Tag Archives: charge

Samsung is making a phone that could last for days on a single charge

Samsung is making a phone that could last for days on a single chargeLast year, Samsung announced a shift in policy when it comes to its smartphone business. The best phones Samsung makes, including the Galaxy S and Galaxy Note, won't be the devices to introduce new hardware innovations. Instead, the company will use mid-range phones to showcase new technologies and then bring them to flagship phones. We saw it happen with triple- and quad-lens cameras last fall, as well as the first Infinity-O display. These features started on mid-range handsets before eventually making it to the Galaxy S10 and Note 10.With that in mind, we're not surprised to hear that Samsung is developing a phone with a massive 6,000 mAh battery. But that device isn't the Galaxy S11, and there's no telling if Samsung's next flagship will end up getting a high-capacity battery like this.Dutch blog GalaxyClub found regulatory filings in Korea that show the image below, which is a 6,000 mAh smartphone battery.It's believed the battery will power a new Galaxy M model that will be released down the road, but it's unclear when the handset will be unveiled. This is the second time we've heard that Samsung is working on a 6,000 mAh phone, but we now have actual visual confirmation of the battery pack.Samsung also launched an M20 version with a 5,000 mAh battery (top image), so the upgrade makes sense for the series. However, unlike Galaxy A series handsets that Samsung uses to introduce new smartphone features, the M series might have a different purpose. M phones are priced cheaper than the A-series, targeting emerging markets such as India where battery capacity is a key feature when choosing a new phone.Packing a 6,000 mAh phone inside a device featuring sophisticated components like an in-display ultrasonic fingerprint sensor or multi-lens camera system might be easier said than done. Those components tend to reduce the amount of space available for the battery. And after the Note 7 disaster, Samsung is being extra careful with battery safety.The same goes for the Galaxy Note, where a chunk of the phone's internal space is reserved for the S Pen stylus. Samsung explained earlier this week that it removed the headphone jack from the Note 10 phones to increase battery life by a measly 100 mAh. The road to bumping capacity all the way from 4,500 mAh to 6,000 mAh on these phones is more complicated.This is all speculation for the time being, as it's unclear when the new Galaxy M with this massive battery will be released. When it does launch, however, it's entirely possible that it'll last for days before needing to be recharged.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

DOJ won't charge William Barr, Wilbur Ross after contempt vote

DOJ won't charge William Barr, Wilbur Ross after contempt voteLawmakers never expected the Justice Department to prosecute its own leader.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Mueller probe witness now faces child sex trafficking charge

Mueller probe witness now faces child sex trafficking chargeA businessman who served as a key witness in special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation now faces a charge of child sex trafficking in addition to transporting child pornography. An indictment made public Friday in federal court in Alexandria charges Lebanese-American businessman George Nader, 60, with transporting a 14-year-old boy from Europe to Washington, D.C., in February 2000 and engaging in sex acts with him. It details his efforts to serve as liaison between a Russian banker close to Russian President Vladimir Putin and members of President Donald Trump's transition team.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

The Latest: 1st-degree murder charge in black teen's killing

The Latest: 1st-degree murder charge in black teen's killingCounty prosecutors in Phoenix say they have filed a direct complaint charging a white man who says he felt threatened by a black youth’s rap music with first-degree murder in the 17-year-old’s killing. The Maricopa County Attorney’s Office filed the complaint Tuesday against 27-year-old Michael Adams, who is under arrest in the fatal stabbing Thursday of Elijah Al-Amin at a suburban convenience store. The killing has sparked outrage nationwide, with people taking to Twitter with the hashtag: #JusticeForElijah.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Alabama DA to drop manslaughter charge against woman whose fetus died after shooting

Alabama DA to drop manslaughter charge against woman whose fetus died after shootingMarshae Jones, 27, was arrested last week after another woman shot and killed Jones' fetus in December 2018.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Iraqi general, U.S. Marine dispute murder charge against Navy SEAL

Iraqi general, U.S. Marine dispute murder charge against Navy SEALAn Iraqi general and a U.S. Marine testifying in the murder trial of a U.S. Navy SEAL said on Thursday they never saw the platoon leader stab a wounded detainee in the neck, disputing the central allegation in the prosecution’s war crimes case. A sworn deposition of Major General Abbas al-Jubouri, videotaped in San Diego earlier this month, was played for the seven-member jury on the second day of defense testimony in the court-martial of Navy Special Operations Chief Edward Gallagher. Contrary to prior testimony that Gallagher, or a medic on his team, had acted deliberately to cause the death of a helpless Islamic State fighter in their custody, Jubouri said the Navy SEALs did all they could to save the teenager’s life.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Witness could face perjury charge in Navy SEAL court-martial

Witness could face perjury charge in Navy SEAL court-martialA Navy SEAL who testified that it was he — not his platoon chief — who killed a wounded prisoner in Iraq may face perjury charges. The Navy said Wednesday it is reviewing Corey Scott’s testimony following his stunning testimony last week in the court-martial of Special Operations Chief Edward Gallagher. Witnesses at his San Diego trial had said they saw Gallagher stab a wounded young Islamic State captive in the neck and shoot at two civilians during his 2017 tour in Iraq.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Witness could face perjury charge in Navy SEAL court-martial

Witness could face perjury charge in Navy SEAL court-martialA witness who dropped stunning testimony at the war crimes trial of a decorated Navy SEAL by telling the court he had killed an Islamic State captive in Iraq in 2017 — not his accused platoon chief — could now face charges of perjury, according to the Navy. The Navy’s legal adviser to the commander overseeing the court-martial of Special Operations Chief Edward Gallagher notified the witness’s lawyer, Brian Ferguson, in an email late Tuesday that the testimony Corey Scott gave last week could be used against him if he lied on the stand or gave a false statement. Cmdr. Tam Lawrence, Naval Special Warfare spokesperson, said Scott was granted immunity in exchange for the promise of truthful testimony.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

The Latest: Driver denies previous drunken driving charge

The Latest: Driver denies previous drunken driving chargeA lawyer for the driver of a pickup truck in a crash that killed seven motorcyclists in New Hampshire says his client denies being intoxicated when he was charged with drunken driving in Connecticut last month. Volodymyr Zhukovskyy was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs on May 11 in a Walmart parking lot in East Windsor, Connecticut.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Dutch investigators to charge four suspects with murder over downing of MH17

Dutch investigators to charge four suspects with murder over downing of MH17Four men with links to the Russian military have been charged with murdering nearly 300 people on board an airliner shot down over Ukraine. Dutch investigators issued international arrest warrants for Russians Igor "Strelkov" Girkin, Oleg Pulatov, and Sergic Dubinsky, and Ukrainian Leonid Kharchenko. The men are accused of procuring and organising the deployment of the Russian missile launcher that shot down flight MH17 in 2014. Announcing the charges on Wednesday, Fred Westerbeke, the Netherlands’ chief prosecutor, condemned the Kremlin for trying to obstruct the investigation. "We have the proof that the Russian Federation was involved in this tragedy one way or another," he said. "Russia has not provided any information…and that is a slap in the face of all of the relatives of the bereaved," he said. Former FSB officer Igor "Strelkov" Girkin was the top separatist commander when MH17 was shot down Credit:  MAXIM ZMEYEV/REUTERS All 298 people on board flight MH17 from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur were killed when it was blown out of the sky by a Russian-made Buk missile on July 17, 2014. About two thirds of the victims were Dutch. Ten Britons were also killed. It was the bloodiest single day in the war between Ukrainian troops and Russia-backed separatist forces which has killed more than 10,000 people over the past five years. An image showing the Russian Buk missile launcher that shot down MH17 moving through separatist held territory before the incident.  Credit: Universal News & Sport (Europe) Russia has always denied involvement. But Australia and the Netherlands said last year that they hold Russia legally responsible for the shootdown and have said they will seek reparations. The Dutch-led joint investigation team, which also includes Australian, Malaysian, Belgian and Ukrainian investigators, said the men named on Wednesday were instrumental in bringing the Buk 9M38  missile involved into Ukraine from Russia. All were senior members of the self-proclaimed Donetsk People's Republic (DNR), a separatist movement largely funded and directed from Moscow. Mr Girkin, a former officer in Russia’s Federal Security Service, was the DNR’s “minister of defence” and top military commander at the time. Investigators painstakingly reconstructed the nose of MH17 to analyse the missile damage Credit: Dutch Safety Board Mr Dubinsky, Mr Pulatov, and Mr Kharchenko ran the DNR's military intelligence service, which is believed to have controlled and escorted the Russian BUK missile launcher on the day of the downing. Investigators say Mr Pulatov and Mr Dubinsky are serving or former members of Russia's GRU military intelligence agency. Mr Westerbeke said he was “realistic” about the prospects of bringing the suspects, who currently reside in Russia and separatist-held parts of Ukraine, to trial. But he added that investigations into the chain of command would continue, and that detectives are anxious to speak to soldiers from the 3rd battalion of Russia’s 53rd air defence brigade, which they believe provided the weapon and the crew. A separatist fighter stands on wreckage of the airliner near the village of Grabovo in July 2014 Credit: MAXIM ZMEYEV/Reuters He declined to say how far up the Russian chain of command the investigation could lead. But part of the evidence presented on Wednesday was an intercepted telephone conversation in which Alexander Borodai, DNR’s “prime minister,” asks Vladislav Surkov, an influential advisor to Vladimir Putin, for military reinforcements. Silene Fredriksz, whose son and daughter-in-law were killed in the disaster, said she was “satisfied” with the announcement. "There is a court case on March 9 2020 against four people for murder," she told reporters after family members were briefed on the charges. "I am happy that the trial is finally going to start and that the names have been announced. It's a start.” The Kremlin said it had no reason to trust the investigation and that its position on the incident has not changed. "Russia was unable to take part in the investigation despite expressing an interest right from the start and trying to join it,” said Dmitry Peskov, a spokesman for Vladimir Putin. The Russian foreign ministry called the findings "absolutely unfounded accusations aimed at discrediting the Russian Federation in the eyes of the international community." Mr Girkin, who has fallen out of favour with the Kremlin since 2014, said in a statement: "I can only say that militia did not shoot down the Boeing." The man who answered a phone number previously listed for Sergei Dubinsky said he did not know him. Emails to addresses linked to Mr Dubinsky and Mr Pulatov did not immediately receive a response. Jeremy Hunt, the Foreign Secretary, said:  “The Russian Federation must now cooperate fully with the prosecution and provide any assistance it requests in accordance with UN Security Council resolution 2166. “The charges brought against these individuals today show that the international community stands together against the impunity of those responsible for the despicable murder of 298 innocent people.”



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines