North Korea shows Guam attack in new video as it warns of 'merciless revenge' against US over drills

North Korea shows Guam attack in new video as it warns of 'merciless revenge' against US over drillsNorth Korea has unveiled a propaganda video of its threat to fire missiles near the US territory of Guam as it threatened the US with “merciless revenge” for ignoring Pyongyang’s warnings over annual military drills with South Korea. Displaying images of Donald Trump staring at a cemetery filled with crosses and Vice-President Mike Pence enveloped by flames, the nearly 4 minute video showed the island of Guam being targeted by intermediate-range ballistic missiles.  "Americans should live with their eyes and ears wide open. They will be tormented day and night by the Hwasong-12 rockets without knowing when they will be launched," the caption reads, according to Yonhap. "They will be in jitters." An image of Mike Pence in the propaganda video from North Korea Credit: YouTube/uriminzokkiri "(We) just wish US policymakers should seriously think twice ahead of an obvious outcome (of a war)," another caption says, showing a photo of US Defence Secretary James Mattis. "Time is not on the US side." With the exercises continuing on Tuesday,  North Korea upped its rhetoric, saying it would be a misjudgment for the US to think that Pyongyang would “sit comfortably without doing anything,” the state-run Korean Central News Agency said, citing an unidentified military spokesman. The ongoing drills and visits of US military officials to South Korea create the circumstances for a “mock war” on the Korean peninsula, KCNA said. The comments represent a more belligerent tone after a war of words between the US and North Korea appeared to have subsided. Map: Guam in relation to North Korea Mr Trump praised North Korean leader Kim Jong-un last week for waiting to launch missiles over Japan into waters near Guam, after previously warning of “fire and fury” if he continued to threaten the American homeland. Tensions increased in July after North Korea conducted two intercontinental ballistic missile tests. Mr Trump has said military force is an option to prevent Mr Kim from gaining an ICBM that could deliver a nuclear weapon to the US. On Monday, South Korea President Moon Jae-in said North Korea shouldn’t use the latest round of drills as an excuse for any further provocations. The exercises “are not aimed at raising military tensions on the Korean peninsula at all,” Mr Moon told Cabinet members. China opposes US and South Korean military exercises 02:04 Mr Kim made a visit in early August to a guard post about 1 kilometer (0.6 miles) from the border with the South, Yonhap News reported, citing unidentified South Korean government officials. The South Korean military considers the visit an unusual act and is preparing to prevent a possible military provocation, Yonhap said. The Ulchi-Freedom Guardian military drills routinely spark condemnation from North Korea. During last year’s drills, North Korea launched a ballistic missile from a submarine and put its military on the highest alert. The exercise is a computerised command-and-control simulation, said a spokeswoman for US Forces in Korea. It will be of similar size to last year’s event with no field training, she said. A member of Special Weapon and Tactics (SWAT) rappels down during an anti-terror drill as a part of the Ulchi Freedom Guardian exercise in Goyang Credit: Reuters About 17,500 US service members are taking part, down from 25,000 last year. Mr Mattis said the reduction in numbers simply reflects a need for fewer personnel, and hasn’t been scaled back in response to tensions with North Korea. The US should never forget that North Korea is watching its moves closely with “fingers on triggers, ready to pour a fire shower of penalties at any time,” according to KCNA.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines