Tag Archives: Ebola

Ebola treatment center in Congo reopens after attack

Ebola treatment center in Congo reopens after attackAn Ebola treatment center located at the epicenter of the current outbreak in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo has resumed operations after it was attacked last month, the country’s health ministry said on Saturday. The center run by Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) in the district of Katwa was set on fire on Feb. 24 by unknown attackers, forcing staff to evacuate patients. “For now it is managed by the ministry in collaboration with the World Health Organisation (WHO) and UNICEF,” it said, referring to the United Nations children’s fund.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

U.S. medic quarantined in Nebraska for possible Ebola exposure

U.S. medic quarantined in Nebraska for possible Ebola exposureA U.S. healthcare worker who may have been exposed to the Ebola virus while treating patients in the Democratic Republic of Congo arrived in the United States on Saturday and was put in quarantine in Nebraska. The medic, who is not exhibiting symptoms of Ebola, will remain under observation for up to two weeks at the University of Nebraska Medical Center (UNMC) in Omaha, Nebraska Medicine said in a statement.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Unlicenced Ebola meds could soon be used in DR Congo: WHO

Unlicenced Ebola meds could soon be used in DR Congo: WHOThe World Health Organization said Tuesday it was awaiting formal approval from the Democratic Republic of Congo to send in unlicenced Ebola medication to help rein in an outbreak of the deadly virus. A “major innovation in this outbreak is the potential for use of therapeutic regimens,” Peter Salama, WHO’s head of emergency response, told reporters in Geneva Tuesday. Because of this, they can only be used under the protocols used for research and clinical trials, which also requires ethical reviews and informed consent from each recipient, he said.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Almost all in Congo city at immediate risk of Ebola now vaccinated -WHO

Almost all in Congo city at immediate risk of Ebola now vaccinated -WHOBy Tom Miles GENEVA (Reuters) – The World Health Organization said on Tuesday almost all the people it considers at immediate risk from an Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo city of Mbandaka have now been vaccinated against the disease. More than 400 potential Ebola contacts have been vaccinated, which represents 90 percent of those considered at risk, said Peter Salama, WHO Deputy Director-General for Emergency Preparedness and Response. “We can’t conclude that we’ve safeguarded the city of Mbandaka but we can say that so far there has not been an explosive increase in cases.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

WHO "cautiously optimistic" about Ebola outbreak after vaccinations

WHO "cautiously optimistic" about Ebola outbreak after vaccinationsThe World Health Organization is cautiously optimistic about the progress of the Ebola response in Democratic Republic of Congo after 90 percent of people at risk in the city of Mbandaka were vaccinated, a senior WHO official said on Tuesday. Peter Salama, WHO Deputy Director-General for Emergency Preparedness and Response, said more than 400 potential Ebola contacts had been vaccinated. Although he could not say for certain the city had been safeguarded, he was cautiously optimistic, and there had been no explosive increase in cases.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Ebola vaccinations begin in Congo's northwest town of Bikoro

Ebola vaccinations begin in Congo's northwest town of BikoroKINSHASA, Congo (AP) — Officials began vaccinating health workers and others on Monday in Bikoro, where Congo's current Ebola outbreak was first declared at the beginning of May.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Trump is silent on the flu. Ebola? That was Obama's fault.

Trump is silent on the flu. Ebola? That was Obama's fault.Donald Trump blamed the Ebola outbreak in 2014 on then-President Obama. But he has been silent on this year's flu, which has been far more deadly to Americans.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

College students still largely misinformed about Ebola

(This August 7 story has been refiled to add missing word ‘reached’ in first paragraph) By Kathryn Doyle (Reuters Health) – Months after the Ebola virus outbreak of 2014 had briefly reached the U.S., American college students still understood little about the disease and how it spreads, a 2015 survey suggests. “I was particularly surprised that almost a third thought you could get Ebola from mosquitoes, but this belief has also been echoed in the HIV literature,” said Brandon Brown of the University of California Riverside School of Medicine, who coauthored a report about the survey in the American Journal of Infection Control. Most students got less than half of the survey questions correct, Brown told Reuters Health by email.
Sexual Health News Headlines – Yahoo! News

College students still largely misinformed about Ebola

By Kathryn Doyle (Reuters Health) – Months after the Ebola virus outbreak of 2014 had briefly the U.S., American college students still understood little about the disease and how it spreads, a 2015 survey suggests. “I was particularly surprised that almost a third thought you could get Ebola from mosquitoes, but this belief has also been echoed in the HIV literature,” said Brandon Brown of the University of California Riverside School of Medicine, who coauthored a report about the survey in the American Journal of Infection Control. Most students got less than half of the survey questions correct, Brown told Reuters Health by email.
Sexual Health News Headlines – Yahoo! News

Ebola virus found in semen six months after recovery: WHO

The deadliest outbreak of Ebola in history began in late 2013 and has killed more than 10,600 people, mainly in Liberia, Sierra Leone and GuineaTraces of Ebola have been found in the semen of a man six months after his recovery, the World Health Organization said Wednesday, urging survivors to practice safe sex "until further notice". The man had been declared free of the deadly virus in Liberia last September, WHO spokesman Tarik Jasarevic told AFP. The new finding has led WHO to recommend that survivors abstain from having sex or that they practice safe sex using a condom beyond the three-month period previously prescribed. "Ebola survivors should consider correct and consistent use of condoms for all sexual acts beyond three months until more information is available," it says on its website.



Sexual Health News Headlines – Yahoo! News