Tag Archives: face

Fox Must Face Suit by Seth Rich’s Parents Over Stories on His Death

Fox Must Face Suit by Seth Rich’s Parents Over Stories on His Death(Bloomberg) — Fox News must face a lawsuit by the parents of a Democratic Party staffer whose unsolved 2016 murder touched off a flurry of right-wing conspiracy theories, a federal appeals court ruled.The parents of Seth Rich sued Fox News over “sham” stories that ran in May 2017 claiming their son had leaked Democratic National Committee emails in the run-up to the 2016 election. The stories, which Fox later retracted, cited unidentified law-enforcement sources. A lower-court judge in Manhattan dismissed the case last year.On Friday, the Manhattan-based appeals court revived the lawsuit, saying Joel and Mary Rich had adequately alleged that they suffered from “what amounted to a campaign of emotional torture.” The purpose of the stories, according to the Riches, was to take the heat off the Trump administration as investigators probed whether Russian-backed hackers had leaked the emails to advance Donald Trump’s presidential candidacy.“We would not wish what we have experienced upon any other parent — anywhere,” the Riches said in a statement. “We appreciate the appellate court’s ruling and look forward to continuing to pursue justice.”As of last year, Washington, D.C., police hadn’t identified any suspects in what they say was a botched robbery, but the killing led to politically charged speculation in conservative news media that it was Rich who provided the hacked emails to WikiLeaks and that he was killed to silence him.“This decision now clears the way for a thorough investigation into the facts,” Lenny Gail, an attorney for the Rich family, said in a statement. “We will now obtain documents from Fox News and other parties and take testimony under oath from those involved.”The appeals court found that the Riches’ claims about what the stories’ authors knew of the murder and the couple’s “susceptibility to emotional distress” were sufficient for the suit to go forward. The fact that they proceeded “in the face of this knowledge makes the authors’ conduct plausibly extreme and outrageous,” the court said.“The court’s ruling today permits Mr. and Mrs. Rich to proceed with discovery to determine whether there is a factual basis for their claims against Fox News,” the network said in a statement. “And while we extend the Rich family our deepest condolences for their loss, we believe that discovery will demonstrate that Fox News did not engage in conduct that will support the Riches’ claims. We will be evaluating our next legal steps.”The lower-court case is Rich v. Fox News Network LLC, 18-cv-2223, U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York (Manhattan). The appeals-court case is Rich v. Fox News Network LLC, 18-2321, U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit.(Updates with statement from parents)To contact the reporter on this story: Chris Dolmetsch in Federal Court in Manhattan at cdolmetsch@bloomberg.netTo contact the editors responsible for this story: David Glovin at dglovin@bloomberg.net, Joe SchneiderFor more articles like this, please visit us at bloomberg.com©2019 Bloomberg L.P.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Haitians in hurricane-devastated Bahamas face uncertain future

Haitians in hurricane-devastated Bahamas face uncertain futureEven before Hurricane Dorian destroyed their shantytown on Abaco Island, life was not easy for the Haitian immigrant community in the Bahamas. “I need help,” said Blondel Vincent, a Haitian with Bahamian nationality. Vincent, 41, a carpenter, lost his home in the storm and is staying with his wife and children in a Baptist church in a Haitian-majority neighborhood in Nassau.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

2020 Democrats Will Face Off on One Stage for the First Time This Week. Here's Everything to Know About the September Debate

2020 Democrats Will Face Off on One Stage for the First Time This Week. Here's Everything to Know About the September DebateOnly 10 candidates will face off in the third 2020 Democratic Debate, all on the same night



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Rare 3.8-million-year-old skull reveals the face of Lucy’s ancestor, gives insight into early man

Rare 3.8-million-year-old skull reveals the face of Lucy’s ancestor, gives insight into early manA 3.8 million year old skull from Africa is giving researchers a peek into humanity's evolutionary history, a new study suggests.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Sri Lankan Islamic clerics seek clarity on face veil ban

Sri Lankan Islamic clerics seek clarity on face veil banIslamic clerics in Sri Lanka asked Muslim women on Tuesday to continue to avoid wearing face veils until the government clarifies whether they are once again allowed now that emergency rule has ended four months after a string of suicide bomb attacks. Clerics are wary of the Muslim community being targeted again for violence, as it was in the aftermath of April’s Easter Sunday attacks that killed more than 260 people, said Fazil Farook, spokesman for All Ceylon Jammiyyathul Ulama, Sri Lanka’s largest group of Islamic clerics.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

2 more El Salvador ex-officers to face trial in '81 massacre

2 more El Salvador ex-officers to face trial in '81 massacreTwo ex-military officers were notified Thursday that they will join more than a dozen others in being prosecuted for the 1981 El Mozote massacre, a particularly infamous moment from El Salvador’s nation’s civil war. A judge in San Francisco Gotera, about 100 miles (170 kilometers) east of the capital, summoned former Cols. Roberto Antonio Garay and José Antonio Rodríguez to inform them they will be tried on the charges of torture, forced disappearance and forced displacement.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Tourists who stole sand from beach in Sardinia could face up to six years in prison

Tourists who stole sand from beach in Sardinia could face up to six years in prisonA pair of tourists face up to six years in prison after allegedly stealing a large quantity of sand from the pristine beaches of Sardinia. The French couple were found to have nearly 40kg (90lb) of fine white sand in the boot of their car. The vehicle was stopped during a routine check by border police as the tourists were preparing to board a ferry in Porto Torres, on the north coast of the island, bound for Toulon in France. The sand was found in 14 large plastic bottles and had been taken from a beach near Chia in southern Sardinia. The couple told police that they had no idea they were breaking the law, but they now face between one and six years in jail. The island has battled for years to stop tourists from pinching its sand, shells and pebbles, which are prized as souvenirs or in some cases, for indoor aquariums. WWF has run a campaign against 'beach thieves', reminding tourists that taking sand from Sardinia's shoreline is a crime To try to stop the pillaging, some locals have taken on the role of self-appointed guardians of the beaches. If they see tourists taking sand or shells, they ask them to return the material. If that does not work, they call the police or national park rangers. One of them, Pina Careddu, told an Italian newspaper on Monday that visitors sometimes become rude and aggressive when challenged. “A family of Germans were filling up some bottles with sand. I recorded them on my phone so they couldn’t deny it. The father came towards me in a threatening manner. But in the end he tipped the sand back onto the beach,” Mrs Careddu, 58, told Corriere della Sera. Dubbed “the granny sheriff” of the Sinis peninsula, on the west coast of the island, she is strict even with her grandchildren. “They say, ‘Nana, can’t we take some pebbles home to play with?’ And I say no, if everyone did that, soon there would be no beach left.”



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Hong Kong protesters face crucial weekend test after airport setback

Hong Kong protesters face crucial weekend test after airport setbackHong Kong’s pro-democracy movement faces a major test this weekend as it tries to muster another huge crowd following criticism over a recent violent airport protest and as concerns mount over Beijing’s next move. Chinese state media have put out images of military personnel and armoured personnel carriers across the border in Shenzhen, while the United States has warned Beijing against sending in troops, a move many analysts say would be a reputational and economic disaster for China. The nationalistic Global Times newspaper said there would not be a repeat of the Tiananmen Square crackdown, in which hundreds — or even thousands — are believed to have been killed, if Beijing moves to quash the protests.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

As China faces fate on Hong Kong, America and other democracies face a choice

As China faces fate on Hong Kong, America and other democracies face a choiceDonald Trump tweets as Xi Jinping lines up his military tanks and Hong Kong protesters wave American flags and sing the U.S. national anthem: Our view



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Ghislaine Maxwell: Jeffrey Epstein’s estate, staffers and confidante face new lawsuit

Ghislaine Maxwell: Jeffrey Epstein’s estate, staffers and confidante face new lawsuitAn alleged victim of accused child sex trafficker Jeffrey Epstein is suing his longtime associate Ghislaine Maxwell, as well as his estate and members of his staff after the disgraced financier died in an apparent suicide on Saturday.Jennifer Araoz, who has said she was repeatedly sexually assaulted by Epstein between the ages of 14 and 15, has filed a lawsuit against Ms Maxwell, along with three unnamed female household staff members and the multi-millionaire’s estate.Ms Maxwell and the staff members ”conspired with each other to make possible and otherwise facilitate the sexual abuse and rape” Ms Araoz said she experienced at Epstein’s $ 77m (£63.7) New York City mansion, she claims.The lawsuit, which initially named Epstein, was amended to name his estate as a defendant after he was found unresponsive in his jail cell at the Metropolitan Correctional Centre in New York and subsequently pronounced dead. Ms Maxwell, the daughter of the late British media tycoon Robert Maxwell, has denied the allegations and did not face any charges in a controversial plea agreement Epstein made with prosecutors in 2007. Epstein was allowed to serve just 13 months in a county jail that provided a daytime work release after he pleaded guilty to prostitution felonies in 2008. He was also forced to register as a sex offender.Prosecutors have had difficulty locating Ms Maxwell, the Washington Post reported, who has often been described as one of Epstein’s closest confidants. His accusers say she was involved in all aspects of Epstein’s alleged trafficking, from arranging for girls to meet with him and members of his elite inner circle, to participating in the sexual abuse they allegedly suffered.Ms Araoz was reportedly interviewed by FBI and other federal officials about her allegations against Epstein after he was indicted in July. Several other women accusing Epstein of child sex trafficking and sexual assault have also named Ms Maxwell as his alleged co-conspirator. The lawsuit was made possible due to new legislation in New York called the Child Victims Act, which went into effect the same day Ms Araoz filed her suit.The new law allows any alleged child sexual abuse victims living in the state to file civil lawsuits over the next 12 months — no matter when the abuse took place. Epstein's accusers have expressed frustration after his death in federal custody, with attorney general William Barr describing "serious irregularities" at the correctional centre where he was held. The guards assigned to watch him, who have since been placed on administrative leave, have been accused of falling asleep and falsifying records indicating they completed checks on his cell near the time of his apparent suicide.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines