Tag Archives: crash

Santa Ana: At least 4 killed in suspected DUI crash

Santa Ana: At least 4 killed in suspected DUI crashAt least four people are dead and one other is in critical condition following a violent two-vehicle crash in Santa Ana early Sunday.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Duke of Edinburgh car crash victim feels 'safer' now he's given up his licence

Duke of Edinburgh car crash victim feels 'safer' now he's given up his licenceA woman who broke her wrist in a car crash involving the Duke of Edinburgh has said she feels “safer” now he has given up his driving licence. Emma Fairweather, 46, who was a passenger in a Kia Carens that collided with the Duke's Land Rover last month, said: "He's making the most sensible decision he can. It's a shame he didn't make it a bit sooner but it's the right thing to do.” The Duke, 97, voluntarily surrendered his licence after “careful consideration”, Buckingham Palace announced this weekend. It comes almost a month after the accident, in which his Land Rover was overturned on a crossroads near the Queen's Norfolk estate. The Duke said he was blinded by the sun before he pulled out of a sideroad into the path of an oncoming car. Norfolk Police have passed their file on the crash to prosecutors, although he is now unlikely to face action. Nick Freeman, the lawyer known as Mr Loophole for his successful defence of celebrities charged with traffic offences, said: “What would be the point in prosecuting a 97-year-old man who has dedicated the majority of his life to public service and who has already given up his licence? Emma Fairweather appears on ITV's This Morning Credit:  ITV/PA  “I’m not saying (the decision) was designed to achieve that but the net effect of it would render a prosecution a totally futile exercise. It would achieve nothing.” Mr Freeman said a potential prosecution would have to be in the public interest. “If he had not given up his licence I think it’s without doubt they would have gone down the prosecution route,” he said. “They may have thought they had a duty to take him off the roads, they could have made him retake his test, but surrendering his licence scuppers any prosecution.” Ms Fairweather, 46, a mother-of-two from Kings Lynn, Norfolk, told the Sunday Mirror: “Undoubtedly the roads will be safer now. It won't have been easy for him to make as it is a loss of independence. But he can work around it." She said she had done "nothing but cry" this week after having an op to screw a metal plate into her arm. The Duke’s decision to relinquish his licence is in marked contrast to his attitude in the aftermath of the January 17 accident, when he took delivery of a replacement Land Rover and drove it on public roads without a seat belt. He later wrote to the victims to express his contrition.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Coroner names 4 killed in house in California plane crash

Coroner names 4 killed in house in California plane crashYORBA LINDA, Calif. (AP) — Authorities on Wednesday identified four people, including an 85-year-old man, who were killed on the ground when a small plane broke apart in the air and crashed into a Southern California neighborhood last weekend.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Victims of Yorba Linda plane crash remembered amid continuing investigation

Victims of Yorba Linda plane crash remembered amid continuing investigationA vigil Thursday night honored four relatives killed when a small plane broke apart in midair, crashing in a Southern California neighborhood Sunday.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Yorba Linda plane crash: Residents were hosting Super Bowl party when small plane crashed into home

Yorba Linda plane crash: Residents were hosting Super Bowl party when small plane crashed into homeWitnesses say the residents of a home set ablaze in the plane crash in Yorba Linda were hosting a Super Bowl party when the aircraft crashed.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

What happened? NTSB says tail and wings broke off plane before 'unusual' California crash

What happened? NTSB says tail and wings broke off plane before 'unusual' California crashAuthorities on Monday picked up plane wreckage strewn across four blocks by an "unusual" crash that killed five in a Southern California neighborhood.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Prince Philip sends personal apology to victims of Sandringham car crash

Prince Philip sends personal apology to victims of Sandringham car crashThe Duke of Edinburgh has personally written to the two women injured in the car crash he was involved in on the Sandringham estate to say he is “deeply sorry.” The 97-year-old wrote to Ellie Townsend, the driver of the Kia Carens that collided with his Land Rover as he pulled out of a sideroad, and her passenger, Emma Fairweather. It follows mounting criticism of the way both Buckingham Palace and the police handled the fallout from the crash. The Duke was pictured back at the wheel without a seatbelt just two days later, which was deemed “insensitive and inconsiderate” to the victims. In his letter to Ms Fairweather, the Duke admitted he had "failed to see the car coming" and blamed the bright winter sun that was low in the sky. He wished her a “speedy recovery from a very distressing experience” and said he felt “very contrite about the consequences.” He admitted he was left “somewhat shaken” after the accident, which resulted in him having to be pulled through the sunroof of his vehicle after it flipped onto its side, and explained that he had been advised to return to Sandringham House by a police officer shortly after the collision. The letter sent to Emma Fairweather from the DUke of Edinburgh Credit: Steve Bainbridge The Duke is understood to have given a written statement to police investigating the January 17 incident and officers are considering whether there is enough evidence to charge him with careless driving. In his later, dated January 21, he wrote: “I would like you to know how very sorry I am for my part in the accident at the Babingley cross-roads. "I have been across that crossing any number of times and I know very well the amount of traffic that uses that main road. "It was a bright sunny day and at about three in the afternoon, the sun was low over the Wash. "In other words, the sun was shining low over the main road. In normal conditions I would have no difficulty in seeing traffic coming from the Dersingham direction, but I can only imagine that I failed to see the car coming.” The note, thought to have been hand delivered and seen by the Sunday Mirror, was signed “Yours sincerely, Philip.” He also sent similarly "personal letters" to the passersby who helped pull him to safety from the wreckage. Emma Fairweather, who was injured in a car crash involving the Duke of Edinburgh Credit: PA Ms Fairweather, 46, who broke her wrist in the January 17 accident, had previously criticised the Duke for driving his replacement Land Rover on public roads so soon after the accident and complained that she had received no personal communication from him. But she said she was “chuffed” with the letter and described it as the act of “human kindness” that she had wanted. Ms Townsend. the 28-year-old driver of the car, is understood to have been left shaken by the experience after fearing for her nine-month-old baby son who was in the back seat. Prince Philip car crash scene near Sandringham Photo  Buckingham Palace said Philip was "fully complying with the police investigation". Norfolk police said: "The collision investigation is ongoing and we will not comment any further at this time." If found to be at fault, the Duke is likely be offered a driver awareness course, with a lesson to improve their motoring skills considered more in the public interest than a court case.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Multiple boats escape from Hudson River, crash into Amtrak bridge

Multiple boats escape from Hudson River, crash into Amtrak bridgeEight large barges, including a cruise boat, broke loose and floated down the Hudson River towards Albany.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Prince Philip crash: passenger who broke wrist claims police haven't asked her for statement four days on

Prince Philip crash: passenger who broke wrist claims police haven't asked her for statement four days onA woman who broke her wrist in a car crash with the Duke of Edinburgh has criticised police for their treatment of her, claiming she has still not been asked for a statement four days on. Emma Fairweather, 46, was a passenger in a Kia Carens which collided with the Duke's Land Rover on Thursday, and has said she is "very upset" by the treatment she has received from police and Buckingham Palace.  Claiming she has not even been asked to give a statement detailing what happened, she said she believed she was being treated differently to the Duke, who has since been photographed out driving again. Ms Fairweather has received a message of support from the Queen, delivered by a lady-in-waiting via a telephone message while she was away from home, but said of the approach of police and palace: "The support that I was offered initially hasn’t really been the reality for me. "I’ve had no opportunity to discuss this in any formal capacity. "I need somebody to understand that I still have medical concerns. I’m very worried that I haven’t been asked for a statement from the police. The scene of the crash, near Sandringham "When I contacted the Family Liaison Officer to say I have a number of questions, he hasn’t been prepared to listen to those." She added: "“There needs to be a decision as to whether Prince Philip and I are from the same walk of life or not, and we either receive the same treatment or we don’t. "I haven’t had a full medical check over yet, I just feel that his treatment or his experience hasn’t been the same as mine.” A Norfolk Police spokesman said: “In any collision investigation our priority is to ensure medical welfare is addressed in the first instance before taking any statement. "We can confirm arrangements were made on Friday (18 January) to take a statement from the passenger involved in the collision. This will take place tomorrow (22 January). “Further contact was attempted on a number of occasions over the weekend but unfortunately these were not successful. “Family liaison officers are not normally deployed for collisions of this nature. However, recognising the level of public interest in this case we felt it appropriate to provide additional support. “All family liaison officers give advice around handling media attention, and as part of this, it is made clear that it is a decision for the individual whether or not to speak to journalists.” Ms Fairweather was interviewed on ITV's This Morning, following several interviews with the Daily and Sunday Mirror newspapers.  Her friend, the 28-year-old driver of the car Ellie Townsend, has chosen not to speak publicly, understood to be shaken by the experience after fearing for her nine-month-old baby son in the back of the car. Ms Fairweather claimed she has asked for car insurance details from Mrs Townsend "a number of times" in the aftermath of the crash, telling This Morning: "Finally yesterday afternoon I received a very formal email from her husband to share those details with me." The Duke of Edinburgh driving in September 2018 Credit: Peter Jolly Asked what she hoped for from officials, she said: "I think an acknowledgement, not so much any admission of responsibility, but that somebody who would like to talk to me about how difficult this is going to be for me. "I’ve had no support. The only support I’ve had is my very immediate family. "Neither party [the Duke or the second driver] have been forthcoming with very much information." Asked about whether she had spoken to the Duke immediately after the crash, she said: "Somebody said he did try to but he was advised not to. "[But] I don’t think asking if you’re OK is accepting liability." The Duke was photographed on Saturday driving a replacement Land Rover near to the Sandringham Estate, without wearing a seatbelt.  Ms Fairweather said she had been "very upset" after seeing the pictures, adding: "Of course accidents happen, but there needs to be a period of reflection on what could be done differently to prevent the same thing happening again. "It was highly insensitive and inconsiderate to me." The Queen attends church at Sandringham on Sunday Credit: Mark Cuthbert Mary Morrison, the Queen’s lady-in-waiting, had telephoned Ms Fairweather prior to the interview, saying in a message: “Hello, I’m ringing from Sandringham House. "The Queen has asked me to telephone you to pass on her warmest good wishes following the ­accident and she is very eager to know how you are and hope that everything is going as well as can be expected.  “We’re all thinking of you very much at Sandringham and I’ll try you at a later date. Unfortunately I’ve got to go out quite shortly but I hope all is well as can be expected for you. Thank you very much indeed. Goodbye.” A senior Palace aide has also spoken directly to the driver.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Prince Philip 'could be sent on driving awareness course' as police investigate crash

Prince Philip 'could be sent on driving awareness course' as police investigate crashThe Duke of Edinburgh could be sent on a drivers’ awareness course, it has emerged, as police continue to investigate a crash which left two women hospitalised. The Duke, 97, is understood to have no intention of giving up driving, having been photographed on public roads driving a new car less than 48 hours after the accident. He is understood to be complying with a Norfolk Police investigation, which will see him interviewed about what happened. Two women, aged 45 and 28, will also be asked for their recollections of the accident, after their Kia Carens collided with the Duke’s Land Rover Freelander on the A149 on Thursday. Both police and palace have emphasised that the investigation will be conducted in the same way as any other traffic accident, despite one of the involved parties being married to the Queen. That process would see him interviewed in the coming days, before police officers recommend whether to proceed with charging anyone involved. The scene of the crash, on the A149 at Sandringham The Duke has already passed an eye test as part of the investigation, celebrating by defiantly driving himself around the public roads near to Sandringham alone less than 48 hours after the accident. He was caught on camera driving in dark glasses without wearing a seatbelt, in a gesture that has been criticised by onlookers. A spokesman for Norfolk Police said: “We are aware of the photograph. “Suitable words of advice have been given to the driver and this is in line with our standard response when being made aware of or receiving such images showing this type of offence.” The law states that drivers can be fined up to £500 if caught without a seatbelt. The Duke of Edinburgh drives the Queen and Barack and Michelle Obama during their visit to Windsor Credit: Geoff Pugh If the Duke was found to be at fault for the Sandringham accident, he could be charged with driving without due care and attention, which carries a maximum penalty of nine points on a driving record and a £5,000 fine. It is thought unlikely that a prosecution would come to court. A police source said yesterday that non-royal drivers involved in a similar collision would more likely be offered a drivers’ awareness course, with improving their motoring skills considered more in the public interest than a court case. The Duke reportedly said "I'm such a fool" after being pulled from his wrecked Land Rover Freelander on Thursday after it flipped on its side following the collision with a Kia close to Sandringham. Witnesses claim he had told police at the scene he had been “dazzled” by the low sun at 2.45pm. A spokesman for Norfolk Police said: “As is standard procedure with injury collisions, the incident will be investigated and any appropriate action taken.”



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines