Tag Archives: claims

Government to investigate fresh claims of plundering of Second World War shipwrecks in Asia

Government to investigate fresh claims of plundering of Second World War shipwrecks in AsiaAn investigation is being launched into claims that up to 10 British Second World War wrecks in Asia have been plundered for scrap metal. Gavin Williamson, the Defence Secretary, said he was "very concerned" to hear fresh allegations that remains of four ships lying off the Malaysian and Indonesian coasts have been looted. It comes after six wrecks, including Royal Navy battleships HMS Prince of Wales and HMS Repulse, were feared to have been damaged or destroyed by scavengers. Altogether the wrecks are thought to be the final resting place for hundreds of Royal Navy sailors and civilians. Remains of the British and Dutch sailors were reportedly dumped by the metal merchants in an Indonesian cemetery.  Mr Williams said the Government "absolutely condemns" the unauthorised disturbance of any wreck containing human remains. "I am very concerned to hear any allegations of incidents of Royal Navy wrecks being plundered in the Far East," he said. "We will work closely with the Indonesian and Malaysian governments to investigate these claims." Family members pay their respects to the 915 Dutch soldiers killed in the battle of the Java Sea at the Dutch war cemetery Ereveld in Surabay Credit: AFP The wrecks of HMS Tien Kwang, HMS Kuala, HMS Banka and SS Loch Ranza had recently been targeted by thieves for their metal, the Mail on Sunday reported. HMS Tien Kwang, a submarine chaser, and HMS Kuala, an auxiliary patrol vessel, were carrying hundreds of evacuees when they were attacked by Japanese bombers near the Indonesian Riau Islands on February 1942. Earlier that month the SS Loch Ranza, a cargo ship, had been set on fire in a Japanese air raid off the Riau Islands and exploded, killing seven men. It came after HMS Banka, a minesweeper, sank after hitting a mine off the coast of Malaysia in December 1941, killing its crew of four British officers and 34 Malay sailors. Chinese-owned barges fitted with cranes have been carrying out the illegal operations, the newspaper reported. Relatives of sailors expressed horror earlier this year at reports that their bodies may have been dumped in an unmarked mass grave in Indonesia. “They have no respect for anyone”, Shirley McGowan, whose grand-father was killed in the sinking of HMS Repulse, told The Telegraph in February. “For them, it is only about the dollars. “These ships are war graves and they should be treated as such”, she added. Looters are said to favour targeting the Second World War-era wrecks because of the ship steel's properties. Built before the advent of atomic weapons, the metal has absorbed little background radiation, making the material suitable for sensitive instruments. Royal Navy battleships HMS Prince of Wales, where Churchill and Roosevelt signed the Atlantic Charter, and HMS Repulse both sank off the Malaysian coast, on December 10 1941. In 2014, the ships, the last resting places of more than 830 Royal Navy sailors, were found to have been damaged by scavengers. Two years ago, the MoD was accused of failing to protect historic wartime wrecks after it was disclosed three British warships, the HMS Exeter, HMS Encounter and HMS Electra, been broken up and removed by illegal scrap metal scavengers.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Body Camera Video Released After Woman Claims She Was Mistreated During Arrest

Body Camera Video Released After Woman Claims She Was Mistreated During ArrestAn Arkansas police department has released body camera footage that contradicts claims in a now viral Facebook post.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Brennan fires back at Trump: Claims of 'no collusion' are 'hogwash'

Brennan fires back at Trump: Claims of 'no collusion' are 'hogwash'A day after President Trump revoked John Brennan’s security clearance, the New York Times published a blistering op-ed by the former CIA director, who disputes Trump’s assertion that there was no collusion between his campaign and Russia.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Ohio Secretary Of State Condemns False Claims About Voter Fraud

Ohio Secretary Of State Condemns False Claims About Voter FraudOhio's secretary of state subtly condemned the right-wing websites, including



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

John Brennan Says Trump's 'No Collusion' Claims Are 'Hogwash'

John Brennan Says Trump's 'No Collusion' Claims Are 'Hogwash'Former CIA Director John Brennan says Donald Trump's oft-repeated claims of



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Omarosa Claims Trump Repeatedly Used 'N-Word' During 'The Apprentice'

Omarosa Claims Trump Repeatedly Used 'N-Word' During 'The Apprentice'Former "Apprentice" contestant and White House aide Omarosa Manigault Newman



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Balderson claims victory in Ohio, but O'Connor isn't conceding yet

Balderson claims victory in Ohio, but O'Connor isn't conceding yetWith provisional ballots yet to be counted, the race could drag on into Wednesday.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Manafort trial – live updates: Rick Gates claims political consultant Konstantin Kilmnik controlled hidden overseas accounts

Manafort trial - live updates: Rick Gates claims political consultant Konstantin Kilmnik controlled hidden overseas accountsThe most critical moment in the financial fraud trial of former Donald Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort will arrive this week with the testimony of his “right-hand man” — the person the defenceis seeking to blame for any crimes. Rick Gates, who also served in a senior role in President Trump’s campaign, has been a key cooperator for Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s team as part of their investigation into Russia election meddling and any possible collusion with Mr Trump’s campaign team. The trial, set to resume on Monday afternoon in federal court in Alexandria, Virginia, is the first of Mr Mueller’s prosecutions to reach a jury.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

China probes claims head abbot sexually harassed nuns

China probes claims head abbot sexually harassed nunsChina’s top religious authority launched an investigation Thursday after two former monks alleged that a prominent Buddhist abbot and Communist Party member coerced several nuns into having sex with him, one of the country’s most high-profile #MeToo moments. The allegations against abbot Xuecheng and the Beijing Longquan Monastery burst into the public eye when a 95-page document written by the former monks, who also claimed that the temple is in financial trouble, emerged online earlier this week. Four gave in to Xuecheng’s demands, the report said, adding that he tried to assert “mind control” by claiming the sex was a part of their Buddhist studies.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

IS claims Tajikistan attack that killed 4 foreign cyclists

IS claims Tajikistan attack that killed 4 foreign cyclistsMOSCOW (AP) — The Islamic State group on Tuesday claimed responsibility for a car-and-knife attack on Western tourists cycling in Tajikistan that killed two Americans and two Europeans.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines