Tag Archives: Dutch

Dutch ban on burqas in public places takes effect

Dutch ban on burqas in public places takes effectThe Netherlands banned the wearing of a face-covering veil, such as a burqa or niqab, in public buildings and on transport from Thursday as a contentious law on the garment worn by some Muslim women came into force. Far-right politician Geert Wilders had proposed the face-covering veil ban back in 2005. “I believe we should now try to take it to the next step,” Wilders wrote in a tweet on Thursday, urging that the simple headscarf should be banned as well.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Dutch investigators to charge four suspects with murder over downing of MH17

Dutch investigators to charge four suspects with murder over downing of MH17Four men with links to the Russian military have been charged with murdering nearly 300 people on board an airliner shot down over Ukraine. Dutch investigators issued international arrest warrants for Russians Igor "Strelkov" Girkin, Oleg Pulatov, and Sergic Dubinsky, and Ukrainian Leonid Kharchenko. The men are accused of procuring and organising the deployment of the Russian missile launcher that shot down flight MH17 in 2014. Announcing the charges on Wednesday, Fred Westerbeke, the Netherlands’ chief prosecutor, condemned the Kremlin for trying to obstruct the investigation. "We have the proof that the Russian Federation was involved in this tragedy one way or another," he said. "Russia has not provided any information…and that is a slap in the face of all of the relatives of the bereaved," he said. Former FSB officer Igor "Strelkov" Girkin was the top separatist commander when MH17 was shot down Credit:  MAXIM ZMEYEV/REUTERS All 298 people on board flight MH17 from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur were killed when it was blown out of the sky by a Russian-made Buk missile on July 17, 2014. About two thirds of the victims were Dutch. Ten Britons were also killed. It was the bloodiest single day in the war between Ukrainian troops and Russia-backed separatist forces which has killed more than 10,000 people over the past five years. An image showing the Russian Buk missile launcher that shot down MH17 moving through separatist held territory before the incident.  Credit: Universal News & Sport (Europe) Russia has always denied involvement. But Australia and the Netherlands said last year that they hold Russia legally responsible for the shootdown and have said they will seek reparations. The Dutch-led joint investigation team, which also includes Australian, Malaysian, Belgian and Ukrainian investigators, said the men named on Wednesday were instrumental in bringing the Buk 9M38  missile involved into Ukraine from Russia. All were senior members of the self-proclaimed Donetsk People's Republic (DNR), a separatist movement largely funded and directed from Moscow. Mr Girkin, a former officer in Russia’s Federal Security Service, was the DNR’s “minister of defence” and top military commander at the time. Investigators painstakingly reconstructed the nose of MH17 to analyse the missile damage Credit: Dutch Safety Board Mr Dubinsky, Mr Pulatov, and Mr Kharchenko ran the DNR's military intelligence service, which is believed to have controlled and escorted the Russian BUK missile launcher on the day of the downing. Investigators say Mr Pulatov and Mr Dubinsky are serving or former members of Russia's GRU military intelligence agency. Mr Westerbeke said he was “realistic” about the prospects of bringing the suspects, who currently reside in Russia and separatist-held parts of Ukraine, to trial. But he added that investigations into the chain of command would continue, and that detectives are anxious to speak to soldiers from the 3rd battalion of Russia’s 53rd air defence brigade, which they believe provided the weapon and the crew. A separatist fighter stands on wreckage of the airliner near the village of Grabovo in July 2014 Credit: MAXIM ZMEYEV/Reuters He declined to say how far up the Russian chain of command the investigation could lead. But part of the evidence presented on Wednesday was an intercepted telephone conversation in which Alexander Borodai, DNR’s “prime minister,” asks Vladislav Surkov, an influential advisor to Vladimir Putin, for military reinforcements. Silene Fredriksz, whose son and daughter-in-law were killed in the disaster, said she was “satisfied” with the announcement. "There is a court case on March 9 2020 against four people for murder," she told reporters after family members were briefed on the charges. "I am happy that the trial is finally going to start and that the names have been announced. It's a start.” The Kremlin said it had no reason to trust the investigation and that its position on the incident has not changed. "Russia was unable to take part in the investigation despite expressing an interest right from the start and trying to join it,” said Dmitry Peskov, a spokesman for Vladimir Putin. The Russian foreign ministry called the findings "absolutely unfounded accusations aimed at discrediting the Russian Federation in the eyes of the international community." Mr Girkin, who has fallen out of favour with the Kremlin since 2014, said in a statement: "I can only say that militia did not shoot down the Boeing." The man who answered a phone number previously listed for Sergei Dubinsky said he did not know him. Emails to addresses linked to Mr Dubinsky and Mr Pulatov did not immediately receive a response. Jeremy Hunt, the Foreign Secretary, said:  “The Russian Federation must now cooperate fully with the prosecution and provide any assistance it requests in accordance with UN Security Council resolution 2166. “The charges brought against these individuals today show that the international community stands together against the impunity of those responsible for the despicable murder of 298 innocent people.”



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Dutch PM says UK 'doesn't answer' Brexit delay questions

Dutch PM says UK 'doesn't answer' Brexit delay questionsBritish Prime Minister Theresa May’s request to delay Brexit until June 30 “doesn’t answer” the EU’s key questions about London’s plans, Dutch premier Mark Rutte said on Friday. Rutte said May’s letter seeking the extension “raises many questions” and there will have to be “intense discussions” ahead of a crucial summit of European leaders next Wednesday that will decide on the issue. “The plan was that the British would explain what they wanted from the EU,” Rutte told a weekly press conference.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

'Terrorist' or 'psychopath'? Complex picture of Dutch attack suspect

'Terrorist' or 'psychopath'? Complex picture of Dutch attack suspectThe prime suspect in a deadly shooting on a tram in the Dutch city of Utrecht was known for a “rap sheet from here to Tokyo” but showed few signs of radicalism, according to residents and reports. Turkish-born Gokmen Tanis, 37, had been released from jail only two weeks ago in a rape case and has an extensive criminal record including for the possession of illegal weapons. Police were still questioning Tanis over Monday’s rampage in which three people were killed, saying they were “seriously” investigating a terrorist motive because of a letter found in his getaway car.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

'Terrorist' or 'psychopath'? Complex picture of Dutch attack suspect

'Terrorist' or 'psychopath'? Complex picture of Dutch attack suspectThe prime suspect in a deadly shooting on a tram in the Dutch city of Utrecht was known for a “rap sheet from here to Tokyo” but showed few signs of radicalism, according to residents and reports. Turkish-born Gokmen Tanis, 37, had been released from jail only two weeks ago in a rape case and has an extensive criminal record including for the possession of illegal weapons. Police were still questioning Tanis over Monday’s rampage in which three people were killed, saying they were “seriously” investigating a terrorist motive because of a letter found in his getaway car.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Dutch police arrest Turkish man suspected of killing three in tram shooting

Dutch police arrest Turkish man suspected of killing three in tram shootingPolice said the suspect, 37-year-old Gokmen Tanis, had been taken into custody after an hours-long manhunt and had earlier run-ins with authorities in the Netherlands. The city was put into lockdown after the shooting, shortly after the morning rush hour, which authorities initially said was an apparent terrorist attack. The Turkish intelligence agency said it is investigating whether the attack was personally motivated or an act of terrorism, President Tayyip Erdogan said.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

3 Killed And Several Injured in Shooting in Dutch City of Utrecht, Police Say

3 Killed And Several Injured in Shooting in Dutch City of Utrecht, Police SayDays after a mass shooting in New Zealand



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

'We assume a terror motive': 3 killed on tram in Dutch city of Utrecht; suspect arrested

'We assume a terror motive': 3 killed on tram in Dutch city of Utrecht; suspect arrestedThree people died in a brazen shooting on a tram in a bustling residential neighborhood in the Dutch city of Utrecht on Monday.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Dutch police arrest suspect after three shot dead on tram

Dutch police arrest suspect after three shot dead on tramDutch police on Monday arrested a Turkish-born suspect over a shooting on a tram in Utrecht that left three people dead in what officials said was a possible terror attack. Police had earlier launched a huge manhunt for Gokmen Tanis, 37, issuing a picture of the suspected gunman and warning the public not to approach him following the attack, in which five other people were wounded. Mosques and schools were closed across the Netherlands’ fourth-largest city following the bloodshed, before heavily armed officers surrounded a building and arrested him.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Venezuela shuts sea, air links to Dutch islands amid turmoil

Venezuela shuts sea, air links to Dutch islands amid turmoilCARACAS, Venezuela (AP) — Venezuelan officials said Tuesday that the country is banning air and sea trips to and from three Dutch Caribbean islands — a region that has been linked to efforts to undermine President Nicolas Maduro by sending emergency aid to the South American nation.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines