Tag Archives: agrees

USC agrees to $215 million settlement in California gynecologist case

USC agrees to $  215 million settlement in California gynecologist caseThe University of Southern California has reached a $ 215 million proposed settlement with former patients of a gynecologist at the school who was accused of sexual abuse, the president of the university said in a letter on Friday seen by Reuters. The settlement centers on the conduct of George Tyndall, who practiced at USC until he was suspended in 2016 after a complaint from a health worker accusing him of making sexually inappropriate comments to patients. Hundreds of women have since then accused Tyndall of sexual abuse.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

USC agrees to pay $215M to settle doctor sex abuse claims

USC agrees to pay $  215M to settle doctor sex abuse claimsLOS ANGELES (AP) — The University of Southern California said Friday that it would pay $ 215 million to settle claims of sexual abuse and harassment by a school gynecologist, but lawyers for hundreds of the accusers say it's not enough money and the university has yet to fully disclose what it knew about the doctor's behavior.  



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Saudi Arabia agrees to Turkish police search of consulate as last known photo of Jamal Khashoggi emerges

Saudi Arabia agrees to Turkish police search of consulate as last known photo of Jamal Khashoggi emergesSaudi Arabia has agreed to let Turkish police search its consulate in Istanbul, Turkey said Tuesday, as a photograph emerged showing Jamal Khashoggi shortly before his disappearance.  The Turkish foreign ministry said Saudi Arabia would allow investigators into the consulate for the first time since Mr Khashoggi, a journalist critical of the Saudi government, disappeared last Tuesday.  Turkish officials have privately alleged that Mr Khashoggi was murdered and dismembered inside the consulate, although Ankara has not officially made the accusation.  Saudi Arabia has vehemently denied the charge and insists that Mr Khashoggi left the consulate safely last week after filing paperwork related to his upcoming marriage.  The Washington Post, where Mr Khashoggi wrote opinion articles, published a still CCTV image of the journalist going into the public entrance of the consulate. It is the last known picture of him. The image, apparently taken from a camera on a Turkish police guard post outside the consulate, is time stamped at 1.14pm on October 2, 2018.  Turkish officials have said that if Mr Khashoggi ever left the consulate he would have come out the same door and his exit would have been captured on the same camera.  The door which Mr Khashoggi entered before his disappearance Credit: Photo by Onur Coban/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images Recep Tayyip Erdogan, the Turkish president, challenged Saudi Arabia to prove its claim that Mr Khashoggi ever left the consulate. "If he left, you have to prove it with footage,” he said.  Hatice Cengiz, Mr Khashoggi’s Turkish fiancee, was waiting outside the consulate gates and realised something had gone wrong when the consulate shut at 3.30pm and he still had not emerged.  Ms Cengiz said she was “not giving up hope” that Mr Khashoggi was still alive, despite the grisly reports in the Turkish media.    “I hope we will soon learn what happened to him, and I still have hope that he is alive. But I need to know, where is Jamal? I have to know what has happened to him,” she told The Washington Post.  Ms Cengiz said she was frustrated at how little information she had received from Turkish authorities but said ultimately it is “the responsibility of Saudi Arabia to explain and prove how Jamal exited and from where and when”.  Donald Trump, the US president, said he was “concerned” by the case amid widespread media attention in the US.  Mr Khashoggi's fiancee said she was still holding out hope that he was alive Credit: AP Photo/Hasan Jamali, File The US State Department later called on Saudi Arabia “to support a thorough investigation of Mr. Khashoggi's disappearance and to be transparent about the results of that investigation”.  Turkish investigators are focused on two private Gulfstream jets which landed in Istanbul on the day Mr Khashoggi disappeared, according to several pro-government Turkish newspapers.  One jet, carrying nine people, allegedly landed in the early hours of October 2. Its passengers checked into two hotels near the consulate and booked rooms until October 5. However, all nine apparently checked out the same day and returned to the airport, where they flew on to the UAE.      The second jet, carrying six people, reportedly landed later in the day. Its passengers went straight to the consulate and then left in the evening for Egypt. Both flights allegedly later returned to Riyadh.  Investigators reportedly believe that Mr Khashoggi’s body might have been smuggled out of the consulate in diplomatic vans and then carried onto one of the planes.  The details will add to pressure on the Saudi government to explain who the 15 Saudis were and what they were doing during their brief trip to Istanbul.   Meanwhile, the BBC published off-air audio from an interview Mr Khashoggi gave in London, three days before he disappeared. “I don’t think I will be able to go home,” he said, when asked whether he thought he could return to Saudi Arabia.   The BBC was criticised on social media for airing the recordings without Mr Khashoggi’s consent and before there is any definitive proof of his death. 



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Rosenstein agrees to private meeting with House lawmakers

Rosenstein agrees to private meeting with House lawmakersDeputy AG Rosenstein will speak with lawmakers after reports that he had discussed secretly recording Trump, a source says.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Christine Blasey Ford Agrees To 'Provide First-Hand Knowledge' On Kavanaugh Allegation

Christine Blasey Ford Agrees To 'Provide First-Hand Knowledge' On Kavanaugh AllegationChristine Blasey Ford's attorneys say she "accepts" the Senate Judiciary



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

North Korea Agrees to Permanently Dismantle Nuclear Complex If U.S. Takes Corresponding Steps

North Korea Agrees to Permanently Dismantle Nuclear Complex If U.S. Takes Corresponding StepsNorth Korean leader Kim Jong Un agreed to permanently dismantle his main nuclear complex at Nyongbyon if the United States takes corresponding measures, South Korean President Moon Jae-in said Wednesday



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Former Trump campaign chief Paul Manafort pleads guilty and agrees to co-operate with Russia probe to avoid second trial

Former Trump campaign chief Paul Manafort pleads guilty and agrees to co-operate with Russia probe to avoid second trial  Donald Trump’s former campaign chairman Paul Manafort has agreed to “fully” cooperate with the Russian election meddling investigation in a plea deal to avoid a second criminal trial.  Manafort will have to conduct interviews and debriefings with the probe’s prosecutors, hand over documents and testify in future cases as part of the agreement, a judge said on Friday.  It means that a member of the Trump campaign’s inner circle has now agreed to tell Robert Mueller, the special counsel leading the Russia investigation, what really happened behind closed doors during the presidential race.  Paul Manafort is a former campaign chairman for Donald Trump's 2016 presidential bid Credit: AFP PHOTO / MANDEL NGAN Manafort pleaded guilty to two criminal charges – one for conspiracy against the United States and another for conspiracy to obstruct justice – but saw five other charges dropped as part of the deal.  It brings the total number of Trump aides who have pleaded guilty to crimes to five. The others are his former attorney Michael Cohen, former national security adviser Michael Flynn, former deputy campaign chairman Rick Gates and former campaign foreign policy adviser George Papadopoulos.  The White House attempted to put distance between Mr Trump and Manafort, whose crimes relate to his business dealings in Ukraine as a political consultant before he joined the campaign.  Profile | Paul Manafort Sarah Sanders, Mr Trump’s press secretary, said: "This had absolutely nothing to do with the President or his victorious 2016 Presidential campaign. It is totally unrelated." Manafort, who served as campaign chairman during the summer of 2016 and helped guide it through a turbulent Republican National Convention, has repeatedly refused to co-operate with the Mueller probe in the past.  But last month he was found guilty of eight counts of tax fraud, bank fraud and failure to report a foreign bank account. He was expected to face a prison term of up to a decade.  Mr Trump praised him shortly after the convictions as being "brave" for not ‘flipping’ – agreeing to hand over information to prosecutors in turn for leniency.  There were reports that the US president had discussed using his executive powers to pardon Manafort in private with aides. In public he did not rule out such a move.  However with Manafort facing a second criminal trial – jury selection was due to take place on Monday – reports begun to surface that the former aide was considering a deal.  On Friday morning, Mr Mueller’s team filed a new document outlining two criminal charges, down from an original seven – the first solid indication a plea agreement was coming.  The first charge related to money laundering, tax fraud, foreign bank accounts, lobbying and making misrepresentations to the Justice Department. The second was linked to witness tampering.  Donald Trump, left, and Paul Manafort at the Republican National Convention in July 2016 Credit: REUTERS/Rick Wilking Appearing in court in Alexandria, Virginia – just across the river from Washington DC – Manafort pleaded guilty to the crimes.  Judge Amy Berman Jackson said that as part of the plea deal he would have to cooperate "fully and truthfully" with Mr Mueller's investigators.  It remains unclear exactly what information Manafort has that was deemed of value to the prosecutors. It is also unclear whether the information relates to Mr Trump or other campaign figures.  Kevin Downing, Manafort’s lawyer, said that his client cut a deal with prosecutors "to make sure that his family was able to remain safe and live a good life”. He added that Manafort has "accepted responsibility".  Rudy Giuliani, Mr Trump's attorney, said: "The president did nothing wrong. Once again an investigation has concluded with a plea having nothing to do with President Trump or the Trump campaign."          



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Pentagon agrees to provide space for 20,000 migrant children

Pentagon agrees to provide space for 20,000 migrant childrenWASHINGTON (AP) — The Pentagon will make space available on military bases for as many as 20,000 unaccompanied migrant children detained after illegally crossing the U.S.-Mexico border, a spokesman said Thursday.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Tesla agrees to settle class action over Autopilot billed as 'safer'

Tesla agrees to settle class action over Autopilot billed as 'safer'The Tesla owners said they paid an extra $ 5,000 to have their cars equipped with the Autopilot software with additional safety features such as automated emergency braking and side collision warning. Tesla has agreed to place more than $ 5 million into a settlement fund, which will also cover attorney fees. The case has been closely watched in the automotive and legal communities, as it was the only known court challenge Tesla has faced with regard to its assisted-driving technology.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Starbucks agrees compensation with black men arrested while they waited for a friend

Starbucks agrees compensation with black men arrested while they waited for a friendTwo black men who were arrested as they waited for a friend in a Philadelphia Starbucks last month have reached settlements with the coffee chain and the city. The arrest of Donte Robinson and Rashon Nelson on 12 April was captured on video and widely shared online, sparking protests in Pennsylvania over accusations of racial profiling. Mr Robinson and Mr Nelson have now dropped their legal action against the city, agreeing to a symbolic $ 1 each in compensation and the commitment of $ 200,000 (£150,000) from officials to fund an entrepreneurship program for public school students. The men, both 23, also reached a confidential financial settlement with Starbucks, who also offered them the opportunity to complete their undergraduate degrees at Arizona State University with full tuition coverage. “We all recognise the importance of communication about differences and solutions, and that we will be measured by our action not words,” they said in a joint statement. Mr Robinson added: “It's not a right-now thing … but I feel like we will see the true change over time.” Starbucks issued an apology for the incident which saw a store manager call the police when the pair sat down before making an order as they waited for a friend to arrive.   The company responded by closing more than 8,000 of its US stores for an afternoon of racial bias training, with Starbucks CEO Kevin Johnson also apologising personally to the two men. Demonstrators protest over the arrests of Rashon Nelson and Donte Robinson Credit: AP “I want to thank Donte and Rashon for their willingness to reconcile,” said Mr Johnson. “I welcome the opportunity to begin a relationship with them to share learnings and experiences. “Starbucks will continue to take actions that stem from this incident to repair and reaffirm our values and vision for the kind of company we want to be.”   Rashon Nelson and Donte Robinson appear on Good Morning America Credit: ABC / Getty  Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney said the incident had “evoked a lot of pain” and put the city under a “national spotlight for unwanted reasons”. “I am pleased to have resolved the potential claims against the city in this productive manner,” he added.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines