Tag Archives: 2014

Ex-lawmaker says Biden inappropriately touched her in 2014

Ex-lawmaker says Biden inappropriately touched her in 2014Joe Biden, who is leading polls for the Democratic presidential nomination, on Friday faced a misconduct accusation by a Nevada ex-lawmaker claiming the then-vice president inappropriately kissed her before a campaign event. Lucy Flores, the state’s Democratic nominee for lieutenant governor in 2014, said she was beside the stage awaiting her turn to address a rally when Biden put his hands on her shoulders from behind, then leaned in and smelled her hair. “I was mortified,” Flores, 39, recounted in New York magazine.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Man Walks Into Police Station, Confesses to Killing Connecticut Jogger in 2014: Cops

Man Walks Into Police Station, Confesses to Killing Connecticut Jogger in 2014: CopsWilliam Winters Leverett, a registered sex offender, told Simsbury police he fatally stabbed insurance executive Melissa Millan.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Israel: No criminal action in deadly Gaza 2014 war incident

Israel: No criminal action in deadly Gaza 2014 war incidentJERUSALEM (AP) — The Israeli military said on Wednesday its investigation into one of the bloodiest incidents of the 2014 war in the Gaza Strip found no criminal wrongdoing by Israeli forces and there were no grounds to prosecute any troops.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Dozens of mortars fired from Gaza into Israel in heaviest barrage since 2014 war

Dozens of mortars fired from Gaza into Israel in heaviest barrage since 2014 warIsraeli warplanes struck targets across Gaza on Tuesday in response to dozens of mortar shells fired by Palestinian militants, triggering the most serious exchange of fire between the two sides since the end of the 2014 Gaza conflict.  The Israeli military said 28 projectiles were fired out of Gaza into southern Israel at around 7am local time. One person was lightly wounded in the barrage and one shell fell into the yard of a kindergarten, spraying the school with shrapnel.  Suspicion for the attack immediately fell on Islamic Jihad, a smaller militant faction which is tolerated by Hamas, the Islamist rulers of the Gaza Strip. Within hours of the shelling, Israeli jets began to strike Hamas and Islamic Jihad outposts across Gaza.  An Israeli military spokesman said a second wave of projectiles was fired from Gaza at around 3pm. The exchange of fire comes after weeks of heightened tensions on the Gaza border, where Israeli forces have killed more than 100 Palestinians during protests. Most the dead were unarmed but some were engaged in bomb and gun attacks on Israeli troops.  Although neither Israel nor the Palestinian militant factions are looking for a full blown war, the shooting raised concerns about a an escalation of violence that could send both sides stumbling into all out conflict.  "Israel views with utmost gravity the attacks against it and its communities by Hamas and Islamic Jihad from the Gaza Strip,” said Benjamin Netanyahu, the Israeli prime minister. “Israel will exact a heavy price from anyone who tries to attack it, and we view Hamas as responsible for preventing such attacks against us.” The IDF will respond with great force to these attacks. Israel will exact a heavy price from anyone who tries to attack it, and we view Hamas as responsible for preventing such attacks against us.— Benjamin Netanyahu (@netanyahu) May 29, 2018 The mortar shells fell in and around Israeli communities near the Gaza border, triggering air raid sirens and sending thousands of Israelis running for bomb shelters. The Israeli military said most of the projectiles were intercepted by Israel’s Iron Dome missile defence system.  Video from the Israeli kindergarten showed the front of the building had been pockmarked by shrapnel from a mortar. No children were injured.  Merav Cohen, an Israeli mother who lives near the kindergarten, said she would not send her to children to school on Tuesday after the attack. “Seven o’clock is the busiest time of day. This could have ended differently,” she told the Walla news website.  Islamic Jihad did not outright claim responsibility for the attack but praised the shelling as legitimate resistance to Israel. "Our people's blood is not cheap and Israel can't continue spilling it without deterrence," an Islamic Jihad spokesman said after the barrage. Three Islamic Jihad fighters were killed by Israeli forces on Saturday Credit: Abed Rahim Khatib/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images Israeli forces killed three Islamic Jihad fighters on Sunday after they tried to plant an explosive near the Gaza border fence, according to Israel’s military. The Islamist group had vowed revenge for the killings.  Israel has a policy of holding Hamas responsible for any attacks coming out of Gaza, regardless of which group actually did the shooting.  More than 30 airstrikes were carried out in Gaza, according to the Israeli military. There was no immediate word on casualties.  #Israeli air strikes in central and south #Gaza targeting military positions that belong to islamic Jihad in Gaza , no causalities confirmed by #Palestinian health ministry yet. Photos by journalist Moneeb Saada pic.twitter.com/FOwjp4wUrr— Nasser Atta (@nasseratta5) May 29, 2018 Hamas and other factions have refrained from firing rockets into Israel since February but there has been a spike in shooting in recent days. On Monday night, heavy machine gun fire from Gaza hit a house in the Israeli town of Sderot. Another house in Sderot was hit by gunfire two weeks earlier.  Emanuele Giaufret, the EU ambassador to Israel, condemned the attack as "totally unacceptable".  As kids were preparing for school this morning a barrage of rockets from Gaza fell on southern Israel. One landed outside a kindergarten. I know the resilience of communities in southern Israel but indiscriminate attacks are totally unacceptable and to be condemned unreservedly.— Emanuele Giaufret (@EGiaufretEU) May 29, 2018  



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Virgin Galactic completes first powered flight since  fatal crash in 2014 

Virgin Galactic completes first powered flight since  fatal crash in 2014 Virgin Galactic has completed its first powered flight since a fatal crash nearly four years, a milestone which Sir Richard Branson said brought space ‘tantalisingly close.’ The company has struggled to re-establish itself following the death of co-pilot Michael Alsbury, 39, who was killed when his aircraft crashed into the Mojave Desert in California in October 2014. Virgin Galactic had promised to send space tourists to the edge of Earth’s atmosphere where they could see the curvature of the planet and experience weightlessness. But after Captain Alsbury’s death, some customers who had already bought tickets demanded refunds, and the company spent years redesigning the craft, carrying out extensive engine testing and glide tests before attempting another supersonic flight. Virgin Galactic's Unity aircraft completed its first powered flight in the Mojave desert Credit: Virgin Galactic  On Thursday the Unity spacecraft took up with a two member crew from the Mojave Air and Space port, lifted by the jet-powered mothership Eve. It then powered up for 30 seconds and landed safely. It puts Britain firmly back in the commercial tourism and launch provider space race, which until recently the US appeared to be winning. Branson said Virgin Galactic was ‘back on track’ and confirmed that the flight had reached Mach 1.6, more than 1.5 times the speed of sound. Announcing the success on Twitter, he added: “Data review to come, then on to the next flight. Space feels tantalisingly close now.” The entire project has been dogged with problems. Two of the six flights made by SpaceShipOne suffered potentially catastrophic problems. And in 2007, an explosion killed three engineers. It is the first time Virgin Galactic has completed a power flight since the death of Captain Michael Alsbury in October 2014 Credit: Virgin Galactic Before the accident, Virgin Galactic said the first space tourism flights would begin in the Spring of 2015. Even in the November following the crash CEO George Whitesides said it would be ‘months not years’ until commercial flights began, but an investigation found there had been inadequate safety features and the team was forced to go back to the drawing board, unveiling a new design in 2016. Around 24 passengers pulled out and have had the $ 250,000 (£157,000) ticket price refunded. Although some may only have paid deposits, the company stands to lose more than £3 million in lost sales. High profile ticket-holders include Angelina Jolie, Kate Winslet and, until his death Stephen Hawking. In October, Virgin Galactic was given a huge $ 1 billion boost from the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. At the time, Branson said the company was just months away from sending a ship into Earth’s atmosphere. Following the flight Virgin Galactic tweeted: “Touch down. Congratulations Mark “Forger” Stucky and Dave Mackay for a great milestone test flight”



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Virgin Galactic completes first powered flight since  fatal crash in 2014 

Virgin Galactic completes first powered flight since  fatal crash in 2014 Virgin Galactic has completed its first powered flight since a fatal crash nearly four years, a milestone which Sir Richard Branson said brought space ‘tantalisingly close.’ The company has struggled to re-establish itself following the death of co-pilot Michael Alsbury, 39, who was killed when his aircraft crashed into the Mojave Desert in California in October 2014. Virgin Galactic had promised to send space tourists to the edge of Earth’s atmosphere where they could see the curvature of the planet and experience weightlessness. But after Captain Alsbury’s death, some customers who had already bought tickets demanded refunds, and the company spent years redesigning the craft, carrying out extensive engine testing and glide tests before attempting another supersonic flight. Virgin Galactic's Unity aircraft completed its first powered flight in the Mojave desert Credit: Virgin Galactic  On Thursday the Unity spacecraft took up with a two member crew from the Mojave Air and Space port, lifted by the jet-powered mothership Eve. It then powered up for 30 seconds and landed safely. It puts Britain firmly back in the commercial tourism and launch provider space race, which until recently the US appeared to be winning. Branson said Virgin Galactic was ‘back on track’ and confirmed that the flight had reached Mach 1.6, more than 1.5 times the speed of sound. Announcing the success on Twitter, he added: “Data review to come, then on to the next flight. Space feels tantalisingly close now.” The entire project has been dogged with problems. Two of the six flights made by SpaceShipOne suffered potentially catastrophic problems. And in 2007, an explosion killed three engineers. It is the first time Virgin Galactic has completed a power flight since the death of Captain Michael Alsbury in October 2014 Credit: Virgin Galactic Before the accident, Virgin Galactic said the first space tourism flights would begin in the Spring of 2015. Even in the November following the crash CEO George Whitesides said it would be ‘months not years’ until commercial flights began, but an investigation found there had been inadequate safety features and the team was forced to go back to the drawing board, unveiling a new design in 2016. Around 24 passengers pulled out and have had the $ 250,000 (£157,000) ticket price refunded. Although some may only have paid deposits, the company stands to lose more than £3 million in lost sales. High profile ticket-holders include Angelina Jolie, Kate Winslet and, until his death Stephen Hawking. In October, Virgin Galactic was given a huge $ 1 billion boost from the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. At the time, Branson said the company was just months away from sending a ship into Earth’s atmosphere. Following the flight Virgin Galactic tweeted: “Touch down. Congratulations Mark “Forger” Stucky and Dave Mackay for a great milestone test flight”



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Putin order for bomb threat plane to be downed in 2014 canceled after false alarm

Putin order for bomb threat plane to be downed in 2014 canceled after false alarmRussia’s Vladimir Putin in 2014 ordered a passenger aircraft which was reported to be carrying a bomb and targeting the opening of the Winter Olympic Games in Sochi to be downed, the president said in a film shown on Sunday. In a 2-hour documentary titled “Putin” and available on Russian social media, Putin told reporter Andrey Kondrashov he received a telephone call from security officers responsible for the Sochi Olympics on Feb. 7, 2014, shortly before the opening ceremony was due to start. “I was told: a plane en route from Ukraine to Istanbul was seized, captors demand landing in Sochi,” Putin said in the film seen by Reuters.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Vladimir Putin Gave the Order for a Passenger Plane to Be Shot Down in 2014

Vladimir Putin Gave the Order for a Passenger Plane to Be Shot Down in 2014The threat was a false alarm and the plane was not shot down



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Putin says he approved plan to shoot down plane in 2014

Putin says he approved plan to shoot down plane in 2014MOSCOW (AP) — Russian President Vladimir Putin has said in a new documentary that he approved of a plan to shoot down a hijacked passenger jet four years ago.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines

Christina Morris Case: Remains of Texas Woman Missing Since 2014 Found

Christina Morris Case: Remains of Texas Woman Missing Since 2014 FoundChristina Morris was 23 years old when she vanished on Aug. 30, 2014.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines