Tag Archives: Being

Saudi Ritz Carlton to reopen after being used as luxury prison in corruption purge

Saudi Ritz Carlton to reopen after being used as luxury prison in corruption purgeThe luxury Riyadh hotel used as a prison during Saudi Arabia's crackdown on corruption will reopen for business next month, suggesting authorities are close to settling the cases of many suspects. Dozens of princes, senior officials and top businessmen were detained and confined in the five-star Ritz-Carlton Riyadh as the government launched the purge in early November. The some 200 detainees occupied half the hotel's 492 rooms. The rest was closed to business. The hotel's website now accepts bookings from Feb. 14, quoting a nightly rate for its cheapest room of 2,439 riyals (£480). Saudi authorities have said they expect the vast majority of suspects to agree to financial settlements of charges against them, and that Riyadh hopes to recover about $ 100 billion of illicit funds. A small number are expected to be prosecuted. Construction giant Saudi Binladin Group said on Saturday that some of its shareholders might transfer part of their holdings to the state in a settlement with authorities. Chairman Bakr Bin Laden and several family members were detained in the crackdown. In late November, senior Saudi Prince Miteb bin Abdullah, once seen as a leading contender to the throne, was freed after reaching a settlement with authorities that involved paying more than $ 1 billion, according to a Saudi official. Another top businessman who has been held at the Ritz-Carlton is billionaire Prince Alwaleed bin Talal, chairman and owner of global investment firm Kingdom Holding. A Saudi official said this week that he was negotiating a possible settlement but so far had not agreed on terms. It has been rumoured, Mr Talal, one of the world’s richest men, could be forced to pay as much as $ 7bn. Saudi Arabia is in the midst of a massive political and economic shake-up, marked by the sudden appointment of Prince Mohammed bin Salman as crown prince in June. The 32-year-old son of the king has spearheaded the unprecedented crackdown on corruption among members of the government and royal family, as he consolidates his grip on power in the kingdom.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Qatari royal says he is being held against his will in UAE

Qatari royal says he is being held against his will in UAEA controversial member of Qatar's royal family claimed he was being held against his will in the UAE yesterday/Sun, eight months into a crisis between the Gulf states. Sheikh Abdullah bin Ali Al-Thani, a little-known royal, emerged as a key figure in the dispute between the Gulf states in the weeks after Riyadh and Abu Dhabi cut ties with Doha. He is seen by some as a potential challenger to the Qatari leadership. A video circulating online, also broadcast by Qatar-based Al-Jazeera television, shows the sheikh seated in an armchair warning that he was "afraid something could happen to me that will be blamed on Qatar". "I am now in Abu Dhabi, where I was a guest of (UAE crown prince) Sheikh Mohammed" bin Zayed al-Nahyan, said Sheikh Abdullah, "That is no longer the case. I am now detained," he said. "I want to make clear that the people of Qatar are innocent," the sheikh said. "Sheikh Mohammed bears full responsibility for anything that happens to me." The video could not be immediately authenticated, while Emirati officials were not immediately available for comment. Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Egypt and Bahrain severed diplomatic and trade ties with Qatar in June over allegations Doha supported Islamist extremists and had close ties to regional rival Iran. Doha denies the accusations. In response to the video, Qatar's foreign ministry spokeswoman, Lulwa al-Khater, said in a statement that Doha was monitoring the situation. "The state of Qatar observes the situation closely, and due to the total severance of ties with the UAE it is difficult to clearly establish the circumstances surrounding the situation," she said. "Despite that, the State of Qatar principally stands with the protection of rights for every individual and affirms the entitlement of his family to pursue all legal means for the protection of his rights."



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Rep. John Lewis Says Being Racist Must Be In Trump's DNA

Rep. John Lewis Says Being Racist Must Be In Trump's DNARep. John Lewis (D-Ga.) blasted President Donald Trump’s characterization of Haiti and African nations as “shitholes,” adding that being racist “must be” in Trump’s DNA.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Dianne Feinstein: If Trump Can't Stop Being Racist, He Needs To Go

Dianne Feinstein: If Trump Can't Stop Being Racist, He Needs To GoWASHINGTON ― Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) said Friday that President Donald Trump’s comments about African nations being “shithole countries” are “beneath the dignity of the presidency,” and if he can’t take his job seriously, he shouldn’t have it.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

This Map Shows Where Americans Are Being Told 'Do Not Travel' in Mexico

This Map Shows Where Americans Are Being Told 'Do Not Travel' in MexicoThe State Department is urging Americans to avoid these areas



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Family demand release of man found snoring on autopsy table after being pronounced dead

Family demand release of man found snoring on autopsy table after being pronounced deadThe family of a Spanish prisoner who was pronounced dead by three doctors before waking up as he was being prepared for autopsy have demanded he immediately be released from jail. Gonzalo Montoya Jimenez, 29, began snoring on an autopsy table in a morgue in Asturias four hours after his death was certified at a local prison on Sunday morning. The man – whose body had already been marked up for the procedure – was on Tuesday awake and recovering in hospital as authorities opened investigations into the mysterious case. The prisoner was discovered in his cell by guards at around 8am on Sunday, seated in a chair, blue, and showing no signs of life, according to officials. His death was certified first by the doctor on the overnight shift, then a second on duty that morning, and finally by a forensic specialist before he was transported to the morgue. Family members revealed yesterday that Montoya Jimenez had tried to commit suicide by taking an overdose of barbiturates, accusing prison authorities of failing to control access to medication. The prisoner had reportedly been taking anti-epileptic drugs, while relatives suggested he was also being treated for anxiety, though the specific substances involved have yet to be confirmed. “The pills are taken as they (the prisoners) want,” said Luis Manuel Montoya, his uncle, according to local paper La Voz de Asturias. He and other family members gathered at the hospital in the town of Oviedo said they would be seeking Montoya Jimenez’s immediate release as compensation for what they branded negligence. The 29-year-old has seven months left to serve of his sentence, for stealing scrap metal. “We don’t want him to go back to jail. If he goes in, he will come out as a body,” Mr Montoya said. Shocked by his nephew’s suicide attempt, he said he nevertheless understood it. “He is young, he is 29 years old and has his whole life ahead of him. He has been in jail three years and he couldn’t go on anymore.” The prisoner’s father, José Carlos Montoya, said he had tried to hang himself in his cell seven months ago. “It’s clear that in the jail they do not supervise him nor treat him well,” he told El Comercio, adding that his son was given "pills for his nerves, but it was not enough". Relatives also cast doubt on whether Montoya Jimenez was properly examined by all three doctors who pronounced him dead, suggesting that instead the first certificate had simply been rubber-stamped by the second and third physicians. It was initially suggested that Montoya Jimenez may have suffered a rare case of catalepsy, a nervous condition which induces an unresponsive state. Tests have since indicated the coma caused by the overdose, along with severe hypothermia, may have masked his vital signs.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Australian girl who was face of iconic Akubra hat commits suicide aged 14 after being bullied online

Australian girl who was face of iconic Akubra hat commits suicide aged 14 after being bullied onlineA 14-year-old girl who was once the face of Akubra– Australia’s famous cowboy-style hat – has taken her own life after being harassed online, prompting calls by her family to “stop the bullies”. The parents of Amy "Dolly" Everett, who appeared in a popular advertising campaign for Akubra when she was 8, said she was a “caring, beautiful soul” and expressed hope that her death would raise awareness about bullying and harassment. Tick Everett, her father, said in a Facebook post that Amy had taken her life “to escape the evil in this world”. He did not reveal details of  the bullying but appealed to those responsible to attend a memorial service for her in their home town of Katherine in outback central Australia. “If we can help other precious lives from being lost and the suffering of so many, then Doll's life will not be wasted,” he wrote. “If by some chance the people who thought this was a joke and made themselves feel superior by the constant bullying and harassment see this post, please come to our service and witness the complete devastation you have created.” Amy's father invited her bullies to attend her funeral to "witness the complete devastation you have created" Akubra, which has been making its trademark wide-rimmed hats for  more than a century, released a statement, expressing condolences and denouncing bullying. “This is not an easy post to write,” said the statement. “We were shocked and distressed to hear of the passing of "Dolly" – the young girl many of you will recognise from our past Christmas adverts… Bullying of any type is unacceptable. It is up to us to stand up when we see any kind of bullying behaviour.” We are shocked and distressed to hear of the passing of “Dolly” – the young girl many of you will recognise from our past Christmas adverts. This beautiful photo was taken 8 years ago. Dolly chose to end her life to escape the bullying she was being subjected to. She was not even 15 years old. To think that anyone could feel so overwhelmed and that suicide was their only option is unfathomable. Bullying of any kind is unacceptable. It is abuse and it is time for us to stand up when we see any kind of bullying behaviour. Dolly could be anyone’s daughter, sister, friend. We need to make sure that anyone in crisis knows there is always someone to talk to. Be a friend, check up on your mates. Our hearts go out to Dolly’s family and friends. Amy ‘Dolly’ Everett 1.5.2003-3.1.2018 #stopbullyingnow #doitfordolly #justbekind A post shared by Akubra Hats Official (@akubraofficial) on Jan 9, 2018 at 12:13am PST The statement added: “Dolly could be anyone's daughter, sister, friend… Be a friend, check up on your mates.” Dolly’s death prompted an outpouring of support from friends, family and well-wishers across the country. Surveys in Australia have found about a quarter of students aged 8 to 14 have reported being bullied. "Dolly, beautiful girl your death has been a tragedy that we didn't foresee but your memory will make changes happen," said a message on Facebook. Numbers to call  



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

The Kushner Family's Company Is Being Investigated Over Use of a Controversial Visa Program

The Kushner Family's Company Is Being Investigated Over Use of a Controversial Visa ProgramThe program allows rich foreigners to get visas for investing in U.S. projects



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

4-day week being tested in some Oklahoma schools

4-day week being tested in some Oklahoma schoolsFacing a budget crisis and a teacher shortage, about 20 percent of schools in Oklahoma are trying a new approach: shorter school weeks, but longer days.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Kremlin says Russian satellite launch failures being investigated

Kremlin says Russian satellite launch failures being investigatedThe Kremlin said on Thursday that Russia was analyzing its space sector after two failed satellite launches in as many months. A spokeswoman for Russia’s space corporation Energiya confirmed on Thursday that Moscow had lost contact with Angola’s first national telecoms satellite, AngoSat-1, which was launched from the Baikonur cosmodrome on Tuesday.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines