Tag Archives: Attack

Jewish men beaten with belt in Berlin anti-Semitic attack

Jewish men beaten with belt in Berlin anti-Semitic attackThere has been public outrage in Germany after video footage emerged of two Jewish men being violently assaulted in an apparent anti-Semitic attack in central Berlin. The two men, who were both wearing kippah, traditional Jewish skullcaps, were insulted before being set upon and whipped with a belt in one of the city’s most fashionable neighbourhoods. A group of three unidentified men can be heard on the video clearly shouting “Yahudi”, the Arabic word for Jew. The two victims stood their ground and threatened to call the police before their main assailant was dragged away by his companions. The incident was videoed by one of the victims, who was named by Israeli television as Adam Armoush, a 21-year-old Israeli citizen living in Berlin.  Antisemitischer Angriff in #Berlin – ein Mann schlägt mit einem Gürtel auf einen Mann ein und bezeichnet ihn wiederholt als "Yahudi" (arabisch für "Jude"). #Antisemitismuspic.twitter.com/YCHVgCF1ox— Jüdisches Forum (@JFDA_eV) April 17, 2018 “They kept cursing at us and my friend asked them to stop,” Mr Armoush, who suffered minor injuries, told Kan TV. “They started to get angry and one of them ran at me and I knew it was important to film it because there would be no way to catch him by the time the police arrived.” The video shows the attacker whipping Mr Arnoush with a belt. The 21-year-old said he had suffered bruises and minor injuries. The other victim, a 24-year-old Israeli citizen, has not been named. The incident is the latest in a disturbing series of attacks on Jewish people in the German capital, which have seen men in skullcaps assaulted on the streets and Jewish children threatened in schools. Most of the incidents have involved Muslim assailants. “It is intolerable for young men to be attacked here just because they are wearing a kippah,” Heiko Maas, the German foreign minister, said in a statement. “Jews must never again feel threatened here. It is our responsibility to protect Jewish life.” “Anti-Semitism doesn’t belong to the Berlin we want to live in,” Michael Müller, the city’s mayor said. “It is unbearable to see a young Jewish man being attacked on the street in the well-heeled Berlin neighbourhood of Prenzlauer Berg because he recognizes himself as a Jew,” Levi Salomon of the Jewish Forum for Democracy and Against Anti-Semitism.  “This shows that Jewish people are not safe here. Politicians and civil society have to act. We do not need Sunday speeches anymore, we need action.” “It makes me angry when I see such hateful violence,” Aiman Mazyek of the Central Council of Muslims in Germany said. “Anti-Semitism must not be given an inch of space.”



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Russia may have tampered with chemical attack site, U.S. envoy says

Russia may have tampered with chemical attack site, U.S. envoy saysBy Anthony Deutsch THE HAGUE (Reuters) – Western countries accused Moscow on Monday of preventing inspectors from reaching the site of a suspected poison gas attack in Syria and said Russians or Syrians may have tampered with evidence on the ground. The United States, Britain and France launched air strikes on Saturday against what they described as three Syrian chemical weapons targets in retaliation for a suspected gas attack that killed scores of people in the Damascus suburb of Douma on April 7. Syria and its ally Russia deny using poison gas during their offensive this month, in which they seized the town that had been the last major rebel stronghold near the capital.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Russia to allow chemical weapons inspectors into Douma amid concerns attack site has been 'tampered with'

Russia to allow chemical weapons inspectors into Douma amid concerns attack site has been 'tampered with'Chemical weapons experts are due to arrive in Douma on Wednesday to probe the alleged poison gas attack, Russian officials said, as the US voiced fears Moscow may already have "tampered with" evidence at the site. Following weekend missile strikes on Syria by the US, France and Britain, Russia traded accusations with Western nations on Monday, dismissing as "a blatant lie" accusations that Moscow was hindering the investigation in Douma. The four nations confronted each other in tense emergency talks at the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) in The Hague as inspectors prepare for a difficult and dangerous mission. Syrian state media early Tuesday said air defence had shot down missiles over the central province of Homs, with the strikes reportedly targeting regime air bases. It was not known who carried out the attack, with Pentagon spokeswoman Heather Babb saying: "There are no US or coalition operations in that area." Israel's military declined to comment, as is its custom. Initial reports indicated that the incident may have been a false alarm and that Syrian forces may have opened fire by mistake. Syrian authorities distribute bread, vegetables and pasta to Douma residents more than a week after the attack Credit:  Hassan Ammar/ AP The developments came as UK parliament geared up for its second debate on the West's missile strikes on chemical weapons facilities at the weekend. Ahead of an emergency debate called by Jeremy Corbyn has insisted on parliamentary approval for intervention, Lord Hague told BBC Radio 4's Today programme on Monday morning that the Government had “quite possibly made a mistake” by recalling MPs to vote on action in Syria after the chemical attack in 2013. He said: “I don’t subscribe to the idea that any military action makes things worse. There have been many military actions and wars that have made it worse. "But I do strongly believe that if in 2013 Parliament had given us the permission to launch limited strikes … I do strongly believe that there would have been less Russian adventurism, less foreign intervention and fewer attacks by chemical weapons in the years since then.” The weekend missile strikes by the US, Britain and France were in response to an alleged chlorine and sarin gas attack in Douma on April 7 in which 40 people were said to have been killed. OPCW director general Ahmet Uzumcu said his nine-strong, all-volunteer team had reached Damascus, but so far "the team has not yet deployed to Douma". Syrian and Russian officials had warned of "pending security issues to be worked out before any deployment could take place," Uzumcu said. Igor Kirillov, head of Russia's radiological, biological and chemical protection unit, told reporters the roads still had to be de-mined and cleared and would be tested by UN security services on Tuesday. "On Wednesday is when we plan the arrival of the OPCW experts," he added at a press conference in the Russian embassy in The Hague. Pro Assad supporters were among an anti-war demonstration outside parliament in London on Monday Credit: TOLGA AKMEN/ AFP The US ambassador to the OPCW, Ken Ward, claimed however the Russians had already visited the site and "may have tampered with it with the intent of thwarting the efforts of the OPCW fact-finding mission". The Kremlin dismissed the claims. "I can guarantee that Russia has not tampered with the site," Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov told the BBC. And the Russian ambassador to the Netherlands, Alexander Shulgin, said it was a "blatant lie" that Moscow was hampering the investigation. Instead he said it was the United States, France and Britain who were "standing in the way" of the investigation by ordering air strikes "in the blink of an eye" before the OPCW team had had a chance to do their work. The missiles that US, French and British warships fired on suspected chemical facilities Saturday constituted the biggest Western attack against the regime in the seven-year war to topple Syrian President Bashar al-Assad. The targeted sites were largely empty, and were all said to be facilities for chemical weapons storage or production. British Prime Minister Theresa May and French President Emmanuel Macron faced anger Monday from their lawmakers for conducting the air strikes with the United States. Despite polls showing scant support for the move, May said it had been her "responsibility as prime minister to make these decisions," while Macron also defended his move as part of his constitutional powers. France urged OPCW nations to boost the organisation's work so it can completely dismantle Syria's "secret" toxic weapons programme. And the United States called for a clear condemnation by the OPCW of "the Syrian government for its reign of chemical terror". A boy sits on a chair along a damaged street in Douma, which was allegedly hit with a chlorine attack Credit: ALI HASHISHO/REUTERS The trio of Western powers that carried out the strikes warned they would repeat the operation if Damascus used chemical weapons again. Regime forces have now entered Douma and declared the entire Eastern Ghouta region around it fully retaken, ending a five-year siege and reclaiming an opposition bastion on the edge of the capital. Even though the OPCW team was not allowed in, the Syrian authorities organised a tour of the town for some foreign press. It included a visit to the main hospital to which the victims of the alleged chemical attack where taken. Medical student Marwan Jaber said no chemical weapons were used on April 7. "Suffocation cases arrived as a result of the debris, dust, fire and smoke. They were given routine treatment", he said. But "strangers entered as we were in a state of chaos and spread a rumour among people there had been a chemical attack, and people became alarmed". Damascus and Moscow have vehemently denied that any chemical weapons were used in Douma and alleged instead that grim videos showing civilians foaming at the mouth after the attack were staged. Russian ambassador Shulgin repeated the accusations telling reporters in The Hague that Douma residents had not been able to produce "a single body".



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Man Survives Shark Attack: 'He Bee-Lined Straight at Me'

Man Survives Shark Attack: 'He Bee-Lined Straight at Me'It was the second shark attack that day.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

US to impose new sanctions on Russia in wake of Syria chemical attack, says UN ambassador Nikki Haley

US to impose new sanctions on Russia in wake of Syria chemical attack, says UN ambassador Nikki HaleyWashington will impose new sanctions on Russia, US ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley has said – as Western allies look to put some diplomatic clout behind military strikes launched on Syria in the wake of an apparent chemical weapon attack. “Russian sanctions will be coming down,” Ms Haley said during on appearance on CBS’ Face the Nation, adding that the new sanctions are expected to be announced by treasury secretary Steve Mnuchin on Monday. It comes as the US, UK and France – who took part in the retaliatory strikes – push a draft resolution ahead of a meeting of the UN’s Security Council, also on Monday, which includes a proposal for an independent investigation into alleged chemical weapons attacks that identifies those responsible.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

UK could launch retaliatory cyber attack on Russia if infrastructure targeted – Sunday Times

UK could launch retaliatory cyber attack on Russia if infrastructure targeted - Sunday TimesBritain would consider launching a cyber attack against Russia in retaliation if Russia targeted British national infrastructure, the Sunday Times reported, citing unnamed security sources. Britain’s relations with Russia are at a historic low, after it blamed Russia for a nerve agent attack on former Russian spy Sergei Skripal and his daughter in England, prompting mass expulsions of diplomats. Russia has denied involvement, and on Saturday also condemned strikes against Syria by Western powers, which Britain took part in.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Western attack on Syria seen as 'limited' if now over: senior pro-Assad official

Western attack on Syria seen as 'limited' if now over: senior pro-Assad officialA U.S.-led attack on Syria will be seen as limited if it is now over and there is no second round of strikes, said a senior official in the regional alliance that has supported President Bashar al-Assad in the Syrian war. “If it is finished, and there is no second round, it will be considered limited,” the official told Reuters. Syrian state TV said the attack was being confronted by the pro-Damascus “anti-terror axis”, a phrase suggesting that Assad’s foreign allies, Iran and Russia, may be helping to defend Syria.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Russia says Britain helped fake Syria chemical attack

Russia says Britain helped fake Syria chemical attackRussia’s Defence Ministry said on Friday that Britain was involved faking a suspected chemical weapons attack in the Syrian town of Douma. Britain and its allies accuse Damascus of carrying out the suspected attack on Douma and are considering military action against Syria in response. Syria and its main ally Russia deny a chemical attack took place.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Russian presence in Syria a concern as US, UK, France attack

Russian presence in Syria a concern as US, UK, France attackKeir Simmons, NBC News foreign correspondent, reports live from Moscow on the Russian concerns in Syria and considerations made of the Russian presence by the joint strike by U.S., Britain, and France.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Mattis says U.S. "looking for the actual evidence" of chemical attack in Syria

Mattis says U.S. "looking for the actual evidence" of chemical attack in SyriaIn testimony before Congress, Defense Secretary James Mattis said the investigation into a possible chemical attack in Syria is ongoing. His testimony comes before an international team of experts is set to arrive in the country. CBS News national security correspondent David Martin reports.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines