Tag Archives: conviction

Illinois factory gunman obtained firearm permit despite felony conviction

Illinois factory gunman obtained firearm permit despite felony convictionGary Martin, 45, who carried his pistol to work on Friday apparently suspecting he faced dismissal from his job, opened fire after being told of his termination in a meeting at the Henry Pratt Company plant in Aurora, Illinois, about 40 miles (64 km) west of Chicago, police said. The dead included the plant manager, a human resources supervisor, a human resources intern and two other workers. A sixth employee and five police officers responding to the scene were wounded, and the gunman himself was slain about 90 minutes later in a gunfight with police who stormed the building.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

'This hurts': On El Chapo's home turf, some lament Mexican drug lord's conviction

'This hurts': On El Chapo's home turf, some lament Mexican drug lord's convictionGuzman was found guilty of smuggling tonnes of drugs into the United States over a decades-long career built on deadly intimidation and bloody turf wars as he moved illicit shipments across continents at lightning speed. Reaction in his native state of Sinaloa, home to remote mountain villages and sunny beaches along Mexico’s Pacific coast, ranged from lament to resignation that little will change now that Guzman is likely to spend the rest of his life behind bars. “Trafficking drugs will continue,” said Gildardo Velazquez in Cuiliacan, the state’s humid capital.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

El Chapo tearful in footage released after conviction for running multibillion-dollar drug empire

El Chapo tearful in footage released after conviction for running multibillion-dollar drug empireFootage has emerged of Mexican drug lord El Chapo in tears as he arrived in the US following his arrest in 2017. The 61-year-old, whose real name is Joaquin Guzman, was convicted on Tuesday of running a major criminal enterprise smuggling drugs worth billions of dollars into the US. In the wake of his conviction, the US Justice Department released a video showing him staring blankly out of an aeroplane window, before wiping away a tear upon disembarking.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

High Court Upholds Involuntary Manslaughter Conviction in Texting Suicide Case

High Court Upholds Involuntary Manslaughter Conviction in Texting Suicide CaseEvidence proved Michelle Carter's conduct caused the suicide of Conrad Roy III



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Top Taiwan court revokes conviction of ex-leader Ma, orders retrial

Top Taiwan court revokes conviction of ex-leader Ma, orders retrialTaiwan’s top court Thursday ordered a new trial of former president Ma Ying-jeou, revoking his conviction in a political leaks case, one of a raft of lawsuits brought against him since he stepped down in 2016. Ma was sentenced to four months in prison last year by the high court for violating the communication security and surveillance act, overturning a previous not guilty verdict from a lower court. Ma’s Beijing-friendly Kuomintang (KMT) party held power from 2008 to 2016, before it was trounced by Tsai Ing-wen’s Democratic Progressive Party (DPP).



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Florida tale of infidelity and homicide ends with conviction

Florida tale of infidelity and homicide ends with convictionTALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — After a spellbinding five-day trial that featured tales of infidelity and a multimillion dollar insurance payout, a jury on Friday convicted a Florida woman of helping mastermind the killing of her husband nearly two decades ago.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

4th conviction in Los Angeles murder of Chinese student

4th conviction in Los Angeles murder of Chinese studentLOS ANGELES (AP) — A 21-year-old man was found guilty Wednesday of first-degree murder in the beating death of a University of Southern California graduate student from China.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Virginia city seeks healing after man's murder conviction

Virginia city seeks healing after man's murder convictionCHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. (AP) — Civil rights activists in this Virginia city say they hope the first-degree-murder conviction of a man who drove into a group of counterprotesters at a white nationalist rally in 2017 will help with healing their violence-scarred community.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Three police jailed for 40 years in first conviction over Philippine drug war killings

Three police jailed for 40 years in first conviction over Philippine drug war killingsA Philippine court found three police officers guilty on Thursday of killing a student they alleged was a drug dealer, in the first known such conviction under the president's deadly crackdown on drugs. Regional Trial Court Presiding Judge Rodolfo Azucena Jr. ruled the officers murdered Kian Loyd Delos Santos during a raid in Caloocan city's slums in the Manila metropolis last year. It rejected the policemen's claim that the 17-year-old fired back while resisting arrest. The court sentenced the officers, Arnel Oares, Jeremias Pereda and Jerwin Cruz, to be imprisoned for up to 40 years without parole, although they can appeal. Activists light candles in front of the picture of 17-year-old student Kian Loyd delos Santos in Manila Credit: AP Photo/Aaron Favila Aside from the prison term, the policemen, who appeared in court in handcuffs and yellow detainee shirts, were ordered to pay damages to Santos's impoverished family. President Rodrigo Duterte's crackdown, which has left thousands of suspects dead, reportedly in clashes with the police, has alarmed Western governments and UN rights experts and horrified human rights watchdogs. The volatile president has stressed he does not condone extrajudicial killings, although he has repeatedly threatened drug suspects with death and has assured police he would back them up in ways that human rights watchdogs say have encouraged law enforcers to act with impunity. "A shoot first, think later attitude can never be countenanced in a civilized society. Never has homicide or murder been a function of law enforcement," Mr Azucena said in his ruling. "The public peace is never predicated on the cost of human life." Mr Duterte's government called the ruling "a triumph of justice" which disproved critics' assertion that the judiciary was a rubberstamp. "As we have always stressed, the conduct of the government's anti-illegal drug campaign is based on accountability. Therefore, we do not – and we will never – tolerate unjustified police violence, brutality or killing," presidential spokesman and chief legal counsel Salvador Panelo told a news conference. Opposition Senator Risa Hontiveros, who has railed against the drug killings, said the court decision proved that extrajudicial killings under Duterte's crackdown were being committed by rogue members of the national police force. "This is a light in the darkness," Ms Hontiveros said in a statement. "Despite the gruesome climate of killing and impunity in the country, this verdict sends the message that there is hope and justice. And we will fight for more light and truth until the darkness cannot overcome them." Rodrigo Duterte has vowed to pardon authorities involved in his bloody crackdown, but even he refused to defend the 2017 killing of Kian Delos Santos Credit: NOEL CELIS/AFP/Getty Images Ms Hontiveros said the numbers of drug killings, which started to rise when Mr Duterte took office in mid-2016 and launched his war against drugs, could not have reached "catastrophic levels if these killings did not have a sinister principle and policy behind them." Mr Duterte and police officials have repeatedly stated there was no state policy to kill drug suspects illegally. Mr Duterte faces at least two mass murder complaints before the International Criminal Court, which he said would never acquire jurisdiction over him. Delos Santos's killing on Aug 16, 2017, sparked an outcry and a televised Senate inquiry, and prompted Mr Duterte to temporarily order a small anti-drug agency with only about 1,000 men to oversee the campaign against illegal drugs. The crackdown had been previously led by the national police, which Mr Duterte once described as "corrupt to the core." The policemen claimed Delos Santos was a drug dealer who fired at officers during the raid, but his family and witnesses testified in official investigations that he was shot in a dark alley near a creek as he pleaded for his life.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Manafort juror says 1 holdout prevented 18-count conviction

Manafort juror says 1 holdout prevented 18-count convictionWASHINGTON (AP) — A juror in Paul Manafort's financial fraud trial says a lone holdout prevented the jury from convicting the onetime Trump campaign chairman on all 18 counts.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines