Tag Archives: Dozens

Dozens remain unaccounted for in Florida following Hurricane Michael's devastation

Dozens remain unaccounted for in Florida following Hurricane Michael's devastationNearly a week after Hurricane Michael left parts of the Florida Panhandle in ruins, emergency officials rushed to deliver aid and clear debris as the search continued for survivors.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Typhoon Mangkhut Death Toll Mounts As Dozens Of Bodies Pulled From Landslide

Typhoon Mangkhut Death Toll Mounts As Dozens Of Bodies Pulled From LandslideTwo days after Typhoon Mangkhut slammed into the remote Philippine town of



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Dozens buried in Philippines landslide triggered by Typhoon Mangkhut

Dozens buried in Philippines landslide triggered by Typhoon MangkhutHundreds of rescuers in the Philippines dug frantically with shovels and their bare hands on Monday in an attempt to save the lives of dozens of people buried by a landslide triggered at the weekend by Typhoon Mangkhut, the world’s strongest storm of the year.  But despite their best efforts, weary aid workers were only able to pull dead bodies from the mud and debris that had engulfed a church and miners’ bunkhouse where people had been sheltering from the fierce rain and winds topping 150 miles per hour in the early hours of Saturday morning. Grief-stricken relatives, many of them quietly praying, waited anxiously near the disaster site.  Victorio Palangdan, Itogon’s mayor, warned that the chances of finding any survivors were slim, raising the prospect that the previously confirmed Philippine death toll of 65 from the typhoon could significantly rise.  Mr Palangdan told a news conference that of the 40 to 50 people thought buried, there’s a “99 per cent (chance) that they are really dead.” Itogon, #Philippines. With no chance of getting heavy equipment into the valley, rescue workers are using shovels and their hands to move rock and debris from the landslides. But there is so much of it. One official figures it will take a week. @NBCNewspic.twitter.com/4tX1LjXNKx— Janis Mackey Frayer (@janisfrayer) September 17, 2018 He revealed that dozens of residents had refused to heed police warnings to leave the area. “They laughed at our policemen. They insisted,” he said, according to the AP. “They were resisting when our police tried to pull them away. What can we do?”  Most of the buried are believed to be poor miners and their families, who were working illegally at the mine site.  Foreign aid has begun to pour into the Philippines, which will face months of recovery after farms across the island of Luzon, which produces much of the nation's rice and corn, were submerged in muddy floodwater just a month before harvest. Francis Tolentino, a senior adviser to President Rodrigo Duterte, estimated that nationwide 5.7 million people had been affected by the storm. Many high rise buildings in Hong Kong had their windows blown out  Credit: Anthony Wallace/AFP Hong Kong on Monday also began to clear up  “severe and extensive” damage from Mangkhut after it struck the high-rise city on Sunday, leaving 300 injured. Roads remained blocked by felled trees and debris and some areas remained severely flooded. Windows in swaying tower blocks had been smashed by gusts of more than 142mph.  After tearing through Luzon and pummelling Hong Kong and Macau, the storm hit China’s Guangdong province, killing four people, three of whom were struck by trees. More than 3 million people were evacuated.  But by Monday afternoon, the terrifying storm had been downgraded to a tropical depression at it moved into Guangxi province on a path to the mountainous Yunnan province, where it was expected to weaken further as it approached Vietnam, Laos and Burma. No further deaths or damage were reported.   



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

'You Can't Even See the Sky.' Series of Explosions Sets Dozens of Homes Ablaze Near Boston

'You Can't Even See the Sky.' Series of Explosions Sets Dozens of Homes Ablaze Near BostonPolice believe the explosions are coming from a problematic gas line



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

One killed and several injured as dozens of gas blasts destroy homes in Massachusetts

One killed and several injured as dozens of gas blasts destroy homes in MassachusettsA series of gas explosions killed a teenager, injured at least 10 other people and ignited fires in at least 39 homes in three communities near Boston on Thursday, forcing entire neighbourhoods to evacuate as crews scrambled to fight the flames and shut off the gas. Authorities named the dead teenager as Leonel Rondon, 18, of Lawrence, died after a chimney toppled by an exploding house crashed into his car.  Live TV images showed firefighters battling blazes in Lawrence, Andover and North Andover, about 25 miles (40 km) north of the US city. The streets were darkened where authorities had cut off electricity and were shutting down gas service in an effort to stop further blazes. "It looked like Armageddon, it really did," said Michael Mansfield, Andover fire chief. "There were billows of smoke coming from Lawrence behind me. I could see pillars of smoke in front of me from the town of Andover." Flames consume a home in Lawrence, Massachusetts, a suburb of Boston Credit: WCVB Firefighters battle another house on fire, on Herrick Road in North Andover Credit: Mary Schwalm At least three people, including one firefighter, were hurt in Andover, the town said in a statement. Six people were being treated at Lawrence General Hospital, said spokeswoman Jill McDonald Halsey. It was not immediately clear if any of those being treated at that hospital were from Andover. Massachusetts State Police said a total of 70 fires, explosions or investigations of gas odor had been reported. Authorities said nothing to indicate any foul play was suspected. The first explosion was triggered by an overpressurised gas line, Boston's WBZ News reported. Emergency crews respond to a series of gas explosions that have damaged homes across three communities north of Boston Credit:  WCVB North Andover resident Laurie Williams, 55, said she drove home from work to find police and fire vehicles blocking streets near her home, and learned three buildings nearby were on fire. "It was very scary," Williams said, with smoke visible on the skyline. "My first thought was this is a gas explosion." The Columbia Gas company, a unit of NiSource Inc, had said earlier on Thursday that it would be upgrading gas lines in neighborhoods across the state, including the area where the explosions occurred, but it was not immediately clear whether any work was being done in those communities. MSP Fusion Center has current updated tally of responses to fires/explosions/investigations of gas odor at 70. Spread over wide swath of south #Lawrence and northern part of #NorthAndover with several others across Merrimack River in north Lawrence. pic.twitter.com/a7kBYaWFrJ— Mass State Police (@MassStatePolice) September 13, 2018 "Columbia Gas is investigating what happened on its system today," said Ken Stammen, a spokesman for NiSource. The US Department of Transportation's Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) said it was dispatching a team to support the state's emergency response efforts, an agency spokesperson said on Thursday. Local media outlets' Twitter feeds were filled with images of homes in flames or collapsed. Fire trucks race to fight dozens of fires Credit: AP "We are asking everybody with gas in their homes to leave their homes until further notice," North Andover town manager Andrew Maylor told one local television station. Dan Rivera, mayor of Lawrence, told WBZ: "What we know is that there are have been multiple explosions, multiple fires that are happening across the city." He said residents detecting strange odors should leave their homes. State police urged residents served by Columbia Gas to evacuate their homes, saying the utility was cutting pressure to its lines and that it would take "some time" to shut off all service. 



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Japan earthquake: Eight dead and dozens missing in landslides as lights go out on Hokkaido

Japan earthquake: Eight dead and dozens missing in landslides as lights go out on HokkaidoAt least eight people were killed and 32 were missing, Japanese media reported, after a powerful earthquake paralysed the northern island of Hokkaido on Thursday, triggering landslides and knocking out power to its 5.3 million residents. Aerial footage showed dozens of landslides exposing barren hillsides near the town of Atsuma in southern Hokkaido, with mounds of reddish earth and fallen trees piled up at the edge of green fields. The collapsed remains of what appeared to be houses or barns were scattered about. Houses were buried by multiple landslides after a powerful earthquake in Atsuma, Hokkaido Credit: Getty Six of the deaths were in the village of Atsuma, National broadcaster NHK reported. With swathes of the country further south recovering from Typhoon Jebi, Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said that 25,000 troops and other personnel were being dispatched to the area to help with rescue operations. NHK showed the moment the quake struck the city of Muroran, with its camera violently shaking and all city lights going black moments later. In Sapporo, a mudslide on a road left several cars half buried. Akira Fukui, from the main city of Sapporo, told AFP: "I woke up around 3am with a vertical jolt. I put the light on but it went out shortly afterwards. All the traffic lights are out and there's no power at work." A strong earthquake rocked Japan's northern island of Hokkaido shortly after 3 AM on Thursday. Police are checking on the extent of the damage. NHK WORLD-JAPAN is LIVE streaming the Hokkaido earthquake updates. t.co/QbGNxwoMjtpic.twitter.com/AX72kCYbEO— NHK WORLD News (@NHKWORLD_News) September 5, 2018 Another Sapporo resident told NHK: "I was scared… I felt the tremor, which lasted for about 30 seconds. I was on the sixth floor, it was really scary." The entire island was without power after Hokkaido Electric Power Co said it conducted an emergency shutdown of all its fossil fuel-fired power plants following the quake. The utility said it wasn't clear when electricity would be restored to 2.95 million households. The trade and industry ministry told the utility to restart the coal-fired Tomato-Atsuma power plant within a few hours, Trade Minister Hiroshige Seko said. All trains across the island were also halted. Residents watch a road damaged by an earthquake in Sapporo, Hokkaido, northern Japan Credit: AP Roof tiles and water could be seen on the floor at Hokkaido's main airport, New Chitose Airport, which would be closed for at least Thursday. New Chitose is a major tourist gateway to the island, known for its mountains, lakes and abundant farmland and seafood, and more than 200 flights and 40,000 passengers would be affected, Kyodo News Agency said. The closure comes just a couple days after Kansai Airport, an important hub near Osaka, in western Japan, was shut after it was hit by Typhoon Jebi. Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said officials hoped to reopen Kansai Airport for domestic flights on Friday. The quake, which hit at 3.08am, posed no tsunami risk, the Japan Meteorological Agency said. The US Geological Survey said it struck some 42 miles southeast of Sapporo, Hokkaido's main city. It registered a strong 6 on Japan's 7-point earthquake scale. Mr Abe arrived at his office before 6 am and told reporters his government had set up a command centre to co-ordinate relief and rescue. Sounding haggard, Mr Abe said saving lives was his government's top priority. A house damaged by a landslide caused by an earthquake is seen in Atsuma town in Hokkaido prefecture Credit: AFP The Tomari Nuclear Power Station, which has been shut since a 2011 earthquake and tsunami, suffered a power outage but was cooling its fuel rods safely with emergency power, said Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga. Operator Hokkaido Electric reported no radiation irregularities at the plant, Suga told a news conference. Farming and tourism are two of the island's biggest economic drivers, but there is some industry. Kirin Beer and Sapporo Beer both said factories were shut by the power outage, although they said no structural damage was found. A fire broke out at a Mitsubishi Steel Mfg Co plant in the city of Muroran after the quake but was mostly extinguished with no injuries, a company official said. A series of smaller shocks, including one with a magnitude of 5.4, followed the initial quake, Japan's Meteorological Agency said. Agency official Toshiyuki Matsumori warned residents to take precautions for potential major aftershocks in coming days. "Large quakes often occur, especially within two to three days (of a big one)," said Toshiyuki Matsumori, in charge of monitoring earthquakes and tsunamis at the meteorological agency. He added the risk of housing collapses and landslides had increased in the area hit by the quake, saying: "We urge residents to pay full attention to seismic activity and rainfall and not to go into dangerous areas." The 2011 earthquake and tsunami in northern Japan destroyed both external and backup power to the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant, causing meltdowns. The earthquake also affected telephone service and television broadcasting in Sapporo. 



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Why This Woman Organized Mass Tinder Date With Dozens of Men

Why This Woman Organized Mass Tinder Date With Dozens of MenIt was all a stunt.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Police Video Shows a Daring Mission to Save Dozens of Shelter Animals From Wildfires

Police Video Shows a Daring Mission to Save Dozens of Shelter Animals From WildfiresCalifornia cops saved 60 cats and dogs



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Five killed, dozens shot in Chicago 'violent night'

Five killed, dozens shot in Chicago 'violent night'Chicago Police chief of patrol Fred Waller told a press conference Sunday afternoon some of the shootings were “targeted” and related to gang conflicts. “The city of Chicago experienced a violent night. Incidents of either random or targeted shooting on our streets is totally unacceptable,” he said.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Indonesia quake kills at least 37, injures dozens: official 

Indonesia quake kills at least 37, injures dozens: official A major earthquake on the Indonesian holiday island of Lombok killed at least 37 people and injured dozens, officials said Sunday, damaging homes and triggering panic among tourists and locals. The powerful quake was also felt on the neighbouring island of Bali, one of Indonesia’s most popular attractions, where people ran onto the streets in terror. The shallow seven-magnitude tremor struck just 10 kilometres (six miles) underground, according to the US Geological Survey, followed by further secondary quakes and nearly two dozen aftershocks.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines