Tag Archives: After

Ex-NFL Player In Custody After Instagram Post Prompts High School Closure

Ex-NFL Player In Custody After Instagram Post Prompts High School ClosureAn Instagram post by former Miami Dolphins player Jonathan Martin prompted a private Los Angeles area high school to shut down Friday as authorities worked to understand the somewhat cryptic message.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Boko Haram girls were not freed in heroic mission after all, Nigerian officials admit

Boko Haram girls were not freed in heroic mission after all, Nigerian officials admitNigerian officials have apologised after falsely claiming to have staged a dramatic rescue of a group of schoolgirls taken in a mass abduction by Boko Haram on Monday night. Officials in northern Yobe State had claimed on Wednesday to have rescued at least 50 of the girls, in what they described as a "gallant" mission by the Nigerian army. But late on Thursday night, they told families of the missing girls that there had in fact been no rescue at all, saying that the claims had been based on "unreliable" information from the security forces. "We have now established that the information we relied on to make the statement was not credible," said Yobi state spokesman Abdullahi Bego. "The Yobe State government apologises for that." The admission came amid claims from parents that four days after the initial kidnapping in the town of Dapchi, more than 100 girls remain unaccounted for.  At least five parents who were present fainted with the shock upon being told at an official briefing that their daughters were still missing after all. Boko Haram oppression in Nigeria, in pictures One parent, Kundiri Alhaji Bukar, told BBC Hausa language service: ''[The governor] said soldiers were dispatched but the military commander told him they could not locate the girls with the Boko Haram militants. He said no-one is really sure whether the girls were taken away by Boko Haram. But we on our part, we believe Boko Haram abducted the children." The backtracking by the Yobe state officials comes amid growing concerns about the government's handling of the incident. When reports of the attack on the school first surfaced earlier this week, officials initially claimed there had been no abductions at all, and that the missing girls had simply fled to surrounding villages. Critics have drawn comparisons with the government's handling of the notorious Chibok school abduction case in 2014, where officials likewise made a series of denials and contradictory statements before admitting that some 276 children had gone missing. As of Friday morning there was still no solid information on the number of girls believed to be missing. While some are thought to have been abducted, others may have fled to safety in surrounding villages and simply not yet contacted their parents. Mobile phone reception is limited in much of Nigeria's remote rural north. Sandals are strewn in the yard of the Government Girls Science and Technical College staff quarters in Dapchi, Nigeria, on February 22, 2018  Credit: AMINU ABUBAKAR/AFP/Getty Images On Wednesday, government officials told the Reuters news agency that around 50 girls were still missing. But one parent, Bashir Manzo, told the Associated Press news agency that parents had presented the state governor, Ibrahim Gaidam, with a list of 101 missing children at Thursday's official briefing. “[Mr Gaidam] told us the girls have not been found and we should continue to pray for their safe return,” another parent, Rabiu Sani, told the AP.   The flow of official misinformation over the case is likely anger President Muhamamdu Buhari, who was critical of his predecessor Goodluck Jonathan's handling of the Chibok case. Earlier this week, he despatched a team of ministers to the area in an attempt to demonstrate that he was responding quickly to the situation. “I share the anguish of all the parents and guardians of the girls that remain unaccounted for,” Mr Buhari tweeted on Wednesday evening. “I would like to assure them that we are doing all in our power to ensure the safe return of all the girls.”



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Lisa Marie Presley sues business manager after her $100m Elvis inheritance reduced to $14,000

Lisa Marie Presley sues business manager after her $  100m Elvis inheritance reduced to $  14,000Lisa Marie Presley is suing her former business manager for the loss of almost all her $ 100 million inheritance – accusing him of “reckless and negligent mismanagement” and claiming she has only $ 14,000 left. The only child of Elvis and Priscilla Presley, she inherited his entire estate on her 25th birthday, in 1993. Elvis’s fortune had dwindled to only a few million dollars at the time of his death in 1977, but the power of the Presley brand – including the tourist attraction Graceland – meant assets were built back up into the $ 100m trust. Yet 25 years later Presley, now 50 and a singer in her own right, claims she has been left with almost nothing thanks to the actions of Barry Siegel. She accused him, in a law suit filed in Los Angeles this week, of dissipating her wealth “through his reckless and negligent mismanagement and self serving-ambition”. She also claimed Mr Siegel’s “hopes of attaining his own celebrity in the entertainment industry” led him to place her assets in “risky ventures.” Elvis, outside his Memphis home, Graceland In the documents, Presley claimed Mr Siegel sold 85 per cent of her interest in Elvis Presley Enterprises. He then allegedly began liquidating Presley’s assets in order to supplement her trust’s income. Presley also claimed Mr Siegel’s business decisions left her with $ 500,000 in credit card debt. However, Mr Siegel and his company, Providence Financial Management, filed their own lawsuit in response to Presley’s claims, alleging her out-of-control spending led to her financial predicament, and counter-suing for $ 800,000 in damages. Leon Gladstone, a lawyer for Mr Siegel, said he had sued Presley first for non-payment. “It’s clear Lisa Marie is going through a difficult time in her life and looking to blame others instead of taking responsibility for her actions,” Mr Gladstone said. And the chapter is just the latest legal wrangling for Presley, who still lives in Memphis. She is currently battling her fourth ex-husband, father of her nine-year-old twins Michael Lockwood, in the divorce courts and claiming she is $ 16 million in debt – although Lockwood disputes that, saying “she has not disclosed her assets or their values”. She was previously married briefly to Michael Jackson and Nicholas Cage, and for nine years to musician Danny Keough, with who she has two children – a son, Benjamin, and a model daughter, Riley.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Parkland Survivor: 'I've Never Been So Unimpressed By A Person' After Trump Call

Parkland Survivor: 'I've Never Been So Unimpressed By A Person' After Trump CallPresident Donald Trump has spoken to and met with several survivors and family members of victims of last week’s school shooting in Parkland, Florida.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Why Schools Are Flooded With Threats After Mass Shootings

Why Schools Are Flooded With Threats After Mass ShootingsIn the days since last week’s mass shooting at Florida’s Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, schools across the country have been receiving an onslaught of copycat threats.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

We Need To Talk About Black Lives And Gun Violence After The Florida Shooting

We Need To Talk About Black Lives And Gun Violence After The Florida ShootingIn the week since a gunman killed 17 people at a high school in Parkland, Florida, there has been a national reckoning ― from student-led marches to wall-to-wall media coverage to White House events ― about gun violence and how to stop it.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Self-Proclaimed Polygamist Prophet Pleads Guilty to Child Rape After Police Discover 4 Girls in Raid

Self-Proclaimed Polygamist Prophet Pleads Guilty to Child Rape After Police Discover 4 Girls in RaidThe girls were found hidden in 50-gallon plastic water barrels



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

California student arrested with two assault rifles and 90 magazines after security guard overhears shooting threat

California student arrested with two assault rifles and 90 magazines after security guard overhears shooting threatA pair of assault rifles, nearly 100-high-capacity magazines and two handguns were discovered in the home of a 17-year-old who was arrested for threatening to open fire at his school in California.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Palestinian attacker dies after shot by Israeli soldiers: army

Palestinian attacker dies after shot by Israeli soldiers: armyA Palestinian died after attacking Israeli soldiers and being shot during clashes overnight in the occupied West Bank, the army said Thursday. Protests broke out when the Israeli army entered the Palestinian city of Jericho in a bid to arrest suspects. The man was identified by the Palestinian Prisoners’ Club as 33-year-old Yassin al-Saradeeh, from Jericho.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Armed deputy at Florida school resigns after failing to engage shooter

Armed deputy at Florida school resigns after failing to engage shooterThe armed deputy assigned to the campus of a Florida high school during a deadly shooting last week stayed outside the building during the attack and failed to engage the shooter, the county sheriff said on Thursday. As a consequence, Scott Peterson, on duty as the school resource officer at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, resigned from the department, said Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel, who earlier has suspended the officer from the force. Israel said he decided to suspend Peterson after viewing a video that showed the deputy’s actions during the rampage that killed 17 people.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines