Barcelona terror suspect Younes Abouyaaqoub 'shot dead wearing suicide belt'

Barcelona terror suspect Younes Abouyaaqoub 'shot dead wearing suicide belt'Police in Catalonia have shot dead Younes Abouyaaqoub, identified the probable driver of the van that killed 13 people on Barcelona’s Ramblas last week, as the manhunt zeroed in on him as the last remaining fugitive from the terrorist cell. According to a Spanish reports, he was shot by police while wearing an explosives belt. It is unknown whether it was real or false. The public had been warned that he was dangerous and could be armed. As the manhunt was launched following the attack, Joaquin Form, the Catalan regional interior secretary, told local radio that “everything indicates” that Abouyaaqoub, a 22-year-old Moroccan and resident of the northern town of Ripoll, was the van driver. Early CCTV images emerged appearing to show Abouyaaqoub making his escape on foot through Barcelona’s La Boqueria market following Thursday afternoon’s attack.  Handout photos made available by Spanish Police showing Younes Abauyaaqoub Credit: Mossos handout Following the attack, security forces launched a major operation in the north of Catalonia and in particular along the French border. Mr Form said there was no evidence that Abouyaaqoub had left the region, but said authorities were coordinating with other governments as the fugitive was being sought “in all European countries”.  French media reported that the car used by five of the terrorists in a second attack in the seaside town of Cambrils was caught speeding near Paris just days earlier. It was "neither rented nor stolen", according to investigative sources cited by BFMTV, and was caught by a speed camera in the Essonne, south of Paris. CCTV images have emerged appearing to show Younes Abouyaaqoub making his escape on foot through Barcelona’s La Boqueria market Credit: El Pais The black Audi A3 was used to plough into residents and tourists at Cambrils late on Thursday night, killing one woman and injuring several others. At this stage, no "logistical" link or other "connection" has been established with France, sources close to the probe told Le Parisien. However, it came amid reports that the group had made a series of “suspicious” trips to France before the attacks. CCTV images have emerged appearing to show Younes Abouyaaqoub making his escape on foot through Barcelona’s La Boqueria market Credit: El Pais It has also emerged that the imam suspected of masterminding the Barcelona terrorist attacks often travelled to Belgium and was in the country in the three months before the Brussels bombings last year. Police are seeking to establish whether Abdelbaki Es Satty, who is thought to have radicalised the younger members of the cell that attacked Las Ramblas and Cambrils, was involved in the Isil bombings on Brussels airport and a Metro station that killed 32 people on March 22, 2016. The discovery raises the possibility of a link between the Spanish terrorist cell and the jihadists who carried out the Brussels attacks, and who were also behind the November 2015 atrocities in Paris. Civilians mourn at an impromptu memorial at Las Ramblas, Barcelona Credit:  REUTERS Swiss police also confirmed on Sunday that at least one of the attackers, whom they did not name, had travelled to Zurich at the end of last year. Moussa Oukabir, 17, Mohammed Hychami, 23 and Said Aallaa, 19, all believed to be of Moroccan origin, have been officially identified as among the attackers killed.  The other two have been named by Spanish press as Omar Hychami, Mohammed’s brother, and Houssaine Aouyaaquoub, who is presumed to be a family member of Younes Aouyaaquoub. Terror in Spain: Dozens killed and injured in Barcelona and Cambrils Catalan investigators are working on the theory that Es Satty and another cell member were killed in an blast in a house in the town of Alcanar on Wednesday night, which was first suspected to be a drugs lab but where they now believe the cell was preparing an attack with explosives.  However the two bodies found in the rubble have yet to be formally identified. Barcelona attack key articles 4:14PM Abouyaaqoub confirmed dead Spanish police have confirmed that they shot dead a man. 17:05h La persona sospitosa de #Subirats porta adherit al cos el que sembla un cinturó d'explosius. L'individu ha estat abatut— Mossos (@mossos) August 21, 2017 3:55PM Police announce operation The Mossos d'Esquadra have announced an operation in the area but have not confirmed any other details. Spanish media claimed the police had received a tip off from a resident in Subirats and on attending the scene were fired upon. The man was wearing an explosive belt and cried "Allahu Akhbar," according to reports. There was no immediate word on whether the suspect was dead or alive.  16:39h Operatiu policial en marxa a Subirats. Difoneu només informació oficial— Mossos (@mossos) August 21, 2017 3:47PM Barcelona suspect caught by police Spanish police Mossos have stopped Younes Abouyaaqoub in Sant Sadurni, 60km from Barcelona, according to local media reports.



Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines