Monday that a French-made Matra air-to-air missile belonging to Qatar’s armed forces was discovered during raids on neo-Nazi sympathizers. In a statement to Reuters, Qatar said the missile was part of a larger weapons sale made to a third “friendly” country 25 years earlier, though it did not identify the third country.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

French President Emmanuel Macron announces creation of French space force

French President Emmanuel Macron announces creation of French space forceOn the eve of Bastille Day celebrations, Emmanuel Macron announced the creation of a French space force command within the French air force.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

A Saudi princess, a bodyguard and a workman: French trial to open

A Saudi princess, a bodyguard and a workman: French trial to openThe king of Saudi Arabia’s daughter is a “caring, humble” person who is the victim of false allegations that she ordered a bodyguard to beat up a workman in her luxury flat in Paris, the princess’ lawyer said. Princess Hassa bint Salman is due to go on trial in absentia on Tuesday on charges of complicity to violence with a weapon and complicity to kidnap an Egyptian-born artisan who was carrying out repairs at her father’s residence on the exclusive Avenue Foch in September 2016. According to the indictment, seen by Reuters, workman Ashraf Eid told police the bodyguard bound his hands, punched and kicked him and forced him to kiss the princess’ feet after she accused him of filming her on his cell phone.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

A Saudi princess, a bodyguard and a workman: French trial to open

A Saudi princess, a bodyguard and a workman: French trial to openThe king of Saudi Arabia’s daughter is a “caring, humble” person who is the victim of false allegations that she ordered a bodyguard to beat up a workman in her luxury flat in Paris, the princess’ lawyer said. Princess Hassa bint Salman is due to go on trial in absentia on Tuesday on charges of complicity to violence with a weapon and complicity to kidnap an Egyptian-born artisan who was carrying out repairs at her father’s residence on the exclusive Avenue Foch in September 2016. According to the indictment, seen by Reuters, workman Ashraf Eid told police the bodyguard bound his hands, punched and kicked him and forced him to kiss the princess’ feet after she accused him of filming her on his cell phone.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

French lawmakers vote to target online hate speech in draft bill

French lawmakers vote to target online hate speech in draft billSocial media giants such as Facebook and Twitter would be required to remove any hateful content within 24 hours under a draft bill approved by France’s National Assembly on Friday. President Emmanuel Macron wants to make France a leader in regulating U.S. tech giants and containing the spread of illicit content and false information on the most-used platforms.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Outrage after some French protesters urge police suicides

Outrage after some French protesters urge police suicidesPARIS (AP) — With French police suicides on the rise, Paris authorities are investigating yellow vest protesters who encouraged police to kill themselves.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

French interior minister warns of yellow-vest riots on Saturday

French interior minister warns of yellow-vest riots on SaturdayThe French interior minister warned on Friday that violence could flare up on the 23rd Saturday of yellow-vest protests, as authorities banned marches around the fire-gutted Notre-Dame cathedral. The warning comes after weeks of relative calm, with the marches attracting declining numbers as yellow-vest protesters waited for President Emmanuel Macron’s expected response to their various demands which include lower taxes and more government services. Christophe Castaner, the interior minister, said domestic intelligence services had informed him of a potential return of rioters intent on wreaking havoc in Paris, Toulouse, Montpellier and Bordeaux, in a repeat of violent protests on March 16.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines